Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What about foreign food!?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Can someone help me out here. It seems to me, that there are not many foreign restaurants in Ireland. I don`t mean the typical Chinese or Italian Take away, but where are the Thai, Caribbean,Cuban, Mexican and other exotic restaurants? Has anyone seen any?
    Would like to hear if you have. I do miss this food very much.
    Or are there any food markets where I could buy the stuff I need to cook this dishes?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I'd say you'll have to venture into Dublin.

There's a Cuban restaurant in Ballsbridge and plenty of Mexican and Thai places throughout. Not sure about other Caribbean (Cayman, Jamaican, etc.) places.

As well as that there are loads of ethnic (Central European, Chinese, Indian, etc.) stores in all parts of the city.

Just a question... do you happen to come from a suburb of Leipzig? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

I'd say you'll have to venture into Dublin.

There's a Cuban restaurant in Ballsbridge and plenty of Mexican and Thai places throughout. Not sure about other Caribbean (Cayman, Jamaican, etc.) places.

As well as that there are loads of ethnic (Central European, Chinese, Indian, etc.) stores in all parts of the city.

Just a question... do you happen to come from a suburb of Leipzig? :D

Hi little Alex!
    Thanks again for your reply. I do come from Leipzig and Connewitz is a suburb of it. Yeah!!!! Do you know it?
    But back to the restaurants- do you happen to know the name of the Cuban Restaurant? Just easier to find then.:o
    There will be no way around it, I will have to do a trip to Dublin to satisfy my appetite. Like my partner used to say:" You and your foreign mug!";)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Try looking on menu pages. You can search by location & cuisine.

http://www.menupages.ie/Home.aspx

WindSock wrote: »
    Try looking on menu pages. You can search by location & cuisine.

http://www.menupages.ie/Home.aspx

Hi WindSock!
    Will see what this link brings. I just love all foreign food and do miss it very much in Ireland. Live in a small village and there is only the usual Chinese and the rest are Chippers. Means, I always have to drive a long way for good food. That`s why I would like to get some recommendations before going on a long journey!;)

For Thai I would recommend Koh and Saba. Kunum near Baggot St. do a nice takeaway too. There is a Cuban on Georges st called Havana, not too sure how good it is, looks nice. There is a lovely Nepalese called Montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar aswell. Not too sure of Caribbean places but there is a Cajun / Creole also Temple bar called Tante Zoes.

• Advertisement

Roughly whereabouts do you live?

The Cuban restaurant in Ballsbridge is called Bella Cuba.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Roughly whereabouts do you live?

The Cuban restaurant in Ballsbridge is called Bella Cuba.

Thanks for the post! I am living in Monasterevin, Co. Kildare. To go out for a meal I would have to go by train or car. My son is living in Dublin. Near the Gervais Centre. Maybe you can give me an idea, how to go from there to the Cuban restaurant.
    Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I'd love to try some of the foregin food in the supermarkets to cook myself - but I can't understand the packaging -

For Thai I would recommend Koh and Saba. Kunum near Baggot St. do a nice takeaway too. There is a Cuban on Georges st called Havana, not too sure how good it is, looks nice. There is a lovely Nepalese called Montys of Kathmandu in Temple Bar aswell. Not too sure of Caribbean places but there is a Cajun / Creole also Temple bar called Tante Zoes.

Thanks a lot. This will push me now to Dublin. My son is living there, so he and his girlfriend can come as well.
    Because I am living in Co. Kildare, I do not know, where Koh and Saba are located. Can you give me this address as well, please?
    THANK YOU!!!!!:D

deelite wrote: »
    I'd love to try some of the foregin food in the supermarkets to cook myself - but I can't understand the packaging -

Know exactly what you mean!;)
    Since I am German, I could help you with all kinds of german packaging.

• Advertisement

connewitz wrote: »
    Thanks a lot. This will push me now to Dublin. My son is living there, so he and his girlfriend can come as well.
    Because I am living in Co. Kildare, I do not know, where Koh and Saba are located. Can you give me this address as well, please?
    THANK YOU!!!!!:D

You mentioned your son lives in near Gervais st, did you mean Jervis?

Koh is right beside it on the Millenium Walkway

http://www.koh.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Hi little Alex!
    Thanks again for your reply. I do come from Leipzig and Connewitz is a suburb of it. Yeah!!!! Do you know it?
    But back to the restaurants- do you happen to know the name of the Cuban Restaurant? Just easier to find then.:o
    There will be no way around it, I will have to do a trip to Dublin to satisfy my appetite. Like my partner used to say:" You and your foreign mug!";)

So, you should be alright now with all the replies! :)

Yes, I used to live in Leipzig and I recognised the name Connewitz.

You mentioned your son lives in near Gervais st, did you mean Jervis?

Koh is right beside it on the Millenium Walkway

http://www.koh.ie/

Of course it is Jervis Center! ( I only wrote the posher word :o)
    But it is great, that the place is so close to it. Will tell my son and he can go and try!
    Thanks!!!!!

So, you should be alright now with all the replies! :)

Yes, I used to live in Leipzig and I recognised the name Connewitz.

Where did you live? I lived near the melting pot of the Karl-Liebknecht-Strasse (everybody just said "Karli"). Loved it there. It was new, old, boring and crazy on one single street for miles and miles.
    Thanks for all the recommendations. I got some nice restaurants here. Still in the (stupid) hope for one, just one Jamaican or Caribbean Restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Baan Thai which is across the road from Bella Cuba in Ballsbridge does great Thai food.

Sergeant wrote: »
    Baan Thai which is across the road from Bella Cuba in Ballsbridge does great Thai food.

I am happy about every suggestion and when you can recommend the food - even better!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

There is a Cuban on Georges st called Havana, not too sure how good it is, looks nice.

It's not Cuban, just the name. Havana is a tapas bar.

MediaTank wrote: »
    It's not Cuban, just the name. Havana is a tapas bar.

As long as the tapas are good I don`t mind if it is a restaurant or a bar.
    Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

LOL

The thread title suggests that what is to follow is an ignorant, xenophobic rant about 'all than foreign muck' that all the 'trendies' are eating these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

As long as the tapas are good I don`t mind if it is a restaurant or a bar.
    Thanks a lot!
    Personally I don't think they are good. Pinxto is better, but there must be something better than that also.

If you really want Cuban food, it really will not take long to get out to Ballsbridge from town for Bella Cuba.

• Advertisement

LOL

The thread title suggests that what is to follow is an ignorant, xenophobic rant about 'all than foreign muck' that all the 'trendies' are eating these days.

Hope you enjoy all the recommendations on nice restaurants. I am very happy about it. Can start to explore more in Dublin than only pubs.

Advertisement