Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registrations Office Staff - Kevin Street

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭

I'm not going to have a rant, but I'm getting very irritated and upset over the attitude of the Registrations Office team in Kevin Street. One woman in particular is very rude, ignorant and offensive.

Whether you're getting forms stamped, collecting documents or student cards, or doing any material- you're treated very badly. I've witnessed many people being snapped at and being treated as if their legitimate request is unnecessary and a complete burden to them. The woman, mentioned earlier, snaps at the students (Undergrad- and mature), speaks down to them, criticises them for requesting work which they are employed to do and generally are treated like dirt. I've found them to be very unhelpful and rude- in particular the aforementioned staff member.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem.

In short, it has to be dealt with; they've no right to be nasty and snide to students, even in the irregular dealings they have, even when they are being polite and courteous; the manners are in no way reciprocated.

Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm not going to have a rant, but I'm getting very irritated and upset over the attitude of the Registrations Office team in Kevin Street. One woman in particular is very rude, ignorant and offensive.

Whether you're getting forms stamped, collecting documents or student cards, or doing any material- you're treated very badly. I've witnessed many people being snapped at and being treated as if their legitimate request is unnecessary and a complete burden to them. The woman, mentioned earlier, snaps at the students (Undergrad- and mature), speaks down to them, criticises them for requesting work which they are employed to do and generally are treated like dirt. I've found them to be very unhelpful and rude- in particular the aforementioned staff member.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has experienced this problem.

In short, it has to be dealt with; they've no right to be nasty and snide to students, even in the irregular dealings they have, even when they are being polite and courteous; the manners are in no way reciprocated.

Anyone else noticed this?

I completely agree; it's a disgrace they way they deal with students.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

3'rded. I dread dealing with them. They treat students as if they're some sort of ridiculous intrusion on their real work, and that's if and when they can be bothered talking to you at all.

They'd want to be careful they don't wear themselves out with all the tutting and eyerolling or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. I've not heard complaints about the other college's administators, so it only seems to be these guys.

It's really bugging me. A fellow student left a lecture early to collect a student card and a registration related form and they were told (angrily) to come back over one and a half hours later when they reopened. Very bad- apparently the form was on the staff member's desk and required no effort. The office was not to close for a number of minutes. Because of this they had to miss their bus home (outside Dublin) to wait and collect the materials. Needless to say, she was very upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Dunno if its still the same staff or not but it would appear some things never change in Kevin St. I left in 2001 and in my 3 years there it was always the same. Nobody ever did anything about it though as far as I'm aware? I just tried to go up there a little as possible!

You shouldn't need to restrict going there just because of poor treatment. It's not right.

It's worse to see that the behaviour (same staff or not) was even going on in your time, and that nothing was done.

I love DIT, I really do, but this sort of nonsense shouldn't take place. It's disgraceful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I think I know exactly who you're talking about!

Went up to see about sorting out my student card the first week back.
    Snapped at because I was collecting it late.
    Snapped at again because I just informed this person the reason I was collecting it late was because I couldn't register as the system wouldn't let me.
    Was then told oh, well they hadn't printed my card as I registered late.
    Didn't know when they'd be doing another batch.
    Don't know if they'd be doing another batch.
    Didn't know where I could get a card done.
    Didn't know if I had to enquire myself or if it would be done automatically.

But, who do you complain to though?

I raised it with the Students Union a few years ago who said they would forward it on but heard nothing more. It's doing DIT no favours if they're trying to encourage people to do nightcourses and pay vast amounts of money, if that's how they're going to be treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

I seen this happen last year as well. Some guy went up to register and she absolutely lost the head cause he hadn't registered online before he inconvenienced her.

In fairness the registrations office does have to work hard for them two weeks of the year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I agree. You're treated as a burden.

Same with the staff in the library. Everything is a burden to them (except for the man with the grey hair, hes very helpful). Staff in Aungier's library are much nicer and much more willing to help. So i avoid Kevin St library constantly.

Yup; it's bad alright.
    I've seen students being told false lies to avoid having to deal with them.
    Foreign national students have no clue and are shipped off elsewhere.

I witnessed three students, based in Kevin Street, unable to collect their student cards due to the fact that the registration wasn't working, being told to queue at Aungier Street between 2pm and 3pm to collect it and "not to come a minute late; not even 3.01- if you're after that don't bother".

Lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

One woman in particular is very rude, ignorant and offensive.

Pretty sure i know who you are talking about.
    My first day she snapped at me because i didn't know where to collect my student card (first floor in that little camera room).
    Such a horrible woman, if she'd smile she'd crack her face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Dubstar07

I've started in the 2nd year of a post grad course and have yet to tackle the Regisrations office. But I remember last year having being met with some attitude by the staff there. I was part of a group who were addmitted onto courses as they were unemployed. Everybody had similar problems plus we didn't get access to webcourses for weeks as a result!!!

Also I remember there being staff siiting in another hatch not doing anything and ignoring the line of people waiting for the 'student' hatch!!!

It's not totally the fault of the staff, the managers and unions have a hand in it too and the fact that no one is accountable!!
    Happy studies though!!!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 darabunny

the registrations staff in kevin street have always been very helpful to me, i was repeating last year and they helped me the whole way. cant say a bad word about them.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sh00ta

neil_18_ wrote: »
    I agree. You're treated as a burden.

Same with the staff in the library. Everything is a burden to them (except for the man with the grey hair, hes very helpful). Staff in Aungier's library are much nicer and much more willing to help. So i avoid Kevin St library constantly.

Interesting you should say this because a week ago I went into the library to get my library pin reset which was done perfectly courteously etc etc.
    For some reason it didn't work so I went in to reset it again and was told that the library staff don't and can't do it by a different person, a young enough guy. (Kev Street Lib)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

There is only one really helpful and nice lady I've come accross in the registrations office, at around exam time she gets rooms for people in the disability system with a supervisor, whenever I've talked to her shes always been plesent and helpful, the rest of the staff however... Either seem uninterested or couldnt care.
    I went to collect my student card a 2 weeks back, was informed I missed my gleeson hall collection (Didnt even realise they changed the system this year, however some of my classmates were present at gleeson hall at collection time and no one showed up apparently!). The woman snapped at me for this (sorry but your here to help i thought), and looked through A pile of cards and said its not printed, check for the next collection day. That was it.
    Went to Aungier Street registrations the next day where a helpful bloke informed me my card was was printed 3 days ago and was in kevin street. Basicly the woman didnt bother her backside looking through the 228 pile properly, yer man printed me another one anyways after he tried to phone kevin street and they didnt pick up!
    And I think I know this woman you talk about, tryed buying exam papers from her one time and certainly she had the attitude ;)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I'm pretty sure that you are required to be brain dead to get a job in the administrative offices of DIT. In a week or two I'll never have to return to those offices again. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Dj

On a similar topic, has any noticed how ignorant the staff are that look after the exams. I sat all my exams last year in gleeson hall and the examiners were dog ignorant. They just shout at people, one guy lost the head at me because my exam card was in my wallet and not in my hand. I told him i was 18 and he was not impressed.

I've not known that to be the case, but they do put on a serious front to stop students bollocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Have to say, Kevin St registration staff have always been very helpful to me. Im repeating this year, and they took the time to explain to me clearly what I was paying and why I was paying it. There have been a few little questions so far this year, and they have answered them all quickly and politely.

Its all too easy to jump on the bandwagon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Have to say, Kevin St registration staff have always been very helpful to me. Im repeating this year, and they took the time to explain to me clearly what I was paying and why I was paying it. There have been a few little questions so far this year, and they have answered them all quickly and politely.

Its all too easy to jump on the bandwagon.

I've found them great at times too. Sincerely! But they seem to succumb to the admin system of DIT :(

I never tried to brand them all; nothing of the sort.

However, they are different to other college's registration offices- today when popping in I saw that two "hatch's" staff were messing around on Facebook rather than doing administrative work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mateo

There's one lady there who's lovely and was really helpful to me when I was inquiring about grants. She didn't give the greatest information but she was very nice.

But then there's this other awful woman who works there... talk about service with a smile, NOT. She was basically throwing students cards at people who were collecting them. She couldn't have looked more miserable if she'd tried. The whole student card thing was such an utter mess this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 npc_100

They really do provide a shockingly bad service in Kevin Street Registrations, don't bother asking for student cards or any type of forms, the worst thing you can do is ask them to do their job.

Just remember, these are the same people who will be looking for your support and sympathy in the future when the Croke park agreement gets sunk and the public service pay cuts start happening......

Advertisement