Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When the going gets tough!

• 05-10-2010 5:13pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

If as predicted after the next budget, things are going to get even more tougher, what will be the first item you will seriously think about having to cut back on?
    (Not what you'd like to cut back on but what WILL be the first thing to be effected!)

For me, I think it will have to be the number of home food deliveries and possibly my Sky TV costs (yes, I know its mostly rubbish anyway).

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Coke and hookers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

Savings i'd imagine for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Hookers and blow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

I work in the private sector, and the prices of rent should fall again. So I can't see it having much of a difference on me. An extra few pound tax, wont mean I've to cut back on anything, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I've become accustomed to living on sweet fcuk all to be honest so it shouldn't affect me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

smokes. ive already cut down (only smoked 4 so far today)and if they increase one more time in the budget; which is definitely going to happen, ill be quitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Personally, I'm going to get going.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

I'm going to stop buying food for my kids. When they die I can blame the government and sue them for millions. I can always make more children if necessary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'll probably be getting rid of Sky, and perhaps downgrade my internet connection. There's not much else left to cut down on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Suppose Ill get rid of the sky myself mostly crap on it anyway, cut back on smokes but tbh I already have been cutting back on a lot of stuff as it is so kinda used to it now :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I'm quite well funded sitting at home on the dole, can save e100 a week. Once I move out I'll be instantly and permanently broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

I'll probably be getting rid of Sky, and perhaps downgrade my internet connection. There's not much else left to cut down on!

i already got rid of my upc broadband and downgraded to o2, speed is slower during the day but great at night and im saving €20 a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tv licence....... oh wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭th3 s1aught3r

Biggins wrote: »
    For me, I think it will have to be the number of home food deliveries and possibly my Sky TV costs (yes, I know its mostly rubbish anyway).

Neither of which anyone would consider 'essentials'
    I feel more for people who are facing a winter with the threat of having their ESB cut off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I'm cutting down on income tax and joining the black economy, so's I can fit in with the rest of the community..

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I'm cutting down on income tax and joining the black African economy, so's I can fit in with the rest of the community..

Racist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

At the momment I buy clothes, DVD's, CD's online so I save money there. I also shop up in Enniskillen so food costs are lower.

I am also going to downgrade my Sky subscription. I am forking out €92 a month at the moment and I only watch some of the channels so definately cutting back there.

Going to start bringing my lunch into work instead of forking out €8 - €10 a day on food. I just need to stop being so lazy at night and get the food ready.

I hardly ever eat out in Restaurants or get take aways so I cant save money there.

I used to go out drinking every Sat night but I have cut that back to every other Saturday. I tend to enjoy the nights more now as I look forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

When the going gets tough, the tough go up North for their shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Those annual Christmas shopping trips to NYC, loike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Confab wrote: »
    I'm quite well funded sitting at home on the dole, can save e100 a week. Once I move out I'll be instantly and permanently broke.

Its not easy with rent and bills to pay

My self, reassess my mobile and broadband tarriffs to a sim only deal once current contract is finished.

My biggest problem is not spending that loose change in the pocket, used to always but a paper in the morning, and usally not read half of it, have cut that to a few a week and will continue to cut back further, and of course, when buying the paper, its accompanied by a can of something and sweets.

Takeaways, trying to keep it to just one at the weekend, but if out, its always tempting to get one to save cooking, eat healthier, its cheaper.

Empty the money box

Still try and get a job, only been a couple of months out of work for me, I'd hate to be one of those out for a year or more.

Either way, from the sounds of things we're gonna get it preety tough this bugget, prepared to be bent over a little bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Feeding the kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Smokes - really can't afford them...I've already cut down massively on nights out drinking, fast food etc. but just got sky into the flat which was a poor decision on my part but the flatmate was pushin for it.

Only out of college and earning properly but the bills just keep adding up...and I've to try get a car soon

It's depressing :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭mayflyatr

Sky would be the last thing to go for me, if I am saving money it would be on going out drinking. If im not out drinking im at home watching tv.

Call up your providers and tell them you are leaving, see what savings you can make there! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I had Sky and changed it for a free-to-air satellite. I don't watch much telly but when I had Sky I usually ended up watching something on a channel that was a free-to-air one or even RTE. I found Sky to be a load of sh!te at the best of times - repeating the same old sh!t and trashy american channels.

Its an easy way to make a saving if you ask me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Neither of which anyone would consider 'essentials'
    I feel more for people who are facing a winter with the threat of having their ESB cut off
    Very true, 200,000 so far are in official debt to the ESB this year so far and 1500 on average every month now is being added to that.

There will be other more real basics that will have to be looked at by many.

Its madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

the heating, I hope we dont have a rerun of last year's winter.
    I'll ask for the cheapest coal and buy the cheapest housecoat in pennys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Ironically, my income is higher now than it was in the boom years, but i have still decided to heavily streamline my spending.

Phone bill, at one point was up to 160 per month... its now 20.

credit cards- i had 3, now i have one with a fine balance of €1.23

Internet dongle from 3 mobile, was 30, now 0 because it was epically sh1t and a complete waste of money

TV - i do have sky, its not an essentila but its the only luxary i really have, as i love tv.. i did cut out stetanta, and multi room so down from 95 to 65 a month

Socalising I would have gone out at least once a week and went to the cinema alot, probably 500 permonth total, thats gone down to about 150 month now, however thats more out of a lifestyle change than a decision i made to save money. I tend to go to friends houses or drink at home with friends

Transport
    I used to spend / allow 3k per year on changing my van every second year.. thats not happening now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Feeding the kids.
    Sure you can just make more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

To be honest I've cut right back to the bone and can't really see where I can make more savings without becoming unhealthy.

Because I train a lot I like to eat good wholesome, fresh food. But I've been thinking about investing in a deep freezer and making trips up north to stack up on cheaper, frozen foodstuffs.

I rarely go out anymore (although I did last night and made a pig of myself) simply because I don't have the money & I can't remember the last time I ate out.

I'm really at a loss as to where I can save money, a property tax and/or water charges will cripple my budget totally.

• Advertisement

Because I train a lot I like to eat good wholesome, fresh food. But I've been thinking about investing in a deep freezer and making trips up north to stack up on cheaper, frozen foodstuffs.

Get the biggest freezer you can find space for, if you think its too big its not big enough. The misssus swears by it, she will buy food that is reduced on special offer or near the sell by date and chuck it into the freezer.

Really recommend getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 48 kilkenny_kid

I'll have to give up spraying my jizz, nothing to clean them up with. Money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...a property tax and/or water charges will cripple my budget totally.
    Yea, thats going to hit badly, a lot of folk.
    There will be not one thing that will probably not be looked at in many homes.
    (I can see takeaways, taxi's and entertainment venues being effected more so)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

focus more on finding loads of free things to do and good news is that there is loads of free stuff out there :D

In Dublin - maybe

In Cork - not so much I'm finding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

To be honest I'm fine for money. And probably will be next year. Don't really spend much. I don't smoke. Only drink a little. Don't have kids. Work a lot. Get a bit of a college grant. Could probably cut back on the amount of money I spend on clothes. And maybe live in a place with cheaper rent next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Does anybody have any idea on what the cuts will be in the budget, or what taxes will be increased?

For example, the widow's pension, BTEA,
    Paycuts, tax hikes etc..

I keep hearing rumours of between 30 and 50 euro being cut of every social welfare payment, more paycuts for workers, massive tax increases etc.
    I'm hoping that things won't be as bad as some people are speculating, but realise that there's a chance they are right.

Have we been given any estimate yet by the government as to how hard everyone is going to get hit yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

Biggins wrote: »
    (I can see takeaways, taxi's and entertainment venues being effected more so)

I can't really remember what those things are ^:rolleyes:

Nothing left for me to cut back on... unless I actually stop paying the utility bills or the mortgage...

I already have cut back loads..

I buy the special offers...about to go out of date food and freeze it..
    You can save a fortune on food this way.

Lia_lia wrote: »
    To be honest I'm fine for money. And probably will be next year. Don't really spend much. I don't smoke. Only drink a little. Don't have kids. Work a lot. Get a bit of a college grant. Could probably cut back on the amount of money I spend on clothes. And maybe live in a place with cheaper rent next year.

You just jinxed yourself. :p

How'd you get a grant? :mad: When I was in college I wasn't approved for one and I wasn't working and my parents earned under the bracket (Just about) and there's 6 kids in my family (3 dependents).

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭LifesgoodwithLG

Officially well and truely fed up with all of this Recession Malarkey !

Anywho's my health insurance is in danger of being cancelled however I am more focusing on all the free stuff to do in Dublin namely Culture night, Dun Laoghaire, Street Performers Festival, Culture Festival, Museums, walking in Phoenix and Memorial Parks basically anything that gets me outdoors without breaking the bank.

ps maybe its just me getting older but less going out and more going over to friends for dinner and vino

Bonito wrote: »
    Sure you can just make more!

For what? I'm cutting costs you know.

For what? I'm cutting costs you know.
    To eat?

Deep freeze whatever isn't used my good man.

• Advertisement

To eat?

Deep freeze whatever isn't used my good man.

They wouldn't be good to eat. Very little flesh.

They wouldn't be good to eat. Very little flesh.
    Fatten her up then just before she's ready to pop, BAM.

I keep hearing rumours of between 30 and 50 euro being cut of every social welfare payment, more paycuts for workers, massive tax increases etc.
    I'm hoping that things won't be as bad as some people are speculating, but realise that there's a chance they are right.

Have we been given any estimate yet by the government as to how hard everyone is going to get hit yet?

A simple tip for you.

If you hear a figure been touted you take that figure and half it. Then take that figure and half it again, and that is the figure that will be actually used / announced.

The media, like to stur shyte, and the government will like to look like heros for not making the cuts as painful as expected.

The reality is, socail welfare has to be cut - expect 6 euro. They may grade it 12 euro off single unemployed with no dependants and less severe off people with dependants perhaps 3- 6 euro

You can expect that the monthly ceiling on healthcare expenses to be raised from 100 - 110 or 120 per month

Expect a reductiion or removal on certain allowances from the less vunderble.

Less likely, but possible introductions are residentil property taxes and water charges. If the water charges come in it will not be based on useage its will be a flat rate tax and you can expect it to be about 100 - 130 per year. A tax on your home is been talked about alot in the media and not denied by the government but it is unlikely to be brought in this time, there are few reasons why it wont, the government arent saying that it wont come in because, a. they dont want to burn that bridge, and b. because when they dont introduce it - the budget will appear less severe and look more palatable for the other cuts and increases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Czechoslovakian sex slaves, €100 per half hour!!

I've already had to cut down to just one hour a week, when will this government cop on.

People need their peccadilloes for Christ sake.

Yes, I'm aware of the events of 1993 thanks very much, but these particular ladies are not ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Its going to be a tough one for a lot of people, I was thinking of doing volunteer work etc, anyone else doing it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

my number one rule is i will never go hungry for to pay anyone and i have decided to alter this a bit...

i will not give up anything i enjoy to pay anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

How'd you get a grant? :mad: When I was in college I wasn't approved for one and I wasn't working and my parents earned under the bracket (Just about) and there's 6 kids in my family (3 dependents).

Well you should have got one if they were under the bracket. That makes no sense. Unless one of them works for the government...?

I get one because my Mother is a single parent I suppose!

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Well you should have got one if they were under the bracket. That makes no sense. Unless one of them works for the government...?

I get one because my Mother is a single parent I suppose!
    No, Biggins is not my Dad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

snyper wrote: »
    A simple tip for you.

If you hear a figure been touted you take that figure and half it. Then take that figure and half it again, and that is the figure that will be actually used / announced.

The media, like to stur shyte, and the government will like to look like heros for not making the cuts as painful as expected.

The reality is, socail welfare has to be cut - expect 6 euro. They may grade it 12 euro off single unemployed with no dependants and less severe off people with dependants perhaps 3- 6 euro

You can expect that the monthly ceiling on healthcare expenses to be raised from 100 - 110 or 120 per month

Expect a reductiion or removal on certain allowances from the less vunderble.

Less likely, but possible introductions are residentil property taxes and water charges. If the water charges come in it will not be based on useage its will be a flat rate tax and you can expect it to be about 100 - 130 per year. A tax on your home is been talked about alot in the media and not denied by the government but it is unlikely to be brought in this time, there are few reasons why it wont, the government arent saying that it wont come in because, a. they dont want to burn that bridge, and b. because when they dont introduce it - the budget will appear less severe and look more palatable for the other cuts and increases

Thanks for reply. I was worried last years budget, but I have been getting much more panicky about this one from all the hype. Not just for myself, but also for my mum, my sister & her husband and kids, and my boyfriend. Your post has reassured me a bit and seems to make more sense compared to the massive figures some people keep saying. I know cuts will be made, all I hope and ask for is that they are still manageable for people to live with.

Anyhow on topic, can't think of much more than shopping sensibly for food, cooking things that can last more than a day, and maybe buying a weekly bus ticket instead of paying full price each time, and walking more. Using my free web texts more, or starting a better value deal with my mobile company. Shop around to see if there's better offers to be had for internet etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

I intend on doing the following from now on:

- not buying lotto tickets or scratchcards...must spend 5 euro a week on average between these ie. some weeks I'll spend 10 or 15 and then quit for 2 or 3 weeks! Returns are generally very little. So I'd save about 200 quid a year at least by giving these up.

- never buying a newspaper. Reading news on the internet instead. I'd say I'd save about 70 quid a year if I do this.

- never going to the pub (haven't went in ages anyway) and splitting a cheap crate of drink with a friend or two (eg. the previous 24 stella for 15 euro in tesco)
    - never taking a coat or jacket out to a nightclub (2 euro a go = about 30 plus euro a year)
    - never giving anything to the guy working in the jacks
    - never buying any girls drinks in a nightclub unless they're my friend and its 3 quid a drink (max)
    - watching the ground at the bar for loose money that people dropped on the ground while drunk (have found fivers, tenners and twenties before and when I'm pissed I will most likely keep them!)
    - making sure that I get a bus into town to head out if possible and that I share a taxi home with the maximum number of people.

- saving up dublin bus refunds from when I have no small change. Probably amount to about 25 quid over the course of a year which equates to my share of the esb bill for 2 months.

- Avoiding going to the cinema and downloading or streaming stuff instead. Probably save about 80 quid in a year doing this!

- using webtexts wherever possible to avoid having to spend 20 quid to get "free-texts". I'd guess I could save a good 100 quid from webtexts over the course of a year.

- no fizzy drinks, only tap water and maybe miwadi. Would save probably 6 to 8 quid a week doing this. So about 400 quid a year...wow! :eek:

- keeping takeaways to once a month max instead of about 5 times a month(approximately 120 a year on takeaways instead of about 600, minus of course the cost of making a dinner for those 48 days a year where you would otherwise have eaten a takeaway..still probably saving a net 150 or so)

Also...only getting pizza when splitting 2 for the price of 1 with at least 2 others, so you can use economies of scale to beat the rule that pizza is always more expensive than other take-away foods. Good for the health obviously to cut that crap food out and the money saved can be spent on buying good quality fresh meat.

- Buying lunch in a deli - I'd probably buy a roll from a deli about once a week so I'm going to knock that on the head and make my own lunch on that day as per usual. At an average of one a week, say 40 weeks a year, thats about 40 x 4 = 160 euro.....take away cost of making a lunch of fruit and 2 decent sandwiches (about a 1.50 daily?) = 100 saved.

Also, I don't have sky, but if I did I'd get rid of it and just keep broadband...sure anything you want to watch can be found on the internet somewhere. And the internet really is a more necessary thing, although if you're on the absolute breadline then you should get rid of it.

Just skimming through the list above and I could save well over 1200 a year just making small changes. Ya just have to live within your means as much as possible and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement