Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flash's in the sky galway

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

I was coming home this morning at around 2am clifden direction..and saw a huge flash in the sky..very quick, fully excepted to hear a rumble of thunder, nothing.. this continued to happen every ten to 15 minutes changing position in the sky..which was clear of cloud. Anyone else see this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Reminds of when I was a child sitting outside my house at night when the whole sky lit up in a series of flashes. but no sound or even clouds in the sky.
    Turned out one of the big electricity pylons on top of the cliffs in Waterford city which had a fault and exploded.
    But with your case it sounds alot stranger, every 10 - 15 mins after? Are you sure the sky was clear all over? it could of been lightening in the distance, it doesn't always have to be followed by thunder either.

any more info?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Lighting is the only thing i can think off...although the sky was clear and it did continue for a while after i arrived home..it was low in the sky on the edges

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What color was it? Could it have been the Aurora

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Just chatting to a lad there reckons there was thunder and lighting this evening..so there's a good chance it was lighting i saw last night, damn lot of lighting with out the thunder though...maybe he's a grey dressed up as a guy with a pint:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You'll often get lightning without hearing thunder. I was in Malawi a few years ago and you had storms there at night where there was a lot of flashing, but not a sound. A slightly strange experience. You will see it in Ireland sometimes though. If the storm is far enough away, you'd see the lightning without hearing thunder, especially at night. That may be what you experienced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement