Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food help please

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

I have an 8 month old west highland terrier pup and we took her to the vet last week and he told us she suffers from a sensitive stomach. He recommended we put her on James Wellbeloved Junior Dry Dog Food as it would be better for her than the royal canin. The royal canin kibble was alot smaller n less crunchier for her to chew than the James wellbeloved as the kiddle is alot bigger. Is it ok to add some water to the JWB kibble to make it easier for her to digest???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

I have an 8 month old west highland terrier pup and we took her to the vet last week and he told us she suffers from a sensitive stomach. He recommended we put her on James Wellbeloved Junior Dry Dog Food as it would be better for her than the royal canin. The royal canin kibble was alot smaller n less crunchier for her to chew than the James wellbeloved as the kiddle is alot bigger. Is it ok to add some water to the JWB kibble to make it easier for her to digest???

I used to break up the larger kibble for my Westie when he was young. Just threw it into plastic bag and hammer it with a rolling pin - not into dust mind but to split the big pieces. Another tip if they are fussy is to heat the kibble in the microwave for 5-10 seconds, makes it smell more appetising I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jimoige

You should try Orijen dog food. I give it to my two and its great. No grain which can often be the cause of food intolerance in dogs. You can get it online from zooplus.ie or mollys.ie (mollys pet boutique in Dun Laoghaire).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Used to mix a tin of Sardines (Wit Sunflower Oil) into the Canin Kibble once or twice a week.

Great for the coat and full of Omega 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Initially wetting the kibble to get your dog more interested in it, and therefore eating it, is a good idea. Reducing the amount of time you soak it for will gradually increase the crunch so that the dogs gets used to eating the larger, harder kibble over time. Eventually, you can not soak it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Have you tried Burns? Lots of different flavours, so the dog doesn't get bored with it. It's very good for doggies with sensitive tums...

Used to have my fella on the Royal Canin too as a pup, which was fine, until I changed him over to the adult food. This didn't agree with him despite trying a couple of varieties, so at the vet's suggestion we changed to Burns and haven't looked back. He also gets a couple of white fish steaks with brown rice once a week as well which helps.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Have you tried select gold? Used to have a foster pup last year and she had a dodgy stomach as well. The select gold sensitive worked wonders on her; they've got it in mini kibbles for smaller breeds as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pageturner

Westie Owner. We have ours on a raw diet from Natures Menu.One of our collies have a dodgy stomach as well but is brill since we put her on the raw diet.Buying in Cork from Sully's in Ballincollig and City Centre.Is easy to feed and decent price as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

My Golden Cocker also suffers from a very sensitive tummy and has been sick for the past fortnight with a suspected gastro infection. For the past year or so we have been feeding him Burns Mini Bites (€10 in our local vets), which he loves, and the past couple of weeks he has been eating Hill's I/D Gastro Health (€2.39 per tin), which is really easy to digest. So after a couple of visits to the vet and a restricted diet he is almost back to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

OP I would go with your vets advice on the food but gradually mix the old food with the new food you can add water to it if you wish, boiled water left to cool for a few minutes will soak in a bit quicker. Some posters have recommended other brands of food but I'd see how you get on with the James Wellbeloved first. Some one recommended Orijen, this is much too high in protein for a Westie with a sensitive stomach, they can often have as many problems from a diet too high in protein as one with certain ingredients. I can't feed my Westie anything with chicken in at all or she'll be bouncing off the walls. I'd recommend joining a Westie forum where people are knowlegable about the breed's feeding requirements and digestive problems. Unfortunatly a lot of them are subscription private members forums but most have a free trial period, just do a google search for 'Westie Forums' ;)

Advertisement