Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fostering dogs

Options
  • 05-10-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hi folks,

i recently started fostering dogs for 2 or 3 weeks at a time for a dogs charity. what i want to find out is where do i stand if the dog warden calls to the house.. i spoke to one recently and he told me it would be my responibility to provide a license for the dog..as i have a dog of my own, i have a license for him but i wasnt aware that i am meant to have one for a fostered dog..i think that is very unfair as i am providing much needed accomodation for dogs in need..can anyone shed any light on this for me..i would be very grateful....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

As far as I am aware, the charity that you are fostering for (I'm assuming it's for a charity) should be the one providing the licence for the dog - because you are not the legal owner of the dog it should not be your responsibility. I fostered for 3 year and didn't need to provide a licence for any of my foster dogs.

If you are very concerned about this, contact whoever it is you are fostering the dog for and they should let you know, I would be very surprised if you need to provide the licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

It can be a moot point. You wouldn't think that a boarding kennel should have a licence for a dog staying there, but the IBKCA recommend that you do. Whilst the dog is living with you, or under your care, you are responsible for it, so you should have a licence. But, does that mean that if you mind your neighbour's dog for a weekend, that you should buy a licence for it?

Ask the rescue that you're fostering for if they have a general licence, to cover all of the dogs that are in their care, either in a shelter, or in foster homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

From the Controls of Dogs Act 1986:
    Finding of stray dogs:
    etc
    etc(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 2 of this Act, a person who is not the holder of a general dog licence and who detains a stray dog pursuant to this section shall not be required to obtain a dog licence relating to that dog until he has kept the dog in his possession for a period of not less than twenty-eight days, and the said section 2 shall be construed and have effect accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

micheleabc wrote: »
    From the Controls of Dogs Act 1986:
    Finding of stray dogs:
    etc
    etc(5) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 2 of this Act, a person who is not the holder of a general dog licence and who detains a stray dog pursuant to this section shall not be required to obtain a dog licence relating to that dog until he has kept the dog in his possession for a period of not less than twenty-eight days, and the said section 2 shall be construed and have effect accordingly.

But I don't know what the legal definition of a dog that has done its 5 days in a pound and then taken out by a rescue and gone into foster care is, it would no longer be a stray.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭micheleabc

ISDW wrote: »
    But I don't know what the legal definition of a dog that has done its 5 days in a pound and then taken out by a rescue and gone into foster care is, it would no longer be a stray.

If the dog did his 5 days in a official county pound, the rescue organization should have a receipt as the (now) only owner of the dog. In that case the rescue organization should have a license for that dog.

Prohibition on keeping dog without a licence. 2.—(1) Subject to section 5 of this Act, it shall be unlawful for any person to
    [GA]( a ) keep a dog unless he holds either—
    [GA](i) a dog licence for that dog, or
    [GA](ii) a general dog licence, or
    [GA]( b ) take possession, unless he is the holder of a general dog licence, of a dog, pursuant to a change of ownership, before the issue of a dog licence in respect of that dog, or
    [GA]( c ) transfer possession of a dog pursuant to a change of ownership to any other person unless the other person is the holder of a dog licence for that dog or a general dog licence.
    [GA](2) The occupier of any premises where a dog is found shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to be the person who keeps the dog unless he proves that—
    [GA]( a ) he is not the owner of the dog, and
    [GA]( b ) the dog was kept on the premises either—
    [GA](i) without his knowledge, or
    [GA](ii) by some other person who had a licence for the dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement