Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Facebook photos

• 05-10-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Has anyone seen these new photos that a lot of people have put up on facebook now - they are almost airbrushed, they kind of glow an orangey colour, there is a lot of light in them and the eyes are very detailed. If you have blue eyes say, they will be very blue, or brown eyes will be very brown etc etc. Its hard to explain and I cant give an example because I would have to put someone elses photo up here! Please let me know. I heard before that its an i phone app but I am not sure. If it is an i phone app are the photos taken like this or edited after they are taken???

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

xpro? hipster friends per chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

It sounds like you're describing photographs with the saturation dialled up. There are several iPhone apps that do this in various ways and means, but to really understand what you're talking about you'd have to post an example or a link to an example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I think you might mean Luna Pics Photo Editor. They have an app for Facebook me thinks.

Edit: After re-reading you post I believe I'm wrong.... :) Imagine that... lol

129959.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

So the sketch-my-photo craze is done, and orange skin is the new 'in' on FB?

All brutal, different ways to ruin images, only on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

• Advertisement

I've nothing against anyone using their phone to take pictures. But all these aps and add ons and poor effects just ruin photos.

Some of the newer 'smart' phones take decent enough pictures. my missus just got a galaxy S on upgrade, and I've tried it in dim lighting indoors and had no trouble getting nice sharp images thanks to the IS. Most kit lenses will struggle to do similar without you ramping the ISO through the roof or using flash. I'm not even sure if her phone has flash?

Anyway: Images from phones can be nice, but once they're painted over with these awful effects ... meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

So the sketch-my-photo craze is done, and orange skin is the new 'in' on FB? .

Oompa Loompa Pro for iPhone :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

If you want to take photographs, buy a camera.

If you want to make a phone call, buy a phone.

Thats my philosophy.

The last time I bought a phone the shop assistants pitch was all about how many mega pixels that this model had over the other one. I had to explain to him that I had a DSLR for taking pictures, I just needed a phone. But it was like I was speaking double Dutch. He kept on, like a broken record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Most people don't have a DSLR and can't or won't pay for one. And probably shouldn't either - I keep meeting people who thought a DSLR was the best way to go for taking pictures, only to complain they couldn't use the LCD screen to take pics (Canon 1000D as an example).

A lot of people just want something small and handy for snaps that they can shove in their pocket and why have something separate from their phone when most phones these days have decent sensors in them? It's very difficult to just buy a phone these days and I don't really use mine as a phone most of the time anyway.

The PP craze that's currently taken over the newb phone-photographer is no different than when people started discovering photoshop and there were crazy saturations and colorisations and selective colourings all over the place.

Let them get it out of their systems and they'll soon catch up with the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I heard that FB are now accepting full size images, perhaps you're looking at a full size image scaled down and processed with whatever software FB are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

I understand the craze and the convenience of cameras in phones.

But a phone should be sold on being a phone - not a replacement camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭irish147

VERY GOOD!!:D
    K_user wrote: »

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Why's that? "Phone" is just a name for the things - they do a lot more than let you talk to people from a distance. The vast majority of people who have them wouldn't own a camera in the first place so it wouldn't be a replacement at all. Now you have many more people taking photographs and developing an interest in photography than you would without "phones".

I don't even know how you would sell one as just a phone these days - "Buy the new iPhone - it lets you talk to people!" It's like trying to sell water on the basis of it being wet. It's just a given now.

They're calling them "Smart" phones these days don't ya know? :D Just a way for them to make a big deal about the add-ons. I'd rather have one of them than have to carry a phone plus compact when out and about without the dslr. The picture quality is as good on the better ones.

When I actually leave the house with the intent on taking pictures though, I'll bring a proper camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭Geansai Rua

My little sister puts a lot of them kind of pics on FB of her and her friends.
    She has a lg phone and it has some thing on it that makes the photos weird.
    She also uses piknik too!
    Personally I think they are rubbish!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Promac wrote: »
    "Buy the new iPhone - it lets you talk to people!"
    That would be for me :D
    And I'm not the only one !
    It would be good to have the option, though, to buy a phone that does just that, and nothing else. These screens that tumble down sideways and other gimmicks drive me crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

They're calling them "Smart" phones these days don't ya know? :D Just a way for them to make a big deal about the add-ons. I'd rather have one of them than have to carry a phone plus compact when out and about without the dslr. The picture quality is as good on the better ones.

When I actually leave the house with the intent on taking pictures though, I'll bring a proper camera.

I agree that it's great not having to carry a compact as well as a phone. It's also quicker to use the images from a phone than a compact by uploading them immediately to a site if thats your thing. And having a decent camera on a phone means if there is something you see which you'd like to take a picture of there and then during daily life, most people will nearly always have their phone on them whereas you're not always as likely to have a compact on you unless you spend your life preempting photographic opportunities.

I have a phone to phone people but having a decent camera on it can help me make the most of any opportunities that come along!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

it really annoys me,
    first toy cameras like holga, dianas etc become a fashion accessory
    then iphone apps start replicating photoshop type lomo effects
    NOW theres the 'digital' holga

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

If they are an iPhone app and used the iPhone to upload it usually it will say
    Uploaded via:
    Facebook for iPhone"
    or
    Uploaded via:
    <app name>

or you can just ask the person who uploaded them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

I'm convinced I read the very same thread a few months ago.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

bizarre!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Very strange indeed. It seems that both users are the same person and the posts are also identical.

•Posts merged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I love my life as a dickhead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Jim wrote: »
    I love my life as a dickhead?

Having new age fun with a vintage feel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If you want to take photographs, buy a camera.

If you want to make a phone call, buy a phone.

that's all grand for you that has enough of an interest in photography to take a camera with you everywhere you go..

what happens if you go out shopping some day and meet bob dylan walking down grafton street... it'd be nice to have a phone to take that snapshot especially for the average person who has no interest in photography..
    such as about 90% of the people in the country basically :rolleyes:

we all love photography here and we have big ass cameras basically to take great shots - but 90% of the people in the country just want a snapshot to remember an event or just to show off on their facebooks... and these people only see a dslr at a wedding or at a football match (and don't know what makes a dslr better bar the fact that they cost about 10000 times the price of a normal camera)

it'd be a complete waste of money for a lot of people to go out and buy even a point an shoot camera these days when you see the quality of some of the cameras in phones these days.. your theory might have been right when phones max resolution was about 2.2mp but these days many phones take images that rival an average point on shoot and are more than good enough for the average user - without having to go out and buy a second gadget to carry around with them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Has anyone seen these new photos that a lot of people have put up on facebook now

Whats facebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Whats facebook?

And what's this gloogloo that everyones talking about? Or is it gloglo? glogle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I think it's like a photobook, but only containing portraits. I'm sure I saw one in this dusty, forgotten place I once found in town. I'm not sure what it was but had the inscription "Library" over the door.

• Advertisement

Is it a place that suckers you in and then you realise you've been tangoed?

Advertisement