Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Cemetery Records: Search and Find Graves

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Aw Ponster,now you have brought me back !
    I'll have to read the whole thread but the memories are flooding back after reading just 2 pages
    Nicky's chipper in Mitchell street with the pub out the back !

Memories !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hellbent

Ponster, thanks a million for the link, I got huge amounts of info, and have it up on site now.
    There were a few shops that I couldn't figure out. Could you or anyone else help?

Where exactly was The Horseman pub?, Gerrards?, and the Market Tavern?

O'Connors Chicken shop, on Gladstone - was it at Carl Scarpas or Options shops?

Was Brian Purcell Jewellers where Glamorous boutique(No. 82) or KnickKnack shop (No. 83) is?

I have Liptons placed at No. 71, where Phelans shoes is? Someone else states it was at No. 70, the old Ulster Bank. Can anyone say which is correct?

There was a pub at approx. 58 O'Connell St,(Cuileoga premises) owned by Mr. Power, it was short-lived. What was its name?

Finally, where was DECK1, music shop?

Thanks in advance for any and all info that can be provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Wasn.the Horseman pub in Anglasea street just across from the side Denis Lacy hall,It's a bookies now I think.

Yes Tippspur, thanks, I remember it now. 'Twas Mulroy's pub in the 1950's, and maybe it also was a Mulroy who operated it as The Horseman.

• Advertisement

Well, obviously I expected it would have been on Market Street, but I had thought that that particular premises went straight from being Leo Wallace's Garage to being part of Mulcahy's, and I couldn't think of another premises that might fit the bill. (I was living in Waterford during those years!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

hellbent wrote: »
    Well, obviously I expected it would have been on Market Street, but I had thought that that particular premises went straight from being Leo Wallace's Garage to being part of Mulcahy's, and I couldn't think of another premises that might fit the bill. (I was living in Waterford during those years!).

I drank in there about 1991 though I can't be exactly sure where it was except that when you stepped out of the bar you faced Emmet street. Was the lane down to Mulcahys always there?

Ponster wrote: »
    I drank in there about 1991 though I can't be exactly sure where it was except that when you stepped out of the bar you faced Emmet street. Was the lane down to Mulcahys always there?

Yes, the lane is Elbow Lane, L-shaped, and also exits onto Gladstone St. It's been there more than two hundred years, I think. Are we talking about the same lane?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Yes, the lane is Elbow Lane, L-shaped, and also exits onto Gladstone St. It's been there more than two hundred years, I think. Are we talking about the same lane?

Yep. That means that Market Tavern used to be where Lloyds Express is now.

Who says otherwise ? :)

Ponster wrote: »

Who says otherwise ? :)

Not I. Definitely not I.

• Advertisement

Hellbent,

O'Connors poultry shop was probably Options.From my memory of the size of the shopfront Carl Scarpa is just too wide but the door in to O Connors was in the middle of the shop and up 2 steps

Gerrards was where the "Office" pub used to be and it was called the Tara Arms.

Brian Purcell's jewellery shop was where Glamorous boutique is now.

The pub on the Cuilleoga site used to be Mr Powers vegetable/grocery shop,don't ever remember it as a pub though

In relation to Liptons I am guessing that was where the Ulster Bank is/was because Phelans shoeshop was run by the Phelan family for the last 40 years at least and I don't think that the Bank was there that long( I knew the first bank manager there Paddy McQuillan and he moved down from the North in about 1974/5)

Deck 1 -you have me beat,any clues to where it was ?

Just in relation to the Market Tavern,the owner Joe Walsh sold it and has now joined the priesthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Yes Tippspur, thanks, I remember it now. 'Twas Mulroy's pub in the 1950's, and maybe it also was a Mulroy who operated it as The Horseman.
    Yep,it was Peter Mulroy that ran the Horseman.

Thanks again lads.

Deck1 was somewhere on O'Connell St., another thread on boards.ie said. Other than that I don't know.

I've settled on Liptons being on the old Ulster Bank site, thanks.
    Brian Purcell was at his premises for a long number of years, and I have placed Brennans, Greengrocers before him in the same premises around the same time. Could it be he was actually located at the MK Sports premises, one shop to the left?
    I asked someone about Market Tavern, and it seems before that it was Shanahans pub, known to some/many? as "Mammy Blues".

Re The Tara Arms, was there a Squash Club there around the same time? I seem to recall there might've been.

Overall, I'm amazed at the number of premises that have changed hands over the last 20-30 years. I've now put up what I have for Mitchel Street, and there's much to be added there too!

Thanks again for your inputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Thanks again lads.

Deck1 was somewhere on O'Connell St., another thread on boards.ie said. Other than that I don't know.

I've settled on Liptons being on the old Ulster Bank site, thanks.
    Brian Purcell was at his premises for a long number of years, and I have placed Brennans, Greengrocers before him in the same premises around the same time. Could it be he was actually located at the MK Sports premises, one shop to the left?
    I asked someone about Market Tavern, and it seems before that it was Shanahans pub, known to some/many? as "Mammy Blues".

Re The Tara Arms, was there a Squash Club there around the same time? I seem to recall there might've been.

Overall, I'm amazed at the number of premises that have changed hands over the last 20-30 years. I've now put up what I have for Mitchel Street, and there's much to be added there too!

Thanks again for your inputs.
    I think Deck 1 was where wurlitzer are now...I have a feeling the shop was a wool shop [knitting etc]after deck 1 went.A bit of useless information on why Deck 1 was called that...The guy that ran it name started with a K,and the shop opened on December first.....

DT100 wrote: »
    I think Deck 1 was where wurlitzer are now...I have a feeling the shop was a wool shop [knitting etc]after deck 1 went.A bit of useless information on why Deck 1 was called that...The guy that ran it name started with a K,and the shop opened on December first.....

Hellbent,there was also a record shop and music store at No 31 Mitchel Street( beside what is now Clonmel travel,I think) owned by Dave Primm and he also taught guitar in a little room out the back.

In relation to Deck1 you are right I think,there used definitely be a music shop and subsequently a wool shop there.

In relation to Bob Fitzgeralds on O Connell St,before him this was Pierces(general hardware,the same as Bob Fitzgerald)

Vizzy, thanks for confirming Deck1 and info re 31 Mitchel St. I was away the last 3 weeks and so only got to see this post today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

you now have to PAY to use, some JOKE !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭MapForJ

pudzey101 wrote: »
    you now have to PAY to use, some JOKE !!
    pay to use the cemetary site?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

MapForJ wrote: »
    pay to use the cemetary site?

ya a fee of 10euro?!! thats some state, it was all free up untill wednesday:)

people should get the pics removed he is trying to cash in on loved ones deaths. also the cemetary is not to my knowledge a public place, it is the ownership of council and he said he did not have permission except from a caretaker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭hblock21

10euro is quite reasonable actually for all the work he has put into it. You obviously use the website, so why not contribute. If 10euro is to much for you, go walk the cemetery yourself to complete your research.

You do realise that the 10euro is to go torwards completing the records i.e. I believe (from reading the website, so could be mistaken) that he is putting up all records of ALL people interred, even those that are not inscribed on headstones...which is BLOODY FANTASTIC

people should get the pics removed he is trying to cash in on loved ones deaths

Read the website. If you want your family headstone picture removed request it to be removed....................but..........you do realise I or the next person can see your family headstone in person in the cemetery itseft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A useful technique for reading illegible engravings on aged headstones is to smear the stone with shaving foam and then wipe it off with a window wiper. The foam sits brightly in the grooves and you can read the detail.

I did this last year in an old abandoned graveyard in the townland of Boytonrath and found my ancestors' grave. The oldest occupant was born in 1725 and died in 1792.

I think the OP is doing great work - it would be great if you would consider visiting all the old, abandoned graveyards, such as the one at Boytonrath. The graveyard across from Knockgraffon Motte has headstones from the 1600s, possibly earlier.

hblock21 wrote: »
    Read the website. If you want your family headstone picture removed request it to be removed....................but..........you do realise I or the next person can see your family headstone in person in the cemetery itseft
    and how much does it cost you?

If he lived in Donegal, or the US, or Australia, it could cost quite a bit.

Tremelo wrote: »
    If he lived in Donegal, or the US, or Australia, it could cost quite a bit.
    IF.....

IF.....

What is your point? He provides a service; if you don't want to avail of it, then don't. There are thousands of people abroad who might like to read the inscriptions on their ancestors' graves.

I'm only be a 30 minute drive from Clonmel but if you add petrol and time x number of trips it costs a hell of alot more than 10euro.

The thing about this website is, is it's just the same as every other genealogical research website. Someone gleaned information from papers / birth, marriage certs / headstones and spent vast amounts of time presenting them so that other people can access the information. I can access (purchase) your grandparents birth certificates (and maybe even their wills), with abit of background info. So your local civil registration office is making money / covering costs from your private family information, just like every other research website.

I'll leave it at this.

hblock21 wrote: »
    I'm only be a 30 minute drive from Clonmel but if you add petrol and time x number of trips it costs a hell of alot more than 10euro.

The thing about this website is, is it's just the same as every other genealogical research website. Someone gleaned information from papers / birth, marriage certs / headstones and spent vast amounts of time presenting them so that other people can access the information. I can access (purchase) your grandparents birth certificates (and maybe even their wills), with abit of background info. So your local civil registration office is making money / covering costs from your private family information, just like every other research website.

I'll leave it at this.
    it does not matter to me as i do not have any family/relation there. i just think it was a bit much to charge when it was stated earlier in this thread it will be free. If people want to pay that is up to them. i would not pay to access where my relations are. if people want to pay it is up to them it think getting permission from a caretaker was a bit lol

I'll leave it at that too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Perter

It is great if I in Australia can search records for my ancestors back in early 1800's.. How do I search for headstones?

Advertisement