Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best retro racing games

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Nigel Mansell's on the SNES was great at the time. Godawful now though.

Not great...but I still can't 'finish' it by winning the championship even now..

As mentioned Formula 1 95 for the 'unusual' tracks and drivers like Adelaide and Aida ditched in later seasons. My favourite would have to Formula 1 '97 - god I've played that game to death several times over and only 'finished' the game once with Heinz-Harald Frentzen (the least reliable car since Henry Ford invented cars)

Also Top Gear 2 :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Rock N Roll racing on the Super Nintendo! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Road Rash 2 had one of the best game soundtracks ever in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Need For Speed II SE - Certainly one of the more wackier NFS titles with it's crazy levels. Loved the multiplayer on it as you'd be screaming down the road when next thing the 2nd player nudges the back of you and sends you on a 1000 roll crash. It was so easy to cause mayhem on it :D.

Chase H.Q - I loved this game in the arcades, the novelty of the gear stick and the magic red button for the boost. Any time I slap on Mame I have to give it a spin. Plus that theme music is embedded in my head :pac:

Usuals are Virtua Racing, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Neo Drift Out, Super Off-Road, F-Zero, Super Mario Kart & MK64, Outrun & Outrunners and pretty much most that others have mentioned

I always remember WEC Le Mans from the arcades in Bundoran. It was a stand-up cabinet but, good grief, it had probably the strongest force-feedback steering wheel I have ever come across. When you crashed (which was all the time :D) the wheel went ballistic and it was like wrestling with a bull's head. Still, was always the best 20p I ever spent just to see the wheel go mad :pac:

Carmageddon - The 1st original one, of course. Not a great racer but I always laughed when I artisticly splattered the granny "I was in the waaaar!".....*Splat!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Need For Speed II SE - Certainly one of the more wackier NFS titles with it's crazy levels. Loved the multiplayer on it as you'd be screaming down the road when next thing the 2nd player nudges the back of you and sends you on a 1000 roll crash. It was so easy to cause mayhem on it :D.

That game was the F198 of the NFS series, the worst of all, worse than NFS:Underground and that was all kinds of sh1te.
    After the glory of NFS on the 3DO, picking up the mantel from Test Drive on the Amiga, PC and 16bit consoles, the not quite as great PS and Saturn versions of NFS we were treated to the universal awfulness that was NFS2.
    At least they didn't continue with that when they made the quite brilliant NFS3, and the even better NFS:Road Challenge.

Road Rash on the 3DO and PS was excellent as well, love the soundtrack, my heart once belonged to RR2 on the MD, a game I put many hours into, but the 3DO version blew me away, and I had a Dolby Prologic setup at the time so the audio was perfect as well.

Road Rash is certainly a series I would adore to see updated, as we have seen with Test Drive Unlimited, perhaps Road Rash Unlimited?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

gotta be colin McRae for me, i remember buying an Official PSX magazine with a demo disc that had both Gran Turismo and Colin Mcrae on it. I rented a PS1 saying "one of these will be my 1st PS1 game". Colin Mcrae won and its still my favourite Rally game, it just got the physics bang on.

the day i read that colin mcrae 2 was cancelled for the dreamcast was upsetting. i evenually got back to the PS1 and got the game but the moment was gone!

Micro Machines 2 for the Megadrive is prob a close 2nd, such a fun game, nearly anyone can play it. why on earth hasnt it made it onto Xbox Live yet? that needs to happen.

Advertisement