Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Today FM & Newstalk Android Apps now available.

• 05-10-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi - Official Today FM and Newstalk apps both available now to download in Marketplace. Just tried them out and the both work perfectly.

Been waiting for these for ages - the listenback option on both is brilliant.

Well done guys - one of the first to recognise the growing popularity of Android.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Done pretty nice I gotta say

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Me likey the Today FM app. Very nice indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭BeardyFunzo

Got it and tried it out quickly. very impressive. hope phantom follow suit!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Hey I'm seriously impressed by the App.

I managed to get some other app that plays Today FM a few weeks back but it only really works on Wifi.

Streaming it in the office all day on 3g and its perfect.
    Linking to their podcasts... fantastic
    My work schedule is off kilter for a while with the morning shows but I love listening to them... no problem, just hit the playback button.
    It's been power friendly so far.
    And I actually love the little console on my home screen when the phone is locked, i can just pause and play easily when people drop by my desk even though I'm not docked.

Savage App, I love it, I'd have been happy just with streaming radio.

In fairness now, this is top quality and 100% free. Well done Today FM!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Been using this app this morning - it's great.
    Not seeing the console on my home screen though? (Galaxy S)

Another well done to Today FM!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Newstalk FM

Hi all - glad you're liking the apps so far!

If you've any feedback we'd love to hear it.

Cheers,
    Emily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Best radio app I've downloaded yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

I'm having a bit of trouble with the Today FM app. I can listen live no problem, but can't listen to the Podcasts or ListenBack services. I click on the show I want to hear, click 'play audio' my browser pops up for a second, then disappears and then nothing.

This happens on Wifi and 3G.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Downloaded the Newstalk app.
    Working well on Samsung Galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

This kind of thing ill be great for listening to the premiership in work on the weekends.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭efwren

Hi I just downloaded the newstalk app to my Samsung Galaxy Spica, and it crashes as soon as I start it. Anybody else have this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭efwren

ignore that..

just uninstalled it and re-installed it and its working fine now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Newstalk FM

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks - great to hear its going down well :) Watch this space for our ipad app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Watch this space for our ipad app!

Boo! Hiss! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Thanks for all the positive feedback folks - great to hear its going down well :) Watch this space for our ipad app!
    Know your audience :D

Great to see the radio stations acknowledging the growing number of anroid phone users in the country. Hopefully it'll start a trend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Cheers,
    Emily

Polished apps, one thing i'd like to see is the ability to turn on in the morning for an alarm. Would be nice in future versions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

seklly wrote: »
    Polished apps, one thing i'd like to see is the ability to turn on in the morning for an alarm. Would be nice in future versions...

Great idea seklly.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I went to install it earlier and the access list came up with
    Your location
    fine (GPS) location

Why does it need access to my phones location?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Cheers,
    Emily

Great App, but here is a bit of feedback:

Downloaded to my Desire and all seemed to be working fine. When I was finished I clicked the menu key and then exit. However when I went to go back in it said the app had closed unexpectedly and I had to force close. I had to uninstall and re-install to get it working again. This happened a couple of times.

Why does it need to use GPS?

Could you add ability to download podcasts? This would allow me to download on WiFi at home and listen to later.

Also, just a personal preference, but I would rather it didn't start streaming straight away on openings.

Apart from that I think its a great program!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭seklly

Great App, but here is a bit of feedback:

Could you add ability to download podcasts? This would allow me to download on WiFi at home and listen to later.

Think it might be a copyright issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jwcurtin

seklly wrote: »
    Think it might be a copyright issue

Podcasts are free to download on iTunes, or on their feed. There's no problem at all with downloading podcasts, because all but a few seconds of music is cut out, and its only the DJs talking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Yeah GPS location is an unusual one for this sort of app, interested to hear why.

Have uninstalled it for now but it looks really great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What bitrate is this app? (newstalk)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

GPS seems to be constantly on, can only imagine the app will run down the battery in no time.

The newstalk app is brilliant but as other posters mentioned the GPS seems to activate? I don't want to have to disable GPS every time I used the app, please make this an opt out!

Galaxy S

Had the TodayFM app go into a 'Force Close' loop today.

Tried using the Exit button but the app didn't stay open long enough.
    Also tried killing via Task Manager but it didn't stayed closed.

I left it for a couple of minutes but it kept opening and crashing. I couldn't get it to stop so eventually I restarted the phone.

Intially I had the app open via 3G and when I arrived in the office switched it to Wifi - que crashing loop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭tipperary

Hi

I have tried both of these on a HTC Desire (rooted and with Modaco kitchen installed). The newstalk app works fine, but can't get the Today FM version to work at all. Any ideas what could be wrong?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

On another note RTE are going to release an android version of their app soon. All good news for us Android users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

Galaxy S

Had the TodayFM app go into a 'Force Close' loop today.

Tried using the Exit button but the app didn't stay open long enough.
    Also tried killing via Task Manager but it didn't stayed closed.

I left it for a couple of minutes but it kept opening and crashing. I couldn't get it to stop so eventually I restarted the phone.

Intially I had the app open via 3G and when I arrived in the office switched it to Wifi - que crashing loop.

Mine is in a constant force close / initialising loop so uninstalled it. Im on a Stock Desire 2.2 Froyo. Dunno whats up with it have uninstalled it 3 times and re-installed and same problem

• Advertisement

Yeah it's odd because it was working fine yesterday. Tried to open it this morning and got the error. Haven't installed anything new.
    davehey79 wrote: »
    Mine is in a constant force close / initialising loop so uninstalled it. Im on a Stock Desire 2.2 Froyo. Dunno whats up with it have uninstalled it 3 times and re-installed and same problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

Just after installing the Today FM one and it force closes every time. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling but no good. Suppose it's just teething problems and hopefully will get sorted soon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Same here. Today FM app not working at all on N1 2.2.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Same here. Today FM app not working at all on N1 2.2.1.

Me too, HTC Hero...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Seems to be a problem with the high quality feed, if you quickly change the feed to low quality before it crashes it seems to work fine (for me anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭Tree Scape

Mine freezing so i have to turn off phone to close it
    SE Mini Pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭davehey79

BigCon wrote: »
    Seems to be a problem with the high quality feed, if you quickly change the feed to low quality before it crashes it seems to work fine (for me anyway).

just tried that and can confirm this works. cheers BigCon

That seems to have worked for me too. Thanks BigCon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

s_carnage wrote: »
    Today FM one and it force closes every time.

ya +1 from me
    Newstalk app was working for me all along and now its stopped and is acting like the Today FM app - force close unless you go to low quality
    Whats the deal - I saw a Newstalk post here before - are you watching now? can you sort it out?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Thanks for the above.
    Was just about to post asking where do you switch it to low quality since the app never worked for me and the screen only lasts a second or two before force closing. For anyone else blind like me you need to select the menu soft button to access the option. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭Daith

+1 for me too. Good app otherwise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 razor69

Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the android world, so just finding my feet with this os. Quick question how do I Download and save the podcasts from today fm. Could set up rss feeds on my n95 8gb no probs, but on this (HTC Desire) when I go to the today fm podcast xml site I don't get links to download just text on the whole page. Downloaded the actual today fm app and can only stream the podcasts from there. Any help would be much appreciated :(:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

+1 works for me. cheers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

razor69 wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm a newbie to the android world, so just finding my feet with this os. Quick question how do I Download and save the podcasts from today fm. Could set up rss feeds on my n95 8gb no probs, but on this (HTC Desire) when I go to the today fm podcast xml site I don't get links to download just text on the whole page. Downloaded the actual today fm app and can only stream the podcasts from there. Any help would be much appreciated :(:confused:

There is something regarding some new copyright law that you cannot download the today fm podcast anymore because of them containing copyrighted material. Think it's even been removed from itunes. You can still listen to them but just not download them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

2 good apps.If you were to listen live would these take up much of of your monthly data allowance...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

It's a pity there hasn't been an answer as to why these apps need to use GPS, especially as it has been asked a few times. I can't think of a legitimate reason for it so I have to assume that they want to track us for marketing purposes. That's a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

The Newstalk app is good but there are a few issues....

1. As above, why the always on GPS? - maybe the answer is related to ....

2. the fact that the app is 448KB but as soon as it's launched it nearly doubles in size because of Data it gathers and Cache it stores! Is this necessary for an app like this? All this makes it essential that we can move it's storage location, it..
    3. requires SD storage capability.

I've a Desire running 2.2

Re: Today FM App - I can't find this on the Market today!

Re: Phantom FM - Someone mentioned that they were looking for a Phantom FM app, we know it's not out yet (if at all) but if it's just to listen to Phantom you can do it on the Internet Radio section of the TuneWiki music app. It's free and excellent for Phantom if you don't live in or near Dublin. You can also get Newstalk, Todayfm etc on it.

Also, if anybody knows an app that you can listen to BBC radio 5 live or Talksport on I'd appreciate a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

yekrallum wrote: »

2. the fact that the app is 448KB but as soon as it's launched it nearly doubles in size because of Data it gathers and Cache it stores! Is this necessary for an app like this? All this makes it essential that we can move it's storage location, it..

Re: Phantom FM - Someone mentioned that they were looking for a Phantom FM app, we know it's not out yet (if at all) but if it's just to listen to Phantom you can do it on the Internet Radio section of the TuneWiki music app. It's free and excellent for Phantom if you don't live in or near Dublin. You can also get Newstalk, Todayfm etc on it.

Also, if anybody knows an app that you can listen to BBC radio 5 live or Talksport on I'd appreciate a reply.

Cant find it either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

yekrallum wrote: »

TuneIn Radio will get you almost any station. Serious app

• Registered Users Posts: 35 yekrallum

fjsanchez wrote: »
    TuneIn Radio will get you almost any station. Serious app

Just installed TuneIn and deleted TuneWiki, all of the above stations and a lot more ... thanks fella!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

use the app scanner from this website http://www.appstorehq.com/todayfm-android-512330/app i have it downloaded now

• Advertisement
Advertisement