Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ship Bike from California to Ireland?

• 05-10-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am sure this topic has probably been discussed before but I could not find any with the search option.

I am in California for two months and need a bike. I want to buy one as I don't have any at home.

I'm wondering what would be the best way to ship it / bring it with me home?

The problem with bringing it with me on the flight home is that I have two stops in Chicago and New York where ill be sight seeing. I dont really want to have to haul the bike from the airport to the hotel in back twice, once in Chicago and again in New York. But if this the only option I will have to do it. I would probably need a bike bag / box if I did this and would like any recommendations.

THe other option would be to ship it. How much would this cost? Would I have to pay customs etc.?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

If you're purchasing it in the US and bring it into Ireland Customs Duties and VAT will be due on the importation, whether via courier, or if you bring it back on a plane (you would be required to declare it through the red channel at the airport)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Thought u only had to pay customs on news stuff if the bike was used for 2 months didn't think u would have to pay duty. I'd say shipping would be cheaper.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭AIR-AUSSIE

mike12 wrote: »
    Thought u only had to pay customs on news stuff if the bike was used for 2 months didn't think u would have to pay duty. I'd say shipping would be cheaper.
    Mike

Ok thanks. It'd probably be less hassle also. Would you be able to recommend any couriers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I'd recommend shipping it in two or more shipments and marking the contents as 'second hand bike parts' (assuming of course it is used). FedEx and UPS are both fine for shipping such parcels to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Would you consider buying a folding bike?

They aren't as good as normal bikes, and make you look like a bit of a yuppy who thinks they are a great environmentalist (especially if its a Brompton), but it might suit your plans.

• Advertisement

nah i'm thinking of a racing bike.

How would i go about doing it in two oor more shipments?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭sleepyholland

AIR-AUSSIE wrote: »
    How would i go about doing it in two or more shipments?

By removing some parts.

Then you have one package containing the frame and whatever you leave attached to it, and one package containing whatever you remove - wheels, handlebars, drivechain etc.

Just taking off the wheels and packing everything carefully might be the easiest way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

nah i'm thinking of a racing bike.

How would i go about doing it in two oor more shipments?

Send the frame and bars in one box and wheels and saddle in the other. Crankset can go in either or leave it attached to the frame. good idea to remove the rear derailleur if the frame is not in a well protected box. Good wheel bags are a good idea to protect the hubs and spokes and the other bits in the box. Don't clean it before boxing!

100Suns wrote: »
    Send the frame and bars in one box and wheels and saddle in the other. Crankset can go in either or leave it attached to the frame. good idea to remove the rear derailleur if the frame is not in a well protected box. Good wheel bags are a good idea to protect the hubs and spokes and the other bits in the box. Don't clean it before boxing!

AH right i see. Make it look second hand so. Good idea.

Off topic, but any advice on the type of bike i should look for. I want a racing bike as light as i can get with my money. My budget is around €600 - €700?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Have you already booked your flights? A good carrier makes all the difference - I usually fly BA or Lufthansa with my bike because I can cycle to the airport, hand it to the woman at the desk and it turns up at the other end.

If you cycle fast enough though the green channel, they won't catch you ;)

• Advertisement

Have you already booked your flights? A good carrier makes all the difference - I usually fly BA or Lufthansa with my bike because I can cycle to the airport, hand it to the woman at the desk and it turns up at the other end.

If you cycle fast enough though the green channel, they won't catch you ;)

Yes I am flying with Delta. Not sure what they are like with luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

THe other option would be to ship it. How much would this cost? Would I have to pay customs etc.?

Shipped my new bike home from NYC last year with fedex. Think it was around 200 - 250 dollars, for shipping (paid it at the bike shop). Fedex rang me up about the import duties around 220 Euro, just paid it over the phone. Took roughly 3 days to get it across!......

I think if customs don't have a value for the package, they will weight it and come up with a figure which they will base their charges..

brainstorm wrote: »
    Shipped my new bike home from NYC last year with fedex. Think it was around 200 - 250 dollars, for shipping (paid it at the bike shop). Fedex rang me up about the import duties around 220 Euro, just paid it over the phone. Took roughly 3 days to get it across!......

I think if customs don't have a value for the package, they will weight it and come up with a figure which they will base their charges..

So in total you paid $200 plus custom charge of €220?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brainstorm

<quote>
    So in total you paid $200 plus custom charge of €220?
    </quote>

From memory, yes. I worked it out afterwards and I think it came to somewhere near 400 euro (probably a bit over it) for shipping and customs. Although it no doubt varies based on weight/ expense of item

Your shipping charges would higher from California... obviously...., but if the bike shop can ship it, they will tell you how much it is. Other then that, give fedex / UPS the dimensions and weight of the box(es) and they can tell you the shipping costs..... probably the customs costs too.

If you can live with dragging the bike around the US, then it could be cheaper to bring it home with you. I know its 40 euro each way to take a bike within europe with aer lingus. Couldn't be much more coming from the US.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Delta are awful for charging for bikes.

EUR200. See here.

Still going to do it?

The cheapest way of all is to send the bike back USPS. However, there are guidelines on box dimensions that have to be adhered to (you can google that yourself ;)). A standard bike box will need to be cut down to be within the max size. I shipped a Spec' Langster over recently. Had to remove a wheel and ship it separately in order to meet the box size req'mt. Delta won't charge you for bringing a wheel back.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

100Suns wrote: »
    marking the contents as 'second hand bike parts' (assuming of course it is used). FedEx and UPS are both fine for shipping such parcels to Ireland.
    You are still liable for vat & duty on second hand items, otherwise everybody would simply call stuff second hand.

Duty is payable on items over €150 (exluding postage). VAT is on the item AND the shipping, so if you pay for a fast service you will be paying more VAT than otherwise.
    brainstorm wrote: »
    Usually they ask for an invoice, many accept paypal printouts. It would not be weight, they would look at current market value. Now they will know an ipod is not worth €10, but I got earphones which cost €280 here and they got through, most customs would not recognise the value of them, same with an expensive bike.

Sticky thread on customs etc here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862554

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Delta are awful for charging for bikes.

EUR200. See here.

Still going to do it?

The cheapest way of all is to send the bike back USPS. However, there are guidelines on box dimensions that have to be adhered to (you can google that yourself ;)). A standard bike box will need to be cut down to be within the max size. I shipped a Spec' Langster over recently. Had to remove a wheel and ship it separately in order to meet the box size req'mt. Delta won't charge you for bringing a wheel back.....

Dave2pvd is right, USPS is the cheapest way. Especially if you're not in a rush for it. I was touring in the states during the summer and had to leave the bike behind me. Got prices from FedEx and they wanted $450 to ship it from Eureka in California. Obviously couldn't afford that after my tour so I left the bike with a friend. He checked with USPS and gave them the dimensions of the box and comes to a healthy $70. Should take a week to arrive. Looking forward to seeing my baby again

weaselman wrote: »
    Dave2pvd is right, USPS is the cheapest way. Especially if you're not in a rush for it. I was touring in the states during the summer and had to leave the bike behind me. Got prices from FedEx and they wanted $450 to ship it from Eureka in California. Obviously couldn't afford that after my tour so I left the bike with a friend. He checked with USPS and gave them the dimensions of the box and comes to a healthy $70. Should take a week to arrive. Looking forward to seeing my baby again

Cool $70 would be a reasonable price. Was there VAT and customs on top of that though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭weaselman

Cool $70 would be a reasonable price. Was there VAT and customs on top of that though?

I don't know about the VAT and customs yet. Hoping it's not too much. Depends on weight and value of the goods and shipping I think. The bike sorted me for 6500km this summer so its definitely depreciated in value. My friend is sending it next week so I'll know after that. Can let you know how it goes. It still beats FedEx or trying to get it down from Eureka to San Fran on a Greyhound and then paying 250 to the airline to bring it back.

weaselman wrote: »
    I don't know about the VAT and customs yet. Hoping it's not too much. Depends on weight and value of the goods and shipping I think. The bike sorted me for 6500km this summer so its definitely depreciated in value. My friend is sending it next week so I'll know after that. Can let you know how it goes. It still beats FedEx or trying to get it down from Eureka to San Fran on a Greyhound and then paying 250 to the airline to bring it back.

Yea that would be handy just to know what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

There was no VAT or customs payments required for the Langster I shipped earlier in the year. USPS -> An Post seems to be less likely to attract VAT/Customs fees than FedEx or UPS. Although, my experience of shipping FedEx or UPS is limited. I've shipped all sorts of things USPS over the years. The recipient has never had to pay any 'junk fees'.

Keep in mind that the prices you see in the US are subject to sales tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Check out UPS for the international stuff. FEDEX will kill you. Maybe even check out the USPS, but insure it no matter what.

The problem is that you are going to go on three flights to get home. You'll get hammered for the second bag AND probably oversized, if not overweight. Thus, you'll be paying a minimum of 3x($50) = $150 and you'll have the hassle of bringing it back.

Have you any Americans going to Ireland? They wouldn't be charged to bring a bike back when they are going on Holidays and plan to take it home. No, I am not suggesting that you give them your bike and have them bring it in for you.;)

Do you already have the bike or is it to be acquired?

Slan

FISMA wrote: »
    Check out UPS for the international stuff. FEDEX will kill you. Maybe even check out the USPS, but insure it no matter what.

The problem is that you are going to go on three flights to get home. You'll get hammered for the second bag AND probably oversized, if not overweight. Thus, you'll be paying a minimum of 3x($50) = $150 and you'll have the hassle of bringing it back.

Have you any Americans going to Ireland? They wouldn't be charged to bring a bike back when they are going on Holidays and plan to take it home. No, I am not suggesting that you give them your bike and have them bring it in for you.;)

Do you already have the bike or is it to be acquired?

Slan

Don't have any Americans coming back I'm afraid. I haven't bought the bike yet.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,701 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Rubadub's post above linked to a very useful thread covering the VAT and duty rules. Let's have no more posts with suggestions on how they may be broken.

Thanks

Beasty

Ok so say if I bought this bike for example in California - 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 Road Bike.

How much VAT + duty would be charged on it entering Ireland?

Ok so say if I bought this bike for example in California - 2010 Fuji Roubaix 2.0 Road Bike.

How much VAT + duty would be charged on it entering Ireland?

I think the duty rate is something like 14%. VAT is another 21% on top of that.

I've given up the idea of buying a expensive bike over here. dont want the hassle of ringing it home.

I'm looking at this bike - 54" Fixie. Is it a decent price? Also I've never rode a fixed wheel bike before are they difficult to use?

Advertisement