Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good pub grub, Dundalk border area.

Options
  • 05-10-2010 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Any suggestions?? The last time I tried the Sportsman it was poor. I am looking to meet some in this area and am looking foir some decent pub grub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭gipi

The Malt House on the Dublin Rd near the hospital serves decent grub

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

What about in Blackrock. That looks like a nice wee place to stop?

The Brake, Blackrock??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Hi Antrim Man,

I own a B&B in Blackrock... I always send my Guests to the Clermont. They always say its great and I only ever get fantastic reports about it. Lovely pub and lovely restaurant!

Niall

bigneacy wrote: »
    Hi Antrim Man,

I own a B&B in Blackrock... I always send my Guests to the Clermont. They always say its great and I only ever get fantastic reports about it. Lovely pub and lovely restaurant!

Niall

Thanks for that bigneacy.

gipi wrote: »
    The Malt House on the Dublin Rd near the hospital serves decent grub

Bad reviews :o

http://www.ratemypub.ie/pub.php?county=Louth&pub=Malt-House-Pub-and-Restaurant

• Advertisement

Antrim_Man wrote: »

I would agree with those reviews, In my opinion - The Malt House has staff who are unwelcoming and uncaring, the service is bad, the food is especially slow to come out and is generally only OK to eat. The prices are slightly over the odds for what it is and the toilets leave a lot to be desired. Would not be in my top 10 list of places to eat in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Hi

You cant go wrong with the Clermont, or even sextons on the main dublin r.d just past the fairways. both pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭HAMMERCURRENT

Murphy's pub and restuarant, Meigh, Co Armagh.A little bit out of the way, but very nice for food, it's also a "proper" pub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

is it the" clermont" or" the break" that discourage children?

any restaurant that still proceeds with this policy does`nt deserve biz imo

Hi

You cant go wrong with the Clermont, or even sextons on the main dublin r.d just past the fairways. both pretty decent.

I actually made the conscious decision a few weeks ago that I would never send one of my guests to Sextons. Myself, the girlfriend and her son (5) went there a few weeks ago, we were treated with utter disdain. When we came in we asked was there a table free, the barman (looking at the child) said there would be, but "only if he's kept quiet", I thought hmmm... ok, thats reasonable I suppose, lots of people trying to enjoy their meal don't want loud kids running about the place while they try to eat (not that he would have been but I can see some other kids might have) Anyway we got down to ordering, The young fella made 2 or 3 attempts to make small chat with the waitress and she actually ignored him. I was seething that she could be so rude to a child. I had fully intended to say something about her attitude when she came back but we didn't see her again the whole night. Not even to ask if we wanted a refill or dessert.
    blingrhino wrote: »
    is it the" clermont" or" the break" that discourage children?

any restaurant that still proceeds with this policy does`nt deserve biz imo

The Clermont doesn't but I have hear rumours that the break isn't a huge fan of kids.

• Advertisement

The Brake says no children under 12. I will have a 2,4,and 7 year old. Is the Clermont ok with children??

Sorry folks, should have said child friendly suggestions.

Murphy's pub and restuarant, Meigh, Co Armagh.A little bit out of the way, but very nice for food, it's also a "proper" pub.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meigh

Looks really good but don't think its a place to bring the weans.:o

The Brake says no children under 12. I will have a 2,4,and 7 year old. Is the Clermont ok with children??

Sorry folks, should have said child friendly suggestions.

Antrim_Man, I sent a few families with young kids who were staying overnight to the Clermont. I haven't heard any reports back of any trouble with kids. I will ring them this afternoon and check to make sure. When I find out I will post it up here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I actually made the conscious decision a few weeks ago that I would never send one of my guests to Sextons. Myself, the girlfriend and her son (5) went there a few weeks ago, we were treated with utter disdain. When we came in we asked was there a table free, the barman (looking at the child) said there would be, but "only if he's kept quiet", I thought hmmm... ok, thats reasonable I suppose, lots of people trying to enjoy their meal don't want loud kids running about the place while they try to eat (not that he would have been but I can see some other kids might have) Anyway we got down to ordering, The young fella made 2 or 3 attempts to make small chat with the waitress and she actually ignored him. I was seething that she could be so rude to a child. I had fully intended to say something about her attitude when she came back but we didn't see her again the whole night. Not even to ask if we wanted a refill or dessert.

Have to agree with that.
    Went to Sextons for a family / inlaw meal last year (about 8 of us)
    Nobody in the place and yet the service was absolutely atrocious ! it took so long that we didn't even attempt to ask for tea or coffee nor were we offered. i can't even remember the quality of food, so i'm thinking it was forgettable at best.

Have to agree with that.
    Went to Sextons for a family / inlaw meal last year (about 8 of us)
    Nobody in the place and yet the service was absolutely atrocious ! it took so long that we didn't even attempt to ask for tea or coffee nor were we offered. i can't even remember the quality of food, so i'm thinking it was forgettable at best.

The post I made was my biggest gripe with the place but yes I do remember we had to wait 55 minutes for our food to arrive, the place wasn't even a quarter full. I remember we found it hard to imagine on how bad the service must be when its half or three quarters full. Its a pity because it could be fantastic, and I remember the handful of times we went before it wasn't bad at all. Very hit and miss I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

The Lisdoo on the Newry road.

Closest place with good grub to the border area I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

The post I made was my biggest gripe with the place but yes I do remember we had to wait 55 minutes for our food to arrive, the place wasn't even a quarter full. I remember we found it hard to imagine on how bad the service must be when its half or three quarters full. Its a pity because it could be fantastic, and I remember the handful of times we went before it wasn't bad at all. Very hit and miss I think.

True! because if you think about it, coming from town direction its the only venue (unless you detour via the rock) between xerox and castlebellingham, which i don't think has anywhere left serving food. you'd have to hit dunleer or o neills in annagassan before you got fed. so it has the location potential, but they're obviously not that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Fitzpatricks on the road to carlingford is a great place, infact havnt had a nicer meal at a place close to the border since.

True! because if you think about it, coming from town direction its the only venue (unless you detour via the rock) between xerox and castlebellingham, which i don't think has anywhere left serving food. you'd have to hit dunleer or o neills in annagassan before you got fed. so it has the location potential, but they're obviously not that bothered.

Obviously not... Awh well. If they're not bothered why should we be!
    Onesimus wrote: »
    Fitzpatricks on the road to carlingford is a great place, infact havnt had a nicer meal at a place close to the border since.

Bit pricey tho... They have mastered the fine art of tourist prices! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

I no this place is not a pub but its great for a meal and you can buy beer and wine.

Its the chinese in blackrock they do an all you can eat at a great price and the staff are very nice to kids.

• Advertisement

I no this place is not a pub but its great for a meal and you can buy beer and wine.

Its the chinese in blackrock they do an all you can eat at a great price and the staff are very nice to kids.

The Great Wall is it?

TopBombing wrote: »
    The Lisdoo on the Newry road.

Closest place with good grub to the border area I'd say.

Had a look online. Says €13 pp for the carvery. That's a strong contender TB.:)

http://www.thelisdoo.com/offer.html

The Great Wall is it?

Ya thats the one

Antrim_Man, I sent a few families with young kids who were staying overnight to the Clermont. I haven't heard any reports back of any trouble with kids. I will ring them this afternoon and check to make sure. When I find out I will post it up here. :)

Many thanks. Do they do a set menu or is Sundays a carvery? There is not much information about them online as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

The Clermont, The brake, the windsor, the lisdoo and fitzpatricks.

cant go wrong with any of those really

Is it an all you can eat buffet and if so how much per person?

event wrote: »
    The Clermont, The brake, the windsor, the lisdoo and fitzpatricks.

cant go wrong with any of those really

The Brake is ruled out, not child friendly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭not1but4

http://www.mcgeoughsbar.com/ Only been twice but was good both times.

http://www.darvercastle.ie/ I did get very sick after eating here one night but other then that the food was pretty good.

http://www.eno.ie/ very small but also very nice.

http://www.leftbankdundalk.com/ only been here once but really enjoyed my meal.

Is it an all you can eat buffet and if so how much per person?

Ya you get a menu and you can oder as much as you like as many times as you like for a set price its diffent prices at different times and days eg day time evening and mid week

Think it is only about 7 or 8 euro for adults on a sunday and 5 for kids up till 5 {out by 5 } As then the price's go up

• Advertisement

<snip> i replied to a post that dissappeared :confused:

Advertisement