Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading graphics card

Options
  • 05-10-2010 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Iv got a dinosaur of a PC (This) that I want to stick a more modern card into
    but iv no idea what my motherboard (This) can use
    could I put a GeForce 7600 GT in it?

Thanks,
    Dave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

not that 7600GT that you linked( its PCIE ), your motherboard supports only AGP cards so you would need to get a 7600GT AGP version

This would be just as good performance wise as a 7600GT( price is decent too ) - http://www.adverts.ie/303369/hardware/sapphire-radeon-x1950-gt-256mb-gddr3-agp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Flacks aka Dave

lmimmfn wrote: »
    not that 7600GT that you linked( its PCIE ), your motherboard supports only AGP cards so you would need to get a 7600GT AGP version

This would be just as good performance wise as a 7600GT( price is decent too ) - http://www.adverts.ie/303369/hardware/sapphire-radeon-x1950-gt-256mb-gddr3-agp/

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention I need one with the blue connection thing (sorry dont know the name of it) so I can stick it into my TV and monitor at the same time

Thanks for the reply, I forgot to mention I need one with the blue connection thing (sorry dont know the name of it) so I can stick it into my TV and monitor at the same time
    you mean Svideo out or composite out? that one i linked has a tv out( svideo ). You can see the connector for that card here - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1060/sapphire_radeon_x1950gt_testing_256mb_vs_512mb_memory/index3.html

the blue connection thing

VGA is what I was looking for... I think

you mean Svideo out or composite out? that one i linked has a tv out( svideo ). You can see the connector for that card here - http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1060/sapphire_radeon_x1950gt_testing_256mb_vs_512mb_memory/index3.html

sorry im very new at this... I need one with 1 x DVI and 1 x VGA 15pin

• Advertisement

Do you think this one would be alright This
    Im trying to get one that can run Dawn of war 2, the box says geforce 6600 GT or ATI X1600 128MB RAM or higher

Do you think this one would be alright This
    Im trying to get one that can run Dawn of war 2, the box says geforce 6600 GT or ATI X1600 128MB RAM or higher
    yeah thats fine, that other card will work too, performance wise they will be similar, i reckon that 1950 will be slightly faster though, you can connect the 1950 to your tv with a simple DVI->VGA connector( you get them with most cards, could ask the seller ).

That 7600GS looks far too expensive with the postage, i.e. its £45 which is 55.50Euro, its upto you though, im not affilliated with that seller, i just took a look on adverts( when i saw that 1950 ) and a lot of the other cards that would work with your system are crappy, i.e. Nvidia 5200 junk etc.

yeah thats fine, that other card will work too, performance wise they will be similar, i reckon that 1950 will be slightly faster though, you can connect the 1950 to your tv with a simple DVI->VGA connector( you get them with most cards, could ask the seller ).

That 7600GS looks far too expensive with the postage, i.e. its £45 which is 55.50Euro, its upto you though, im not affilliated with that seller, i just took a look on adverts( when i saw that 1950 ) and a lot of the other cards that would work with your system are crappy, i.e. Nvidia 5200 junk etc.

yeah the one thats in the PC now is a 5200 lol

I went for the adverts.ie one, ill be picking it up tomorrow

Thanks for your help man

yeah the one thats in the PC now is a 5200 lol

I went for the adverts.ie one, ill be picking it up tomorrow

Thanks for your help man
    lol, i had one of those 5200's back in 2001, hated the damn thing haha

No probs, glad you got sorted.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I had a 5200 and loved it! :D Passively cooled goodness, kept me going for years until Oblivion and Quake 4 finally forced me to upgrade :p

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    I had a 5200 and loved it! :D Passively cooled goodness, kept me going for years until Oblivion and Quake 4 finally forced me to upgrade :p
    man they were horrible, i tried playing BF2 on it, my mate used to watch me spinning around and ending up facing the wall( with the lag lol ), Vice City looked like rubbish on it, i hate that card with a passion lol

Advertisement