Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under siege from Sponsorship seekers...

Options
  • 05-10-2010 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,
    Has anyone else in Wexford town been getting loads of children ringing the doorbell with sponsorship cards? I've just moved here a month ago and almost every night, we have at least one. One cheeky kid rang the doorbell at 7pm this evening, waking baby and getting me up from the dinner table. He rang twice and demanded sponsorship. No please, no thanks- no nothing. I told him I had no money on me. I'm afraid of retaliation in the form of eggs on the windows or something. I feel like a cranky old crankpot.... say it ain't so?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A bucket of flour and a garden hose works well in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Our young lad came home the other week with a sponsorship card from the school. I don't agree with sending kids out door to door... nearest and dearest only.

I contributed €5 and the other half €5. Then his grandparents and aunts added a few bob too.

There could have been €20 to €25 in total going back to the school, more than plenty in my opinion.

Though it's a sad country we live in where public schools need private funding... especially when you look back on all the public money that was squandered during the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fitness fan

If its a good cause I will sponsor the first kid then after that i will just say " sorry I have already sponsored someone last night for that"
    usually works without sounding mean

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

As a parent I get that sinking feeling when kids come home from school with these cards. So far this school term - which is only 5 weeks - have had the school walk sponsorship card & readathon cards. Now we have three in primary which equals 6 donations for us & family that we tap at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As a parent I get that sinking feeling when kids come home from school with these cards. So far this school term - which is only 5 weeks - have had the school walk sponsorship card & readathon cards. Now we have three in primary which equals 6 donations for us & family that we tap at this stage.

I say send back one and bin (recycle ;)) the others. One per household is more than enough and there's no obligation to these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

They're everywhere, every traffic light in every town, with their buckets and yellow jackets. I find the best way to avoid these people is look straight ahead, dont even look at them. Dont get me wrong - I do support charities - Barnardos, Donkey Sanctuary and Bothar get money from me via direct debit every month.

As for the sponsorship collectors, I kind of feel sorry for the kids. They probably get abuse and doors slammed in their faces a lot. If schools need money why dont they run some events. Local primary school runs a field day every year and raises a lot of money - courtesy of the commitment of the Parents Association.

But the worst offenders must be the people who gather sponsorship to "Walk the Great Wall of China" or similar... Just pay for your own holiday and leave me alone!!!!! Now if anyone wants to sponsor a weekend in Paris for me, I'd gladly accept donations:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

But the worst offenders must be the people who gather sponsorship to "Walk the Great Wall of China" or similar... Just pay for your own holiday and leave me alone!!!!! Now if anyone wants to sponsor a weekend in Paris for me, I'd gladly accept donations:rolleyes:

I'm with you on that. Either the money you're raising all goes to the charity or you're not getting it. Same with professional door-to-door fundraisers - if you're on a cut of it, you're getting nowt.

Advertisement