Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous owners never took stuff with them!

Options
  • 05-10-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭

Righty-o, We got the keys to our new home today. All is well and good. During the contract signings the solicitor asked us had we any requests or conditions.

We wanted all furniture (beds, sofa, tables etc) taking away and specified that the shed must be cleared also.

All the furniture is gone but nothing was romoved from the shed. A dryer, huge freezer, tv and a sinister looking box that im scared to look in :o

This is stuff thats going to cost me money to get rid of. I dont want to be pety because of it, but it was a small request.
    I mentioned it to the solicitor but she just advised me to contact the estate agent.

Anyone have a problem like this before? Could I send the previous owners the bill for recycling? Or is it our problem now that the deal is done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Have you no use for any of it??

Otherwise list it in the free section of adverts.ie and it'll soon be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If you have the keys then there is little you can do. Happened to me; shed and attic packed with crap. Oh well at least house was good value (at the time!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Avns1s wrote: »
    Have you no use for any of it??

Otherwise list it in the free section of adverts.ie and it'll soon be gone.

None, it all looks pretty crappy. I doubt I could even give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

Not sure if this is any good to you, but every so often there is free electrical recycling in different parts of Dublin. I've often heard the ad's for this on the radio. I know it might mean waiting a while and also you are still left with trying to move the stuff yourself but at least it wouldn't cost you anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Did you put any of the requirements in writing? Either way, I'd still contac the EA and tell them that they still haven't removed anything from the shed and that it's a major inconvenience. And put it in writing. And keep a record of posing, or drop it into the office and have somebody sign for it. The last thing you want is to have the EA try and withold your deposit at the end of your tenancy due to 'stuff' being left in the shed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

It was up to you to inspect the house right up to the time of signing and not to sign if you weren't happy I'm sure it's in the contract that your taking the house and your satisfied to with the condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dancor wrote: »
    All the furniture is gone but nothing was romoved from the shed. A dryer, huge freezer, tv and a sinister looking box that im scared to look in :o
    TV can be left in your local recycling place. The box I'm curious about. Dryer and huge freezer are handy. If the dryer is broken, sure, throw it out, but having a big freezer in the shed is great, as it allows you to do one big shop (esp if you're getting meat from a wholesale butchers) and not fill your freezer in the house.

As said, people will take them all. Heck, people may even give you money for the big freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

convert wrote: »
    Did you put any of the requirements in writing? Either way, I'd still contac the EA and tell them that they still haven't removed anything from the shed and that it's a major inconvenience. And put it in writing. And keep a record of posing, or drop it into the office and have somebody sign for it. The last thing you want is to have the EA try and withold your deposit at the end of your tenancy due to 'stuff' being left in the shed!
    I think this is a purchase, not a renting.
    EKRIUQ wrote: »
    It was up to you to inspect the house right up to the time of signing and not to sign if you weren't happy I'm sure it's in the contract that your taking the house and your satisfied to with the condition.
    Erm, the house would have been fully occupied when they signed.

Victor wrote: »
    I think this is a purchase, not a renting.

Oops! :o
    Completely misread that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭mckildare

If they're in any kind of working order stick them up on adverts in the freebies, a big freezer and dryer will probably be snapped up, families/students just after moving into somewhere cheap and are missing a few vitals.

Dude picked up a wardrobe off me cuz all his clothes were still in boxes :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

happened to me.

the solicitors and estate agents werent interested.

it took 3 skips to get rid of the crap they left:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put the freezer, dryer, tv, and box into the EA's office? :D :P :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Well it's not the EA's fault if their client is a jerk. In theory this shouldn't happen, but there's not much you can do, because it's a small enough amount of cost.

One practial thing to do is to change the locks though, because sometimes the seller will decide they 'forgot' something and decide to come back for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

leinster freecycle or one of those websites and someone will ring you within minutes willing to take them off you generally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 maria gstones

http://www.freetradeireland.ie/

Some people might want the items that you don't want. See the website above. Its a good way of not having to pay to get rid of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 crabfeet

The vendor has failed to give you vacant possession as required by the contract. There is case law on this. Tell your solicitor top write to the other side with a listy of the items and advise them that they are in breach of contract and that you will be pursuing them for damages. When you want items cleared from a house before purchase you should visit the house prior to the closing and check it. If the items are not gone, simply refuse to close until they are taken away.

If you've closed, there's not a whole lot that can be done, but having your solicitor write to the previous owners telling them that they haven't fulfilled their part of the contract and that you will be charging them for storage and/or of their 'stuff'. Not sure if it'll get you anywhere - your solicitor will be able to tell you for defininte - but it's worth a try.

Otherwise, try sell the stuff if it still works, or advertise it free and see if anybody needs it for parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tevion

www.jumbletown.com

is excellent for getting rid of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Thanks for all the advice so far folks.

I think we are getting somewhere on it now. They are to contact me and arrange a time to collect the stuff. If they do or not I dont know yet.

Advertisement