Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi interferes with Bluetooth when uploading?

• 05-10-2010 8:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I have this ongoing problem with my bluetooth mouse and wifi network.

Both the bluetooth and wifi are built into my laptop (Fujitsu Pi3560)

My mouse is a logitech M555b.

When I'm on the net just browsing, or downloading, it's fine. But as soon as I try to upload something the cursor movements on the screen become choppy for the duration of the upload, then go back to normal after it has completed?

Is there any settings I can change on either my wifi or bluetooth to stop this interference?

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

Here's an image of the settings I have on my wireless adapter. I don't know where I'd change channel or Tx settings for my mouse.

129980.PNG

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

If you have support for wireless N on your router and it supports it you could move excluively to the 5Ghz band (the wireless adapter seem to be a N one judging from the screenshot?)

Bluetooth uses Frequency-hopping spread spectrum transmission (hops around the 2.4 GHz band) so there is no way to fix the frequency unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I can't dedicate to the N range entirely as I have devices on the wifi network that don't support it.

What about making changes in regards to how the bluetooth connects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,243 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I know this doesn't solve your problem but thats why I opted out of bluetooth when purchasing a wireless mouse for the laptop. Instead I'd reccomend one of the Logitech's with the nano-receiver, these work on a fixed frequency to the best of my knowledge and I've never had a problem with the connection. They also appear to get much improved battery life: Most are advertised 1-2 years of battery life. That assumes youre not like me and actually switch it "off" when youre done with it - I get about 3-6 months.

The best thing I could suggest is play arounf with the 12 or so channels that the wirless router is able to operate on. Surely there is one in there that the bluetooth uses less frequently than the others.

Maybe this research paper will help: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:inH1TTviTc4J:www.hp.com/rnd/library/pdf/WiFi_Bluetooth_coexistance.pdf+bluetooth+interference&hl=en&gl=us&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESjSXjckQZSGzsRiWXErSYBk3xvsBz-pKyncGvVszNie1IO4MAShaJvamqPqFaH2AMxRpdsbFKT1UJB1z4hvo6WXTUEN3KMeTAXX2Qy9m4kUcnQ4TUGJrPXBUyC-_qPS141OvtWU&sig=AHIEtbTw9XVAtH9XqNZVw5CL06x2OHwu5A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Change channel on Your wireless router. There are 11 channels for use in Usa and Canada (13 in Europe, 14 in Japan), pick another at least 6 channels away from where it is now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Actually I got a bit ahead of myself there, as your router may not even be dual band at all. A single band Wireless N router would also only be operating in the 2.4GHz space and interference would still be a factor. Bluetooth covers the entire 8.11G spectrum (and plenty more outside it) you are quite likely to see problems on any channel, but as Overheal suggests perhaps some might be better than others.

However, if you have a a genuine dual band N router then I am pretty sure the following should work. First set the router to 'mixed' network mode (b/g/n) and then under advanced settings of your wireless adapter set 'wireless mode' to N only, In think that this ought to force it to use (or at the very least show a preference for) the 5GHz range.

• Advertisement
Advertisement