Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

removing pedals

• 05-10-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is a stupid question but I'm trying to take of my normal pedals to put on a set for cleats but I can't get them off. I understand the left one goes cw and the right one goes ccw but there isn't a budge am I missing something or is it a case of wd40 and a bit of elbow grease

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Pedals loosen in the opposite direction that the crank arm turns. Try lengthening the lever you are using by attaching a second spanner or a short length of pipe. WD40 or 3 in 1 penetrant will also help. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭serendip

I use the trick that right is right. So the right pedal loosens the normal way (the right way) and the left pedal the other way. So to get the right pedal off go anticlockwise, and for the left pedal go clockwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

there's no budging them time to call in mr muscle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

sometimes trying to tighten them a fraction is just enough to break the 'seal'. Use plenty of wd40 and make sure you have plenty of levereage. If all else fails off to LBS with before you do damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MWalljobs

shock treatment will do if all else fails, put the correct spanner on and then short sharp blows with hammer, check for loosening after every blow. will work. you need to break the 'time seal' that has set in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

A word of advice, be careful when giving the max power on the leaver. When I was abroad this summer & was taking of my pedals to repack my bike I was giving it leather when I finally loosened the pedal but was applying so much force that I smashed my hand into the the teeth of the chainset! It was not my finest moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

If you can heat the pedal end of the crank arm by an appreciable amount without damaging the pedal, this will improve your chances of removing them intact (steel expands less than aluminium for a given temperature increase).

Even a kettle of boiling water poured over the crank arm might do the trick if you're lucky. That shouldn't cause any damage to bearing seals or plastic surfaces.

If you're going to bin the pedals anyway, then you could apply a bit more heat than that by using a blow torch. Or, if you can't get your hands on a blow torch, you could remove the cranks from the bottom bracket (more hassle, I know) and stick them in the oven for a while. Just remember to pop the oven gloves on when taking them out! ;)

When fitting replacement pedals, coat the threads with some anti-seize grease. They may come off easier the next time.

Advertisement