Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I being blackmailed?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, I am an electronics engineer and have been with this employer for over a year now. I have been told I am to go on a three day week and must sign a new contract with a new probationary period because he does not want me to have any legal recourse if he decides to let me go in three months. In addition I have to sign paper-work to the effect that leaving the company was by my own free will. If I sign I think he will let me go; if I don't sign he is giving me the impression I will be let go immediatley. I have been told all the above is to protect him from possible litigation he fears from me if he let me go. By the way the three day week has already been impossed and I have not yet signed anything... Ohh yeah, and heres the killer blow, my letter from the company needed to process my social welfare payments is being with-held untill I sign all the above. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Regards Vettriano.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

what he is trying to do it totally illegal. contact NERA immediately and if your in a position to do so find another job, hard I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

No, it's not blackmail.

However, it is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

I'm with previous posters...not blackmail, but totally illegal
    This, however, is GOOD news for you... it means NERA/LC etc etc can deal with this bloke (blackmail would not be....).
    Look for another job, it sounds to me that you are correct in thinking that he's looking to fire you and avoid a case later on.
    Sign nothing....you can't be forced to, you have a contract (which he is probably now in breach of) and threatening your job/current contract is illegal
    Good luck with it and call NERA ASAP !

Advertisement