Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I check for dropped connections?

Options
  • 05-10-2010 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭

I think I'm getting a few dropped connections everynow and again and I'd like to check if it's my modem, my router or my ISP is the problem.

Anyone got any idea how I would go about doing this...is there logs I can check?
    If so, what do I look for?

I've got BB with UPC and have the cisco ep2425 and a wndr3700 router.

Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭KennyLegend

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

Every router should have a log in the diagnostic page, if its dropping a lot, change the wireless channel

akamossie wrote: »
    Every router should have a log in the diagnostic page, if its dropping a lot, change the wireless channel

Im not convinced it's my wireless router to be honest so changing the channel would probably do nothing. I'm thinking it's either my Cisco epc2425 or UPC connection.

I just need a bit guidance on whst to look out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

WinMTR

Run it for few hours to any responding Internet IP (e.g. www.boards.ie) and monitor it to see at what point, if any, that packets are lost.

bhickey wrote: »
    WinMTR

Run it for few hours to any responding Internet IP (e.g. www.boards.ie) and monitor it to see at what point, if any, that packets are lost.

Hi mate. Thanks fir the reply.
    Sorry for being so annoying but could you explain what u said above again pls as I'm only learning about this whole networking thing.
    Dropped connections again last night bout 10pm. Internet just stopped working totally fir a few mins.
    I don't have access to the logs section in my cisco epc2425 so I'm not sure how else to check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Download WinMTR, it's just a zipped WinMTR.exe file so extract this WinMTR.exe file to somewhere handy (e.g. your desktop).

When you run it, it will prompt you for a host - enter anything here that lives on the Internet and responds to pings (e.g. www.boards.ie) and click on <Start>.

The program will trace the route from your computer to www.boards.ie and show the stats for each step of the way. After a dropped connection, you should be able to work out at what step in the journey the connection dropped.

bhickey wrote: »
    Download WinMTR, it's just a zipped WinMTR.exe file so extract this WinMTR.exe file to somewhere handy (e.g. your desktop).

When you run it, it will prompt you for a host - enter anything here that lives on the Internet and responds to pings (e.g. www.boards.ie) and click on <Start>.

The program will trace the route from your computer to www.boards.ie and show the stats for each step of the way. After a dropped connection, you should be able to work out at what step in the journey the connection dropped.

Thanks for that. I had entered the name of my pc in as the host and couldn't get it to work...doh !!

Advertisement