Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinkbike Beginners Road Group.

• 05-10-2010 9:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭

The first beginners road spin of 2010 will leave the shop in Rathmines at 9.00 am this coming Sunday 10th October.

Average distance between 40 - 60 k and building from that week to week.

The pace of this group will be leisurely and nobody will be left behind

All welcome ..see you Sunday.

Helmets must be worn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭byrybak

unfortunately im away this coming sunday, but definitely i will be there for next spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

byrybak wrote: »
    unfortunately im away this coming sunday, but definitely i will be there for next spin.

@ byrybak I think we might give you the honour of leading our club spin when you are available to join us in honour of your commitment and determination on the roads of Wicklow last sunday... :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

damn i would have really enjoyed this, been a while since i've been on the bike due to various reasons... but i'm at a wedding on the saturday so will be practically impossible to get back in time for this.

next one for sure, pace and length sound ideal.

damn i would have really enjoyed this, been a while since i've been on the bike due to various reasons... but i'm at a wedding on the saturday so will be practically impossible to get back in time for this.

next one for sure, pace and length sound ideal.

No worries we will be going out every weekend so we will see you on our next spin ......enjoy the knees up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    The first beginners road spin of 2010 will leave the shop in Rathmines at 9.00 am this coming Sunday 10th October.

Average distance between 40 - 60 k and building from that week to week.

The pace of this group will be leisurely and nobody will be left behind

All welcome ..see you Sunday.

Helmets must be worn

I can't find any information on this online...

Do you have to be a member of a club to do this? Do ye have a club?
    Is it open to everyone.

Wouldn't mind trying this, although I've no real experience of long cycles.

• Advertisement

De Bhál wrote: »
    I can't find any information on this online...

Do you have to be a member of a club to do this? Do ye have a club?
    Is it open to everyone.

Wouldn't mind trying this, although I've no real experience of long cycles.

Hi there De Bhal

Havent actually posted info on website yet hope to update between today and tomorrow

No you do not need to be a member of a club, Yes we have both a road and mountain bike club,which is, of course open to everyone.

Come along on Sunday anyway if you can and give it a try...you will be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Thanks for the information.

when you say beginners, is age a factor? I'm 33, will it be me and a load of youngsters (<23)?

Not that I have too much of a problem with this just wanted to know what I'm getting myself in for. It'll be all completely new to me.

How long would 50k take roughly?

Do you need to stop for lunch or would it be non-stop?

I have a hybrid bicycle, is this sufficient?

Sorry for all the questions, just planning on getting fitter as I damaged my ankle playing football in july and cycling is the only sport I can now do according to the physio.

De Bhál wrote: »
    Thanks for the information.

when you say beginners, is age a factor? I'm 33, will it be me and a load of youngsters (<23)?

Not that I have too much of a problem with this just wanted to know what I'm getting myself in for. It'll be all completely new to me.

How long would 50k take roughly?

Do you need to stop for lunch or would it be non-stop?

I have a hybrid bicycle, is this sufficient?

Sorry for all the questions, just planning on getting fitter as I damaged my ankle playing football in july and cycling is the only sport I can now do according to the physio.

We cater for all age groups our youngest is 18 and our oldest is..... well I wont say he may get mad.... age is not an issue

We are generally out for between 2 and 3 hours

Hybrid is fine once its in good mechanical order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Wow, this would be perfect for me. What direction will you be heading?

Wow, this would be perfect for me. What direction will you be heading?

I will decide on Sunday when I see who turns up on the day but Enniskerry direction is always a good bet and sure we will see from there. I am open to suggestions once everyone is comfortable with distance..

• Advertisement

I work across the road from the shop so I might pop in tomorrow if I get a chance, need a few bits. Will you be there yourself?

I work across the road from the shop so I might pop in tomorrow if I get a chance, need a few bits. Will you be there yourself?

Ah gud stuff and yeah I will be there from 11.30 am c u den

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

im for a group ride, just hoping my new tyres come in post today, iv lost my tyre levers so being unable change my flat from last sunday.

manafana wrote: »
    im for a group ride, just hoping my new tyres come in post today, iv lost my tyre levers so being unable change my flat from last sunday.

Sure if you are close to shop pop in and we will sort you out.

Sure if you are close to shop pop in and we will sort you out.

thanks for offer but im in walkingstown will try pick some up in town if package doesnt arrive b4 this evening.

right rear tyre fixed will be bringing spare tube with me sunday incase thou, anyone else attending? I'll be on road bike myself, but not on clip pedals just yet.

manafana wrote: »
    anyone else attending? .

Jez I hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭another world

I´ll be there all going well. First outing on my racer, so complete beginner!

I´ll be there all going well. First outing on my racer, so complete beginner!

Good stuff see you in the morning so....Super

Anymore takers :

THINKBIKE BEGINNERS ROAD SPIN TOMORROW MORNING (SUNDAY)

LEAVING SHOP IN RATHMINES 10.00 AM - Sharpish

40 -50 K 2-3 HOURS.

HELMETS MUST BE WORN. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

LEAVING SHOP IN RATHMINES 10.00 AM - Sharpish

I'm assuming the later time of 10am is the new time. Will try to make it down for this, although given I was out for a spin today, sneaking out on the family may be difficult. Hopefully a bit less windy tomorrow!

any planned route rough idea on goggle maps will be great, if anyone coming throug walkinstown wants meet up to head onto rathmines give me a pm.

10.00 am is the depart time meet at shop from around 9.45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

I'll be there, looking forward to it.

alitoast wrote: »
    I'll be there, looking forward to it.

Great see u then

See you in the morning. Let's hope it's not as windy as it was today.

Tomorrow
    Dull and misty in the morning, but it will gradually brighten up with sunny spells developing. Rather warm in the afternoon, with top temperatures of 16 to 19 degrees C, highest inland, with a light to moderate easterly breeze.

Great spin today,47km covered. was great to meet some of you. Sound bunch of lads n las's.
    Looking forward to next one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Great spin, thanks to the lads from thinkbike for organising it and getting us there. Particular thanks for the crew that went on to Laragh and were patient with my slower pace. Catch up with you again in a couple of weeks, and enjoy next weeks epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

what was the average speed?

yeah a good ride and well organised, first time in the wicklow mountains took long way home to top up the km's for the day.

Great spin today, super turn out too 15 in all biggest group to date ..... thanks to all who joined us and well done to you all.
    Hope everyone enjoyed the spin with the relaxing coffee break halfway in Glencree.
    Already thinking up a route for next Sunday..... so keep in touch everyone and see you all next wend.

PS: Dont forget Mountain biking next Saturday morning .... contact me for more info if intrested.

remus808 wrote: »
    what was the average speed?

Route and stats
    We stopped for around 15 mins before i remembered to press the pause button on Runkeeper so average would be affected slightly.

Hi all

Thinkbike beginners spin this wend leaving shop in Rathmines this coming Sunday at 10.00am heading in Blessington lakes direction usual distance 40 - 60k about 2-3 hours ....

Hope to see good turnout like last week

See you all on Sunday :):)

Unfortunatly won't be able to make it tomorrow :-(
    Was looking forward to it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭alitoast

Hi Guys,
    wont be able to make it tomorrow either or the bank holiday weekend but loking forward to getting out again in three weeks.

alan

iv got some full length bib shorts just for the occaision

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

Very pleasant spin this morning/afternoon. Lots of thanks to Adrian from Think Bike in Rathmines and might see some of you next Sunday. A couple of inicdents on the way back (downhill misjudgements :) ) But hopefully all will be ok in the fullness of time. Here's a few photos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Good photos, nasty slam. He OK? Or her for that matter?

Two slams. one hurty bike, one hurty man. I had the decency not to photograph the hurty man...except him being bundled into the car of a very nice gent who was passing and came to his aid with antiseptic, roof rack and a lift to the hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Passed you guys around Manor Kilbride, a lot of you out today, good to see the spins are proving a success. The more people out and about the better for the sport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

enjoyed the spin today...until i started eating tarmac!! anyhow thanks to adrian and the others (didnt get your names sorry) for hanging around...hope the other fellas alright also!

poochiem wrote: »
    Very pleasant spin this morning/afternoon. Lots of thanks to Adrian from Think Bike in Rathmines and might see some of you next Sunday. A couple of inicdents on the way back (downhill misjudgements :) ) But hopefully all will be ok in the fullness of time. Here's a few photos

Thanks for the snaps always good to have a photographer out with us to record the day ...Cheers

Two slams. one hurty bike, one hurty man. I had the decency not to photograph the hurty man...except him being bundled into the car of a very nice gent who was passing and came to his aid with antiseptic, roof rack and a lift to the hospital.

That was Ian from Orwell sound guy thanks again for you help... much appreciated.

TheNah wrote: »
    enjoyed the spin today...until i started eating tarmac!! anyhow thanks to adrian and the others (didnt get your names sorry) for hanging around...hope the other fellas alright also!

Thats the spirit keep the faith .....sorry to have to leave you but as you know had to attend the other incident further down the decent.... see you soon hope the knees not too sore in the morning....Well done by the way..

You'll be delighted to hear that after leaving you guys I discovered ridiculous amount of road rash...then my rear derailleur attacked my spokes on the way out to service in tallaght and almost toppled me in front of a car. So a new derailleur, spokes and god knows what else and a three mile walk. sweet.

cryingdawson.gif

You'll be delighted to hear that after leaving you guys I discovered ridiculous amount of road rash...then my rear derailleur attacked my spokes on the way out to service in tallaght and almost toppled me in front of a car. So a new derailleur, spokes and god knows what else and a three mile walk. sweet.

cryingdawson.gif

Sorry to hear that..and...... I DO SHARE YOUR PAIN..a day to remember (forget) eh ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

then my rear derailleur attacked my spokes on the way out to service in tallaght and almost toppled me in front of a car.

They may not be euro or cool but that's the reason why pie plates aren't such a bad idea. :cool: While nobody plans on falling off their bike and bending their rear derailleur or hanger, it does happen and it's understandable for the cyclist to forget to check and adjust the derailleur limit screws after the trauma of a fall.

It always hurts to fall but at least there are no broken bones. I broke my collar bone at the end of June and am only just back cycling a few weeks ago. :(

Hi guys

so im a one armed bandit for while, got out last night had elbw surgery monday doc says im doin well, just limited with what i can do, will ring one ladz later to update

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

hey, thanks for the update, glad to hear you are out of hospital and on the mend, the worst is over for you:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement