Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Advice Needed

• 05-10-2010 9:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm a software developer who has been working in contract roles for the last year and a half. This situation doesn't look like changing any time soon and in general it suits me except for the fact that I don't know where I will be living once a contract finishes.

I have O2 mobile broadband (I signed up thinking it was a good idea as I could take it with me as I move around) and it's fine for checking e-mail and browsing Boards but its 15Gb cap is really aimed at light Internet users and lately I've noticed a deterioration in download speed which renders it pretty useless for me. As I write this post I'm downloading a file at a massive 4.2 kb/s :(. With a Steam account on my PC, frequent visits to Jamendo, various bits and bobs at Indaba Music and a PS3 I need more than that but O2 don't offer anything else.

With that in mind I am wondering just what decent broadband options are available? I have no problem paying for the service and connection fees but the main providers I thought of immediately (Magnet, Smart Telecom UPC and Eircom) seem to only offer 12 month minimum contracts which is awkward for me as I'd hate to sign up for a package and then be stuck paying for it if I had to move.

So, in summary, I live in Cork city and I'm looking for decent broadband that doesn't require a 12 month minimum contract. Does such a thing exist?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

is Imagine WiMAX there? think they are the only ones that dont tie you down to a contract.

In saying that, if your going to be staying in ireland then its a simple case of telling your provider that you are moving and they should move your service for you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

innovated wrote: »
    is Imagine WiMAX there? think they are the only ones that dont tie you down to a contract.
    I've just checked their website and unfortunately it's not available in my area currently :(.
    innovated wrote:
    In saying that, if your going to be staying in ireland then its a simple case of telling your provider that you are moving and they should move your service for you
    Hmm, I didn't know that was possible. So if I call Eircom and get them to setup broadband where I'm living currently and then I move to Dublin in a few months time for example I can bring it with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Malice_ wrote: »
    Hmm, I didn't know that was possible. So if I call Eircom and get them to setup broadband where I'm living currently and then I move to Dublin in a few months time for example I can bring it with me?
    Neither did I. Eircom is probably your best bet, but you'll need to ensure any house you move into has an eircom phone line.

From http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=176&E=0000000000262267587&K=6296&SXI=9&E=0000000000262267587&St=176&K=6296&SXI=9&case=10936&branch=4
    How do I move my telephone service?

Moving your telephone service is easy. Please free call eircom on 1901. Then follow the options – Service enquiry – Moving house – Moving house

Advertisement