Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposed new sticky for licence and CBT questions

• 05-10-2010 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭

Please copy and paste this post to make any changes that you think need to be made.

Hopefully at the end we will have a workable/usable post, which will then be stickied.

If you want to get into biking, then you first need to get the appropraite licence. There are three categories of motorbike licences in Ireland:

A1 - Motorbike up to 11kw and up to 125
    A - Motorbike with or without a side car
    M - Mopeds with a max speed of 45KPH and an engine size up to 50cc.

If you get a category A learners permit, you ride any bike as long as it is restricted to 25kw/33bhp or has a power to wieght ratio less than 0.16kw/kg (0.212bhp/kg).
    This restriction continues for two years after you obtained your full A licence.

You can not do your full test until you have held your learners permit for 6 months.
    If your provisional licence expired more than 5 years ago, you need to pass the theory test before a learners permit will be issued to you.

From the 6th December 2010 a new, first time learners permit holder will be required to take 16 hours of training with an approved instructor.
    (this is were I need help, as I know very little about CBT)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

If you want to get into biking, then you first need to get the appropraite licence. There are three categories of motorbike licences in Ireland:

If you get a category A learners permit, you ride any bike as long as it is restricted to 25KW/33BHP AND has a power to wieght ratio less than 0.16kw/kg (0.212bhp/kg). This restriction continues for two years after you obtained your full A licence.

If you wish to ride a bike beyond this power restriction, you can obtain a restriction kit. This kit reduces the bike to the license limits of 25KW/33BHP.

You can not do your full test until you have held your learners permit for 6 months. If your provisional licence expired more than 5 years ago, you need to pass the theory test before a learners permit will be issued to you.

From the 6th December 2010 a new, first time learners permit holder will be required to take 16 hours of training with an approved instructor.

** The whole restriction thing I know is a can of worms, but seeing as it is advice, I'd error on the side of caution. I passed my A licence in Dec 09 and it implies AND for both criteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

jayok wrote: »
    If you want to get into biking, then you first need to get the appropriate licence. There are three categories of motorbike licences in Ireland:

A1 - Motorbike up to 11kw and up to 125cc

If you get a category A learners permit, you ride any bike as long as it is restricted to 25KW/33BHP AND has a power to wieght ratio less than 0.16kw/kg (0.212bhp/kg). This restriction continues for two years after you obtained your full A licence.

If you wish to ride a bike beyond this power restriction, you can obtain a restriction kit. This kit reduces the bike to the license limits of 25KW/33BHP.

You can not do your full test until you have held your learners permit for 6 months. If your provisional licence expired more than 5 years ago, you need to pass the theory test before a learners permit will be issued to you.

** The whole restriction thing I know is a can of worms, but seeing as it is advice, I'd error on the side of caution. I passed my A licence in Dec 09 and it implies AND for both criteria.

Just correcting the spelling there.

Also worth linking to this.
    http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Safe-driving/For-Motorcyclists/New-Regulations/

and this

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Motorcyclists/The-Motorcycle-Test/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Has all the right info for license alright.

I'd advise linking off to http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing as well as it will have license forms, and updated info as any rules and regs change. The site also has good info on how to apply, rates, where to apply etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corpseorourke

what do you mean by first time permit holders?

does this mean all new laws only apply to those who get there provisional after the date of december 6th?

or does it mean that all persons holding a provisional bike license no matter how long will be suject to the new laws?

please help as i am currently studying for my theory test

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

P.C. wrote: »
    Please copy and paste this post to make any changes that you think need to be made.

Hopefully at the end we will have a workable/usable post, which will then be stickied.

If you get a category A learners permit, you ride any bike as long as it is restricted to 25kw/33bhp or has a power to wieght ratio less than 0.16kw/kg (0.212bhp/kg).
    This restriction continues for two years after you obtained your full A licence.

<The purpouse of the A1 license is essentially to accomodate bike drivers under 18 yrs. You can complete a driving test for the A1 category but if you will later wish to drive larger bikes, you will have to get an A Learner's Permit and complete a driving test for that category seperately. If you complete a driving test for the A category, you automatically receive a full license for the A1 category too>

From the 6th December 2010 a new, first time learners permit holder will be required to take 16 hours of training <called CBT- Compulsory Bike training> with an approved instructor.

How do they make you take the training? In other words, what's the consequence for not taking CBT- ie, you can't apply for the driving test? Or is CBT compulsory for before you can get a Learner's Permit??

• Advertisement

Current insurers offering bike insurance are; Quinn Direct, Adelaide (NI), Carole Nash and AON.

Although, not all will quote new riders. They also may not quote for larger bikes. If you want a larger bike that is restricted, the two options are a full power bike with an "aftermarket restrictor" kit with a supplied certificate but insurers often view these sceptically. Even with greatly reduced power output, they will often charge you the full price or will refuse to insure you full stop. The other option is to find a "factory restricted" bike which is one which left the factory almost identical to it's full power siblings only that it's output is restricted (usually electronically) by the manufaturer to 33bhp/ 25KW. These are seen as not tamperable and therefore the insurers look better at these. The compromise is that if you wished to keep the bike after your two year ost-test "restriction period", it is prohibitively expensive to convert the bike to full power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭corpseorourke

if its compulsory befor been given your permit then all permits befor 6th december are exempt. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

As can be seen from the RSA's reply to a query about the restriction,http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056037952&page=2 (post 25),the grey area is cleared up. It doesn't make sense to restrict on both grounds,going by that theory a 66hp bike that is 320kgs should be restricted back to 33hp,a honda 50 would pull more than it at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

what do you mean by first time permit holders?

does this mean all new laws only apply to those who get there provisional after the date of december 6th?

or does it mean that all persons holding a provisional bike license no matter how long will be suject to the new laws?

please help as i am currently studying for my theory test

?

As long as you pass your theory test, and apply for your learners permit before the 6th December, you are OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It isn't being called a CBT any more. It is now Initial Basic training, or IBT.

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/GDL/Initial%20Basic%20Training%20Course%20for%20Motorcycling.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Any more thoughts on this? Was looking forward to seeing the finished article.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

I hope you don't mind me adding this link to my starting out page but it has useful info related to this thread.
    http://www.roadskill.ie/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=39

You can also find the full IBT syllabus here
    http://rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/IBT/CBT_INITIAL%20_SYLLABUS_Sept_2010.pdf

Roadskill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Any more thoughts on this? Was looking forward to seeing the finished article.

So am I. :rolleyes:

Somehow a woman has decided to take up a lot of my time. :eek:

Hopefully I can get this back on track.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

P.C. wrote: »
    So am I. :rolleyes:

Somehow a woman has decided to take up a lot of my time. :eek:

Hopefully I can get this back on track.

Just tell your mam you're busy with internet stuff and that you can't talk right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭carsQhere

If you get a category A learners permit, you ride any bike as long as it is restricted to 25KW/33BHP AND has a power to wieght ratio less than 0.16kw/kg (0.212bhp/kg).

Wrong. It's been done to death by now. The legislation says "Or" not "And". See: http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/25kw-license-facts/

The legislation is clear. Do a search on this board, or follow the links on the MAG page.

Advertisement