Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chiptune workshops & gig

• 05-10-2010 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi folks.

Hope this isn't out of place here (mods feel free to move), but I know there's been a bit of interest in chiptunes from people on here.

On Thursday 21st from midday in Exchange Dublin, Gamepak presents a day of participatory show-and-tell chipmusicmaking workshops.

All workshops are free, but spaces may be limited - if you'd like to take part, please contact us in advance, especially if you have any gameboys or other consoles you'd like to make music on, so the nuts and bolts can be sorted out in advance. Just contact gamepakdublin[at]gmail.com

Then, to follow our day of Opensource Audio Workshops in Exchange, Gamepak invites you up the road to the Thomas House from 8pm for a night of the finest chiptune styled electronic music, with guest DJs and VJs, DonkeyKong competition, cheap pizzas & pitchers - not to mention a STOMPin' afterparty in a not-so-secret South William street basement location. Check out the Facebuck event page here for more info.

Workshop details are as follows:

12:00 TRUE CHIP TIL DEATH
    True Chip / Gameboy Music workshop with Ant Creator
    Kicking things off we've Gamepak's venerable co-founder showing the ropes of composition & performance with Nintendo Gameboys, including the basics of tracker music software, and modding up gameboys for music usage.

13:00 FAKEBIT ALL THE WAY
    Using 8-bit Sounds in Computer Music with Aidan Shatterfreak
    Forget about your favourite old computergaming consoles for an hour, then, and see how to squeeze those self-same sounds, and more, from samples, VSTs and emulators in the context of widely-used software like FruityLoops Studio and Ableton Live.

14:00 Breaktime! We chill, maybe eat some 8-bit allsorts for luncheon...

15:00 8BIT EYECANDIES
    8-bit VJing and Visuals with Phil LastKnight
    Making 8-bit visuals, pixel animation and live VJing workshop. Prepare for an epileptic onslaught of bright colours and moving shapes!

4:00 FINAL STAGE: SONGCRAFTING
    Song Composition with Rob Monster!Monster!
    Putting it all together; making actual tunes from beginning to end, the finer and cruder points of song composition when working with console chip sound sources and 8-bit audio.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'd be interested in that Gameboy chiptune workshop. Still haven't really done anything with my own modded GB. Cheers for the heads up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Still waiting for my modded GBs, but have been playing a bit with LSDJ on another GB and wouldn't mind some pointers. Will drop an email, will have to make sure I can be free then first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Oh dear jaysus I would love to go to this.

I'll take the day off work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 a96e

Thanks for the interest people! Hopefully the event being on a Thursday isn't too awkward for anyone, and we'll see y'all on the 21st.

Any queries, or to book a place, just drop a line to the email address mentioned above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If I'm off work, I'm there.

I'm on an Anamanaguchi binge at the moment so am considering a modded Gameboy synth of my own :)

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Anamanaguchi are great! As far as I know they use a modded NES for all those bleeps and bloops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,755 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

o1s1n wrote: »
    Anamanaguchi are great! As far as I know they use a modded NES for all those bleeps and bloops.

I discovered them through the Scott Pilgrim game OST, and have picked up much of their other stuff since. The free singles on their website at the moment are great, especially My Skateboard Will Go On :)

Master of the Universe

The album Power Supply is brilliant. It's a lot better than their newer one. I absolutely love the track Fast Turtle.

Ever hear of Usk? You should check out Picopicodisco. It's 100% chiptune though, no guitars or anything like Anamanaguchi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 a96e

If you're into artists like Anamanaguchi, that fuse "live band" instrumentation, guitars etc, with chiptune sounds, then you might wanna check out Chromelodeon, and of course The J. Arthur Keenes Band. And maybe Desert Planet too, though they veer towards the cheesier end of things...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I'd love to go to this

I have thursday off so I might just head up and bring a sega megadrive

anyone else here going to this?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Coincidentally I have the same week off work. Was planning on going to London or Glasgow, but the way things are going I think I'll be staying home.

Anyway I've had that chiptune modded gameboy packed away too long. It needs to come back out again.

So yeah, if you're up for going I'd love someone to head along with. If anyone else wants to too, we can get a few.

Well I'm 100% going to this so anyone who needs a buddy for the day let me know.

Wont be able to go to the after party though, work at 8 on friday morning :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

o1s1n wrote: »
    Fast Turtle.

Best song.

Would love to go to this but I've got college v:(v

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Anamanaguchi use Gameboys as well as the NES afaik. Favourite chiptune artist at the moment by miles is IAYD. His albums are free to download and sound amazingly heavy considering he exclusively uses LSDJ (I think).

Anamanaguchi put a new single (Mess) up on their site yesterday, one of the best of the free ones.

And finally: my two modded gameboys are shipping this week! :D

Master of the Universe

I broke out my modded gameboy last night to make sure everything was still working. The backlight kept dimming and switching off. But the machine was still running. Oh o!

Plugged it into the wall and it worked grand. Seems I need to get some new batteries. Phew!

I was looking for ways to mod my MD for this, pretty cool stuff.

Thats means another megadrive must be gotten. and i need 1 more to paint.

So 2 megadrives for jack burton please someone!

Master of the Universe

I thought about that myself. The Nomad would be great as it's a handheld, so you could use it similarly to the Gameboy. Plus you'd have all those unique mad metallicy Megadrive sounds.

However, Gameboy chiptunes are made with tracker programs like LSDJ. There's nothing like that for the Megadrive (how I wish there was!).If you want to make music with that, you'd have to circuit bend it. It would be more like an instrument rather that a mini sound studio if you get me. You'd need to rig some recording device up to it.

Oh yeah its not easy at all do it! I must really take a good look to see what people have done with MDs.

I'll prob get a modded gameboy aswell soon enough

Master of the Universe

You don't even need a modded gameboy to play about with LSDJ. You can get a gameboy flash card and put LSDJ on it. You can even use it on a DS via an r4 card. The mod just gives you a good backlight, pro sound out and other fancy bits that make it into a studio quality device.

As for the MD, there really hasn't been much done with them other than a few circuit bends. I scoured the internet looking. Thought someone might even have ported LSDJ over to it to use with a tototek flash cart or something. Nothing though :(

Ah ****e.

Thanks for the info on the gameboy because I have an DS with R4 so i can work away on that for a bit and play around!

• Advertisement

So shall be attending this tomorrow! Anyone else definitely coming along, should be a lark!

Yeah I'll be there, Where exaclty is the place in temple bar?

Master of the Universe

Why did I think this was next week? I'm working tomorrow :(

Yeah I'll be there, Where exaclty is the place in temple bar?

It's way up near the end. If you keep walking up Essex Street, it's on the corner of Exchange Street. It's a fair bit up, past the Porterhouse etc... so just keep walking. If you're coming via the main square in temple bar, it will be on a corner to your left.

o1s1n, what time you working til? There's always the post event pub stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

I'm doing some video-editing stuff around there till about 6.30/7pm; anyone going to be around?

Arses, didn't realise you had to reserve a spot :(

Sent an email now, hopefully there'll still be places!

Master of the Universe

o1s1n, what time you working til? There's always the post event pub stuff!

I'll be finished work at quarter to five. Be in town for about twenty passed.
    Post event pub stuff does interesting! I'd be up for that.

Will be there for the day :)

Hopefully see some of you around!

Had to work until 12 this morning :( Only found out last night

Since the bus takes 3 hours to get to dublin I had to sit this one out

• Advertisement

Here now, it's good stuff!

Probably won't be at the gig later though, pretty wrecked. Glad to get a bit of a crash course on the scene though!

Advertisement