Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonathan Franzen - Freedom

Options
  • 05-10-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

Just started reading this over the weekend and then received the following email this evening from Amazon:
    We have been informed about a recall on this item.

Publisher Harper Collins has recalled this title because the first edition of "Freedom" does not reflect the author's final corrected version of the novel.

Harper Collins would like to replace any first edition copies that have been bought, with an updated edition as soon as it is available. Please contact Harper Collins freephone number (0800 542 0677 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting**************0800 542 0677******end_of_the_skype_highlighting) to arrange this.

Please visit the link below for more information:
    http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/News_and_Events/News/Pages/JonathanFranzen-Freedom.aspx

If you purchased this product as a gift for someone, please notify the recipient and provide them with this information.

We regret the inconvenience this recall has caused you.

We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Warmest regards,

Customer Service Department
    Amazon.co.uk

Anyone know what the differences are? I presume I'll have to contact Harper Collins in the UK for my replacement too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Do NOT SEND THAT BACK.

Keep it. It could be valuable one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

As far as I understand it, the errors that crept in are just silly things - typographical errors, spelling mistakes, things like that. Nothing that is likely to affect your enjoyment of the book in any major way. And yeah, like Metrovelvet says, unless a misplaced hyphen sends you into a blinding rage, it might be worth holding onto your copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

These days publishers send PDF files to the printers. It looks like the typesetter didn't send the printers the final PDF version of the manuscript. That isn't the job of the typesetter though so I'm sure the production controller in Harper Collins probably isn't having a good week! The copy you have probably won't be worth anything but I'd keep it just to have it. Link here an article in Irish Publishing News if you're interested:

http://irishpublishingnews.com/2010/10/02/jonathan-franzens-book-freedom-suffers-uk-recall/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Make sure you keep it, it will be a literary curiosity in years to come and it might be worth a few bob for your grandchildren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

I heard that he calls Oprah a bitch in it but now that he is going to be on her show he retracts that statement.
    The new book says that Oprah is rich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

buck65 wrote: »
    I heard that he calls Oprah a bitch in it but now that he is going to be on her show he retracts that statement.
    The new book says that Oprah is rich.

:D

I doubt it'll be worth much in years to come as there's 80,000 copies of the hardback in circulation apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

On the Review Show on BBC, they played the clip where he spotted the errors. According to Franzen, the errors make a difference to the novel. As for them being valuable some day, there are far too many printed for them to be considered a rarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Polynomial

Rereading "The Corrections". Great. How about "Freedom" - good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Absolutely loved The Corrections, I'm going to treat myself to Freedom at Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Just read this, very accessible, compelling, hard to stop reading, subtle, well researched, basically a good story well told. Contemporary America seen through the eyes of well drawn, interesting characters. What's not to like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

Found it a bit self-reverential. Did not enjoy it as much as the Corrections. Bits of great writing, but overall not the greatest

Advertisement