Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

led 12v mr16 traffo

Options
  • 05-10-2010 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Just quick question
    3 watt led 12v mr 16 bulbs , is there a certain transformer to use or how many or how little bulbs per transformer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It would depend on the load rating of the transformer

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

traffo is 20/60 w rated i wired 8 of them on the one traffo = 3 watt by 8 = 24watt they worked but flickered for half hour and then traffo failed , so i need a specific driver for 12v led gu10s?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

traffo is 20/60 w rated i wired 8 of them on the one traffo = 3 watt by 8 = 24watt they worked but flickered for half hour and then traffo failed , so i need a specific driver for 12v led gu10s?

They will work with some transformers, but the driver is better for 12v ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Lamps and Lighting

Hi Grousedog,

Grousedog,

Replacement led lamps do nto require a driver. drivers are for professional led products.

Msot of the repalcement led lamps rated at 12v are designed to work on standard electronic transformers. However some may require the old wire wound transformers, very hard to get now.

Try a new transformer if that fails source a dedicated led downlighter.

Paul

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

afaik these mr16 leds have a rectifier

you just parallel them up- to meet the electronic trafos minimum load

don't know much as i stick with the gu10 for simplicity

There is another reason why they did not work on a electronic transformer.

YOu need to meet the minimum load on the transformer, which is normally 20W.

Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

well having 8 x 3 watt leds on the 20 watt transformer does`t seem like it would work for long.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    well having 8 x 3 watt leds on the 20 watt transformer does`t seem like it would work for long.

60va trafo

20va minimum load i'm assuming here

so he should be above minimum load

you can always stick a 20w halogen on for test purposes to bring the load up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    60va trafo

20va minimum load i'm assuming here

O yea your right, i see the 20/60 bit now, dont know what i was looking at, it needs the 20watt load to operate the traffo, maybe the 8 lights did`t quite make 20 watts then even theough they are supposed to be 3 watts each, or was just too close to the minimum.

• Advertisement

trafo may not have failed they usually have overload/SC protection and thermal even

prob no output voltage showing without 20watt load

Advertisement