Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

siam warriors and the boxingclinic bring wanderlei silva to cork

• 05-10-2010 11:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭

On Thursday the 14th of October Wanderlei Silva will be at the BoxingClinic in Cork. this is a great opportunity to meet a legend of MMA and have your picture taken with him.
    Priced at only €40, this is not to be missed. call 021-4840627 to book your place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

On Thursday the 14th of October Wanderlei Silva will be at the BoxingClinic in Cork. this is a great opportunity to meet a legend of MMA and have your picture taken with him.
    Priced at only €40, this is not to be missed. call 021-4840627 to book your place.

Is this a Training Session aswell :D CanT Wait :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    Is this a Training Session aswell :D CanT Wait :D:D:D:D:D:D

No, it's a meet and greet as he will only be there for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

No-one else think that it's outrageous paying €40 just to que up and get a picture? I'm as big a Wandy fan as anyone but I dunno about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭theboxingclinic

dont go then. we are charging what we have calculated to break even just as we did with chuck liddell. if we do break even ill be happy, if nogt ill be as happy as well as its great to get wanderlei to cork.
    there was the same negative comments for ifs ni and the gym in dublin. its ridicilous!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I'm going. When else will I get a chance to meet Wanderlei Silva in my hometown? From talking to the guys in the gym I believe it's near to selling out already, so the demand is there? It's great that gyms like Siam Warriors and the Boxing Clinic are doing this, as it raises the profile of MMA in the city. Can't wait to meet the dude.

• Advertisement

wanderlei silva update, meet and greet will be between 5.30 and 6.30. hi will de performing a demo from 6.30 to 7.30.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

dont go then.

Thats a fair comment.
    there was the same negative comments for ifs ni and the gym in dublin. its ridicilous!!

People have the right to comment that they feel its expensive for what you get, simple thing is if there is a demand then that justifies the cost-but people stating that they feel it's too expensive is not negative, 40 euro is a lot of money for some people and considering i met Evander Holyfield for the cost of buying his book, about 20 euro and it was a great book, got a photo and to ask him a question too..

Hope it goes well for you but lay off the defensive stance to people asking questions or saying there opinions..

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Pontificatus

From my perspective i would pay more than €40 to meet someone i considered a legend, but the only person who fits that description for me would be Ali. I cant think of anyone else alive i would pay to meet.

Two genuine questions:

Do the people who went to the other Wanderlei Silva or Chuck Liddel 'meets and greets' think that they got their moneys worth? Can that 'value' be quanitified

Same question to the people who put on the 'meet and greets'. Did you get value for your time and effort?

Two genuine questions:

Do the people who went to the other Wanderlei Silva or Chuck Liddel 'meets and greets' think that they got their moneys worth? Can that 'value' be quanitified

Same question to the people who put on the 'meet and greets'. Did you get value for your time and effort?

Two great questions there, the only meet and greet I was at was the UFC 100 fan expo and I paid $500 for the two day ticket and it was worth every cent. As for paying 40 euro to meet, get a picture and something signed by Wanderlei my answer is yes I would, but that's just me and no two people are the same. I think it's great that Silva is doing and Irish tour and a lot of Irish MMA clubs have booked him. The UK has been doing this for years and it's about time Ireland are doing the same. I hope it goes well for ALL the clubs and I hope all the people that pay there money are happy with what they get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Just thought I'd add that Irish MMA Legend Paul Cowzer will be coming to my gym next week, price 1 bag of tesco's donuts. The cost for shaking his hand is a weird rash.

If you're interested let me know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

Just thought I'd add that Irish MMA Legend Paul Cowzer will be coming to my gym next week, price 1 bag of tesco's donuts. The cost for shaking his hand is a weird rash.

If you're interested let me know.

sugar or jam?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Chris Dowling

Nice one guys ,pity can't make it down that date but well done on bringing the big names over again, hopefully next time you can try arrange training sessions if so I'll have a load down to you ! Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

I think its great that clubs in Ireland are now able to attract such big name fighters here and it is definately a positive for Irish MMA.

Although it is a persons own choice whether they want to go or not, I feel that €40 for a photo and autograph is quite expensive. It was $50 for a 2 day expo ticket in Boston where you could meet Wanderlei, Chuck Liddell, Couture, A.Silva, Forrest, Tito, Shogun, Tito, Rashad etc for free and it was a great experience.

It could be that it is Wanderlei's associates but those prices are quite expensive for a 1/2 minute interaction.

Hopefully everybody who goes gets their money worth and enjoys it.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    I think its great that clubs in Ireland are now able to attract such big name fighters here and it is definately a positive for Irish MMA.

Money attracts them, not clubs in Ireland, lets be honest here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Ya boxing clinic, who do ya think you are? bringing MMA legends to this

country and paying them aswel!!! goddamn you, thats the last thing we

need.:rolleyes:

cowzerp wrote: »
    Money attracts them, not clubs in Ireland, lets be honest here.

Yes it is the money that attracts them but I still think it's good news for the Irish fans and Irish MMA.

When a Hollywood star comes to Ireland to speak at a dinner is that good news for irish cinema?

Pay the money if you want to it's none of my concern but let's get real.

When a Hollywood star comes to Ireland to speak at a dinner is that good news for irish cinema?

Pay the money if you want to it's none of my concern but let's get real.

I don't know why some people don't see the good in this. It's a one of the best MMA fighters in the world (ok maybe not now) but he is still a big name. I think it shows how big MMA is in this country that there is a demand for things like this. But as you say it's none of your concern and people can spend there money on what ever they want.

I don't know why some people don't see the good in this. It's a one of the best MMA fighters in the world (ok maybe not now) but he is still a big name. I think it shows how big MMA is in this country that there is a demand for things like this. But as you say it's none of your concern and people can spend there money on what ever they want.
    No like I said before, Wandy is awesome and I would count him as one of the reasons I really wanted to start MMA after seeing him in Pride. But I think people over-hyping this and events like it is what's irritating a lot of people.

Dan Henderson trained at Ryano and Kokoro when he was here, no one batted an eyelid. I had the guy who trains Joe Lauzon here last week, no one batted an eyelid. I have the guy who trains Allesio, Torres, Maia, Griffin, Belfort, Mir over every year and no one bats an eyelid. NG have one of the MMA pioneers (Chris Brennan) over once a year, no one bats an eyelid. SBG have had numerous guys come train with them over the years (don't have a list) from the UFC, no one bats an eyelid.

So when people claim that Irish MMA is suddenly moving forward because a celebrity was paid to come and visit, yes, that irritates me. Call it what you will, but please don't elevate having a seminar out there as some sort of game changer. Or try to claim that Irish MMA has taken some sort of giant leap forward because a fighter has come to town. Fighters, and more particularly their coaches, have been coming to town for over a decade.

On another note, I was at UL about 10 years ago when Grandmaster Hee Il Cho was there and 250 people showed up to have him train them, which was the most I've ever heard about at a seminar. This is nothing new.

No like I said before, Wandy is awesome and I would count him as one of the reasons I really wanted to start MMA after seeing him in Pride. But I think people over-hyping this and events like it is what's irritating a lot of people.

Dan Henderson trained at Ryano and Kokoro when he was here, no one batted an eyelid. I had the guy who trains Joe Lauzon here last week, no one batted an eyelid. I have the guy who trains Allesio, Torres, Maia, Griffin, Belfort, Mir over every year and no one bats an eyelid. NG have one of the MMA pioneers (Chris Brennan) over once a year, no one bats an eyelid. SBG have had numerous guys come train with them over the years (don't have a list) from the UFC, no one bats an eyelid.

So when people claim that Irish MMA is suddenly moving forward because a celebrity was paid to come and visit, yes, that irritates me. Call it what you will, but please don't elevate having a seminar out there as some sort of game changer. Or try to claim that Irish MMA has taken some sort of giant leap forward because a fighter has come to town. Fighters, and more particularly their coaches, have been coming to town for over a decade.

On another note, I was at UL about 10 years ago when Grandmaster Hee Il Cho was there and 250 people showed up to have him train them, which was the most I've ever heard about at a seminar. This is nothing new.

Never knew all that and I can see why it would irritate you. Can I ask what you do to promote the seminars you have at your gym or is it just for your gym members? Sorry to go off topic.... @Barry, if you would like to PM me your reply that would be fine.

• Advertisement

Never knew all that and I can see why it would irritate you. Can I ask what you do to promote the seminars you have at your gym or is it just for your gym members? Sorry to go off topic.... @Barry, if you would like to PM me your reply that would be fine.
    Well it is off topic I suppose but I'll be quick.

The ones I put on are training seminars as opposed to meet and greets or "celebrity" seminars like this Wand one is. So I promote them very little as the actual MMA and BJJ training community is quite small so all I really have to do is text a few lads. I think there's merit to both, though personally I'd prefer to train and learn than go to shake a hand and get a photo. I have no problem with people bringing guys like Wanderlai over and charging whatever they want for it. If they sell then obviously there's a market. My problem is with people claiming that this is great for Irish MMA, when in fact this is very insignificant for Irish MMA, in the same way that having Tom Cruise on the Late Late Show does nothing for Irish cinema.

The ones I put on are training seminars as opposed to meet and greets or "celebrity" seminars like this Wand one is. So I promote them very little as the actual MMA and BJJ training community is quite small so all I really have to do is text a few lads. I think there's merit to both, though personally I'd prefer to train and learn than go to shake a hand and get a photo. I have no problem with people bringing guys like Wanderlai over and charging whatever they want for it. If they sell then obviously there's a market. My problem is with people claiming that this is great for Irish MMA, when in fact this is very insignificant for Irish MMA, in the same way that having Tom Cruise on the Late Late Show does nothing for Irish cinema.

No, but Tom Cruise going to meet and talk to students of cinema would

have an affect, it aint gona hurt anyway.

fedor.2. wrote: »
    No, but Tom Cruise going to meet and talk to students of cinema would.

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭TheProdigy

If 200 people, for example, go to meet Wanderlei Silva that like MMA but do not train in it. If 1 of that 200 are inspired by Wandy and decide to start training as a result of this then it is a positive for Irish MMA as it is growing.

cowzerp wrote: »
    How?

id imagine it would have something to do with his involvement in the movie

business and they having an interest in that.

TheProdigy wrote: »
    If 200 people, for example, go to meet Wanderlei Silva that like MMA but do not train in it. If 1 of that 200 are inspired by Wandy and decide to start training as a result of this then it is a positive for Irish MMA as it is growing.

The same can be said about anything, im sure people going to try Barrys class and enjoying it is going to get more people inolved in Irish MMA than that, watching him fight may make people interested in joining clubs though..
    id imagine it would have something to do with his involvement in the movie

business and they having an interest in that.

That does not explain how it would help irish cinema.

Ive asked over in the film forum and they said it would be of great help to the

Irish film industry, so i dont know what to add to that.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

My problem is with people claiming that this is great for Irish MMA, when in fact this is very insignificant for Irish MMA, in the same way that having Tom Cruise on the Late Late Show does nothing for Irish cinema.
    People say all kinds of things on the internet it doesnt mean too much, I see where your coming from though.

I think its the new MMA fans who are only starting their training (and probably wouldnt recognise alot of the people youve mentioned ) are more likely to get excited by this type of thing (and hardcore fans of the guys doing the seminars too of course) and gladly spend whatever the price is.

At the end of the day if people have fun at these events and dont mind paying for them i dont see what the problem is.

Niall0 wrote: »
    At the end of the day if people have fun at these events and dont mind paying for them i dont see what the problem is.
    I agree there. I have nothing against Wandy's visit or the people who go to see him. But some of the ****e that's being spouted...

• Advertisement

like what?

Just that it's great that ireland can attract Wandy etc. Ireland can attract him in the same way that I can attract people to cut my lawn. I hold out a tenner.

Listen fair play for getting him over and I hope it has been a successful venture. Legendary fighter.

Miaow. it would wanna be a small lawn.

My problem is with people claiming that this is great for Irish MMA, when in fact this is very insignificant for Irish MMA, in the same way that having Tom Cruise on the Late Late Show does nothing for Irish cinema.

Maybe I should of said it's great for the MMA fans in Ireland.

Miaow. it would wanna be a small lawn.
    It is. The real expense is for the guy who cleans the pool and the illegal immigrants I hire to pluck the apples from the orchard.
    Maybe I should of said it's great for the MMA fans in Ireland.
    Possibly. In your defence you're not to know how much people involved in MMA here train with top guys since they don't exactly broadcast it.

Advertisement