Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Drive Home

• 05-10-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭

Had an interesting drive home, there was a bit a strange noise coming from the front of the bike as i was driving home, suddenly bang, clunk, clunk *shakey front end*, oh crap...

front wheel bearing had literally exploded out the side, luckily got the bike home safely though..fun times!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Yikes. Lucky lad.

I got a lecture from my mechanic about mine the other day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Jesus man ya wanna watch that stuff, that could've ended a lot worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

yeah it was a bit scary alright, never though to check them, but i guess thats what happens on a really vibratey bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

I am going to ask the newbie question then - how do you check your bearings?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

jayok wrote: »
    I am going to ask the newbie question then - how do you check your bearings?

lift whichever wheel off the ground and try to shake the wheel, if the bearing is one the way out you'll have loads of movement, you shouldn't have any apart from the normal rotation of the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Good to know - thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

hah, you'll get it back from the mech and it'll be smooth as silk - "yea mate, loadsa bearings on the way out, gave it a good overhaul, dunno how you didnt notice, was shaking like a bastard"

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

I check mine every time I take a wheel off for new tyres. If you have a mechanic change your tyres for you then they should be doing the same. Ask them to do it.

Suzuki riders should check theirs every 5 minutes as a rule. For some reason, Suzuki only use cheap bearings that are sealed on the outside only, and will rust to crap within the first 30k of owning the bike. I know this cause I keep buying Suzuki's....rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

bigSuzi12 wrote: »
    I check mine every time I take a wheel off for new tyres. If you have a mechanic change your tyres for you then they should be doing the same. Ask them to do it.

Suzuki riders should check theirs every 5 minutes as a rule. For some reason, Suzuki only use cheap bearings that are sealed on the outside only, and will rust to crap within the first 30k of owning the bike. I know this cause I keep buying Suzuki's....rant over.

Good to know, I must check mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bigSuzi12

madrab wrote: »
    Had an interesting drive home, there was a bit a strange noise coming from the front of the bike as i was driving home, suddenly bang, clunk, clunk *shakey front end*, oh crap...

front wheel bearing had literally exploded out the side, luckily got the bike home safely though..fun times!

Just a bit of advice: When installing new bearings make sure you/shop use a bearing puller. New bearings must not be driven in with a large socket. Again, I know this from (bad) experience.
    A bearing puller must be used so as to ensure that both inner and outer bearing races are in-line when the wheel is tightened. Might vary from bike-to-bike but this is particularly true on Suzuki Hayabusas. Make sure they use a bearing puller or else you will be changing them again in 5000 miles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement