Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert holiday 2011

• 05-10-2010 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Don't know am I allowed post this here but anyway...

Ideas for good, hot, cheap places for a big (20ish) group of friends (lads and girls) for a 1/2 week leaving cert holiday?

Also if ye know of any places doing good deals..?

General advice?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    Don't know am I allowed post this here but anyway...

Ideas for good, hot, cheap places for a big (20ish) group of friends (lads and girls) for a 1/2 week leaving cert holiday?

Also if ye know of any places doing good deals..?

General advice?

Thanks a million

After my Leaving Cert 10 of us went to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria. A brilliant spot for leaving cert 'holidayers' The Nightlife is top class and it is the cheapest resort in Europe by a long distance.

When we were going we booked the flights and accomodation seperately.

Looking now flights are very cheap for the high season for 2011. Best to book before January, before Christmas if you can. The prices for return flights around the 1st July- 15 July (High Season ) is now 250 euro. We booked in January and paid 400 euro. see the difference? Book early to get much cheper deals. (Dublin-Bourgas)

PM me if you want more info on the apartments we stayed in which I would highyl recommend and for info on the transfers we used once in Sunny beach.

If you want some general info, check out my thread on Sunny Beach here--->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056049140

Sunny Beach is cheaper than anywhere else and with a large range of clubs and bars to cater for everyone's taste. Also a lot of the bars play GAA matches live if you'll be needing that.

I cannot emphasise how much you will save by booking early. 150-200 euro.

PM if you want any more info on Sunny Beach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 --hughesy--

Soo where does everyone want to go and why?

also people who have already been on one, got any advice on places to go, how much, etc

and before anyone says its a bit early for that, I've been talking to friends in other schools and they have already booked theres :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

double GG wrote: »
    After my Leaving Cert 10 of us went to Sunny Beach in Bulgaria. A brilliant spot for leaving cert 'holidayers' The Nightlife is top class and it is the cheapest resort in Europe by a long distance.

When we were going we booked the flights and accomodation seperately.

Looking now flights are very cheap for the high season for 2011. Best to book before January, before Christmas if you can. The prices for return flights around the 1st July- 15 July (High Season ) is now 250 euro. We booked in January and paid 400 euro. see the difference? Book early to get much cheper deals. (Dublin-Bourgas)

PM me if you want more info on the apartments we stayed in which I would highyl recommend and for info on the transfers we used once in Sunny beach.

If you want some general info, check out my thread on Sunny Beach here--->http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056049140

Sunny Beach is cheaper than anywhere else and with a large range of clubs and bars to cater for everyone's taste. Also a lot of the bars play GAA matches live if you'll be needing that.

I cannot emphasise how much you will save by booking early. 150-200 euro.

PM if you want any more info on Sunny Beach.

Was in Sunny Beach with the family a few years ago and thought it was amazing for the cost... But was unsure of the nightlife etc (was too young at the time to care..!)

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Firstly I want to check out the west of Ireland for a couple of days. other than that some places that cross my mind are Poland. Prague and somewhere in Germany. Or I might just head to Spain for a lazy sun holiday :D
    I cant wait, I love traveling and want to travel to many places.

Im probably being a bit far fetched but I have always wanted to back pack Japan. Im really tempted to, but as I'll only be 19 maybe I should wait until I'm older. ;)

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Firstly I want to check out the west of Ireland for a couple of days. other than that some places that cross my mind are Poland. Prague and somewhere in Germany. Or I might just head to Spain for a lazy sun holiday :D
    I cant wait, I love traveling and want to travel to many places.

Im probably being a bit far fetched but I have always wanted to back pack Japan. Im really tempted to, but as I'll only be 19 maybe I should wait until I'm older. ;)

If you've got the money! I say why not :) Always brilliant to get away for a while! I spent the whole summer in Bulgaria in Sunny Beach and it was the most amazing experience ever! :D If you've got the money go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Rabbitandcavy

Don't think I am going anywhere tbh. I'm going to London with school but think that's it. I am thinking of saving up and going to New York if I can get at least one person interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭enaeknala1

Don't think I am going anywhere tbh. I'm going to London with school but think that's it. I am thinking of saving up and going to New York if I can get at least one person interested!

Done my leaving cert last yr and repeating dis yr but went to New york last August after da leaving..! Was absolutely savage...! Cant wait to go bak would def advise it if ya can..!

London and New York are both amazing places! I wouldnt go back to NYC or America until I am 21 though, Im sure you can guess why :D
    But if thats not a concern of yours go for it! Its amazing!

London and New York are both amazing places! I wouldnt go back to NYC or America until I am 21 though, Im sure you can guess why :D
    But if thats not a concern of yours go for it! Its amazing!

I was jus after turning 18 and went out a few nights alri n was grand cause was staying wit my aunt so all was good..! But evan night life aside i genuinely had the time of my life..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

enaeknala1 wrote: »
    Done my leaving cert last yr and repeating dis yr but went to New york last August after da leaving..! Was absolutely savage...! Cant wait to go bak would def advise it if ya can..!
    Hi enaeknala1, welcome to Boards. :)

Please note that textspeak is not welcome on this site.

• Advertisement

Hi enaeknala1, welcome to Boards. :)

Please note that textspeak is not welcome on this site.

Apologies, forget myself when using my Phone. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Tara_Rxxx

Cant wait till after the leaving, A holiday will be needed badly!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Don't have the money to go out foreign. Would rather book a house for race week in Galway or somewhere else in Ireland.. Any ideas??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Mahogany

Me and about 8 mates plan to go to Zakynthos, Greece.

Would really appreciate budget estimates, travel advice etc.

clonadlad wrote: »
    Don't have the money to go out foreign. Would rather book a house for race week in Galway or somewhere else in Ireland.. Any ideas??
    Tbh, you'll probably end up spending as much if not more. esp. if you opt for Race Week.
    Mahogany wrote: »

Laganas is the liveliest resort, prob. most suited to an LC holiday crew. Been a while since I was there, but costs shouldn't be too bad if you use a bit of cop-on. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Interrailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

Tbh, you'll probably end up spending as much if not more. esp. if you opt for Race Week.
    It can hardly be the same amount of money? The flights alone to a foreign country would be the same as a house for a week wouldn't it? We dont care about the house at all.. Could be about 10 of us going maybe! Don't Corrib Village do summer rentals or something??

Mahogany wrote: »

A couple of my mates had planned to go to Hersonnosis (spelling) in Greece and it was 779 euro for 2 weeks. They were looking at prices and they were pretty much the same as home. They opted against Greece as it was too expensive to go there and over there.

They went to Gran Canaria instead.

Greece is probably one of the most expensive 'Leaving Cert Holiday countries' IMO.

If you want to try book flights and accomodation seperately. We did and we saved over 200 euro on a package holiday, it may be a little more work but the prices don't lie.

clonadlad wrote: »
    It can hardly be the same amount of money? The flights alone to a foreign country would be the same as a house for a week wouldn't it? We dont care about the house at all.. Could be about 10 of us going maybe! Don't Corrib Village do summer rentals or something??
    Well, certainly Race Week prices will be well above norm, and where you tend to get far better value abroad is on food / drink.
    double GG wrote: »
    A couple of my mates had planned to go to Hersonnosis (spelling) in Greece and it was 779 euro for 2 weeks. They were looking at prices and they were pretty much the same as home. They opted against Greece as it was too expensive to go there and over there.

They went to Gran Canaria instead.

Greece is probably one of the most expensive 'Leaving Cert Holiday countries' IMO.

If you want to try book flights and accomodation seperately. We did and we saved over 200 euro on a package holiday, it may be a little more work but the prices don't lie.
    Hersonissos in Crete? ... definitely not one of the cheaper options (even within Crete) ... and I'm not sure it would be ideal LC hol territory either.

Crete is a much longer flight than Zakynthos so would probably work out more expensive on that basis alone.

Gran Canaria is certainly reasonable if you keep your wits about you ... the tourist traps are VERY trap-py, but lots of much more reasonable bars / places to eat. Difference can be as much as €2.50 vs €6 or €7 for say a vodka and coke (mind you, measures in most normal bars will be generous by our standards). Night clubs tend to be very expensive for drink. Be VERY skeptical of the touts.

It's certainly worth pricing flights and accom. seperately ... depending on where you're going, time of year, etc. you may make a significant saving, but not always.

It's certainly worth pricing flights and accom. seperately ... depending on where you're going, time of year, etc. you may make a significant saving, but not always.

Ah generally you can make a saving. It also allows you to choose your own accommodation which can be beneficial. My friends went on a holiday to Gran Canaria and were in an apartment over 2km from anything after booking a package holiday. We on the other hand did around 30 mins of researching on flights and where exactly the centre was in Sunny Beach and made sure we were within walking distance of the centre.

Booking before the new year would be the best way to get a substansial saving if booking flights and accomodation seperately.

Also, when going on holiday, try to sort out and book your transfers to and from the airport. It will be much cheaper than a taxi as taxi's from the airport for tourists generally costs quite a bit. We got transfers from the Airport in Burgas to our apartment door in Sunny Beach for 6 euro each way. That's a 30km trip. They greet you at the airport and the drivers were very nice and had great English. A Taxi from the airport to Sunny Beach was priced at 60 euro for 3 people.

Do some research before booking separately however.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Anyone any plans for after the leaving cert? like as in holidays?
    does anyone know of any good cheap places that are popular?
    i need a break from looking through all the threads on subjects and projects! :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

Anyone any plans for after the leaving cert? like as in holidays?
    does anyone know of any good cheap places that are popular?
    i need a break from looking through all the threads on subjects and projects! :S

Three possible plans for after leaving cert::pac:

1)Go to Oxegen:) ,little travel costs,also requires very little organising compared to a foreign holiday & would require very little persuasion of parents!!! COST = €224.50 for ticket + probably €80 expenses (booze & food)

2)Go to Lanzarote Or Ibiza with a few lads:p.Requires alot of planning though and will take up time this year I don't really have,Also under 18's cannot legally enter a financial contract to rent a room in a holiday resort!!! COST =169.13 for flights + €124.50 for hotel + €150 expenses
    TOTAL €443.63 possibly more!!!

3)Do nothing:(,get a job,save money for college, get nicer accommodation next year :D.

Anything planned yourself ?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    2)Go to Lanzarote Or Ibiza with a few lads:p.Requires alot of planning though and will take up time this year I don't really have,Also under 18's cannot legally enter a financial contract to rent a room in a holiday resort!!! COST =169.13 for flights + €124.50 for hotel + €150 expenses
    TOTAL €443.63 possibly more!!!

Look into package holidays instead... The hotel and flights would work out the same for a cheap place.. Either way you'll need more than €150 expenses for a lads weekend..! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Sleep for a few weeks and head to England for a week with some friends. I think your best bet is to go somewhere that mega popular, so that it won't be crawling with other people who just finished the LC. I mean, I'll have just finished school. I don't want to be surrounded by people the in the same situation.

That and hopefully get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Probably oxegen and then a couple of music festivals on the continent. Work in factory and sort out college accomidation and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

I want to go to oxegen :D
    But my friends want to go away -_-

What oh what shall i do? :(

marko93 wrote: »
    I want to go to oxegen :D
    But my friends want to go away -_-

What oh what shall i do? :(

Abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 gor93

santa ponsa ha

5 of us have already booked the flights for 2 weeks in poland. 10 days in Zakopane. The rest in Przemysl, traveling a bit in between too. eg day trips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

5 of us have already booked the flights for 2 weeks in poland. 10 days in Zakopane. The rest in Przemysl, traveling a bit in between too. eg day trips.
    Paddy? no no reads profile - Roger.

14 days now that I count 7th - 21st

Advertisement