Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony W995 or iPhone 4

Options
  • 05-10-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Which one should I choose?

My main use would be browsing web pages via the WiFi. Which phone is better for that task?

Will also want to use Bluetooth as I don't want to load up bulky software to communicate with my laptop -> USB.

I will want to transfer MP3 files from my laptop to my phone to listen to music on the go.

Cheers,
    Danno.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SE have crappy mass storage software and browsing via wifi on the W995 is pretty unimpressive. Comparing it against the iPhone 4 is like comparing apples and oranges....I wouldn't even give the W995 a seconds consideration for your intended use.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If a good camera was your main requisite, then the w995 would be a better pick. The browser is ok but very very basic compared to an iPhone or an Android. MP3 functionality on w995 is faultless as it uses Sony walkman software but to be honest, most high end phones' media players do the same job. Going by your requirements, the w995 would be the weaker choice

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cheers lads for the quick replies! Seems like the iPhone 4 is the way to go so... I guess I can keep my W595 for MP3 use if worst comes to worst,. :D

Glad to help. Can I ask why your search is limited to those 2 phones? They are 2 fairly different phones tbh. Something like the HTC desire would be more comparable (its better than the iPhone imo - I'm posting from one now :D) as it has an as good, if not better, browsing experience as well as a selection of media player apps combined with upgradable memory for all your MP3s

Hmmm, I am with 3. They are offering me phone upgrade. I just seen now that the iPhone will cost €299 whilst the W995 is €79 on my current plan (€25 per month - Videotalk 200)

HTC desire is €229.

Feck, these nice phones are not cheap! Wonder if I changed network could I get a nice phone cheaper. I am a light user of mobiles, 200 to 250 minutes talk per month and roughly 20 or so texts.

My search for a new phone broadens.

Have not heard of HTC before, are their phones good?

• Advertisement

Widely seen as possibly the best manufacturer in the market at the moment. Combined with the android OS their popularity is really beginning to gather pace.

You will get a desire a lot cheaper if you shop around, a low plan I'd say you could probably get one for €100-€170ish. There's a new one out in the coming weeks so I'd reckon even this price will come down (I'm not really feeling the new desire HD, a bit too big)

HTC desire, phone for €149, emobile €19 per month on a 12 month contract seems attractive if i can cut down my minutes usage which could be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

I have the W995 - least impressive is the camera - I was getting better pictures from my N97 which was 5 megapixel compared to 8 on the SE.

It didn't wear well under normal use (Im careful how I treat my phones) the clip at the back kept getting caught in things.

All in all I would see no contest - Iphone 4 - my husband has one and its a lovely piece of work.

Kilsmum:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

bluetooth won't work between iphone and any product that's not apple, for some bizarre reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have the SE W995 and wouldn't fault it. The 8MP camera is superb and is all I need for traveling snap shots, the MP3 navigation is professional and easy to use.

As for internet browsing I wouldn't use any phone as computers are specifically made for that purpose. I also wouldn't go near the IPhone as touch screens in general are horrible. :)

• Advertisement

I have the SE W995 and wouldn't fault it. The 8MP camera is superb and is all I need for traveling snap shots, the MP3 navigation is professional and easy to use.

this would be my opinion of the w995 too, i've had one for the over a year now kept as a back up phone - i discovered android just after i got it. i've had sony ericssons from the w800i up to then.

i used it last week when i was away for holiday snaps; worked a treat. i also use it when i'm in the UK (almost every week). With opera mini as the browser it keeps my roaming bills to a minimum - only 2-3kb per boards.ie page :D

still, the OP wants a good browsing experience. the desire is hard to beat

So, I should be going down the route of the HTC desire then... thanks for the advice lads.

Advertisement