Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing my SDCard on my rooted Desire. Problems? Suggestions?

• 06-10-2010 12:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting a new SD Card for my HTC Desire. Currently using the stock SD Card.

Not too sure if it's a class II card but I ran the 'SD Card Speed Test' app. It says that it's a class II with write speeds of 3MB/s and read speeds of 4MB/s.
    Seems rather low to me.
    Since I rooted my desire a while ago, I then installed LeeDroid ROM with a theme. Partitioned my SD card to avail of the A2SD+ beforehand.
    Since doing the last part, I've noticed that my phone has been a small bit sluggish when loading pictures, opening some apps etc

So, I'm thinking about getting a new card. Can anyone here suggest some cards for me. Brand, class type etc.
    Also, the important part.

What's going to happen to my root? How easy is it to swap SD Cards.
    What problems am I likely to run into by doing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It's not recommended to use anything lower than class 4 if intending to use A2SD, this is very likely what's causing the slowdown that you're experiencing. I use a class 6 16gb with no issues. Brand of card doesn't really matter but just be mindful that you get what you pay for.

Its merely a case of powering off the phone, removing the battery and swapping the cards. Your root access will not be affected by the change of card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I have heard of some people had been experiencing problems while booting up the first time with the new card in there. Since it wont be partitioned.
    Will I have to partition the card with an ext3 partition before I put it in the phone? I did it through ROM manager the first time. Will I be able to do it through ROM manager. Is it just a case of downloading ROM manager on the first boot up, and then partitioning the card? And then pasting all the data back onto the card afterwards?
    Thanks in advance, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Sorry, I'm a bit 'old fashioned' in that I've never used Rom manager so I don't actually know the process for partitioning the SD card with it.

You will have to partition again to use A2SD on the new card.

Can you not put the new card in, power on the phone into recovery mode (hold volume down while pressing power button, then select recovery) and then partition the card and create an ext3 using whatever recovery image you have? From there just boot the phone again - it should take longer than normal to start up as the phone moves apps to the card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Thanks for the advice there. Might just end up doing it as you said. That way, I'll be removing most of the ways of fecking up my phone by putting an un-partitioned card into my phone.

p.s. Just to let you know, when you do it via Rom Manager, you ask it to partition the card, it asks you for the size of partition and swap size (i think). Click ok, it reboots automatically into recovery and then partitions the card for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭TeaServer

I changed from the Stock SD card (its a Class 2 - written on the card) to a Class 6 8GB one last weekend actually.

I probably did a very roundabout way if the above posts are true. I followed a similar process to below:

1. Full Nandroid backup
    2. Copy contents of the current SD Card to external HD (including the ext3 partition)
    3. Partition the new SD card with the same size ext3 and swap partitions as the old card.
    4. Copy the files from external HD to the respective partition on new SD card.
    5. Insert new card in phone and boot.

I used a microSd -> SD adapter and an Ubuntu Live CD to copy/partition the new SD card. Just make sure you do a backup and you can't go too badly wrong!

/T

• Advertisement
Advertisement