Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the bridge tonight

• 06-10-2010 1:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭

Just came across the bridge at 12:30 and in the middle of it were two Garda cars and an ambulance and a fire engine down outside days hotel and a few cars with people standing around,was looking like they were putting someone into the ambulance ,anybody know what was happening ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

fella was jumpin off. he took all his clothes off and threw em in. was there about 20 mintues. the gaurds grabbed him n pulled him in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

That's the second tine this has happened in the last year IIRC there was a fairly heated thread about the last one.

I'm sorry to say that I can imagine incidents along these lines being more common as the real effects of the downturn kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

ziedth wrote: »
    That's the second tine this has happened in the last year IIRC there was a fairly heated thread about the last one.

I'm sorry to say that I can imagine incidents along these lines being more common as the real effects of the downturn kick in.

"The real effects"?? WTF!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the effects of the current situation began back in September 2008 & have lingered ever since. I would be interested to hear what the so called "real effects" are going to be??

As for the incident in question I think its in bad taste to speculate on the circumstances/reasons surrounding the individuals' actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

^ Yeah exactly who knows why this person was going to jump into the river.

I seen about 5 girls in there pyjamas standing at the back of the ambulance i can can only assume they were family/friends trying to persuade the person not to jump,sad stuff all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

"The real effects"?? WTF!!! Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the effects of the current situation began back in September 2008 & have lingered ever since. I would be interested to hear what the so called "real effects" are going to be??
    In reference to September 2008 and your WTF remark, ziedth is correct in saying the real effect. Nothing happened to the average joe soap on the street on Sept 2008, everything happened at a very high level. But since then businesses for the last 2 years are struggling to get loans from banks, businesses are closing, people are been made redundant, increase in relationships breaking down, people are unable to pay mortgages, levy and tax increases, just to name a few things. The .dot bubble burst didnt after me until 1 year later back in 2000. Home insurance is now gone up because of the floods last november. Some people cant even get home insurance anymore because they have been categorised in a high risk flood spot. So if you think about it, after an major event has occured it can take 1 to 2 years before it affects the average joe soap.

I know we could go greater in depth conversation about this but that was may taking on ziedths comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

^ why thank you, that was indeed what I was saying.

First off I did not speculate on why the chap was up there I can't even imagine how you could take that I did.

Second, yes the the downturn started two years ago (hard to think it actually only seems like yesterday) but like BFG said businesses are still closing and I believe unemployment is still raising. Not to drag it off topic but IMHO we haven't seen anything yet in terms of what it could and might be.

Anyway, back OT I hope the chap is ok This kind of thing strikes a personal nerve for me unfortunately so I'll take my leave of the thread from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Is it just me or are people jumping off that bridge a lot more than people realize? In the past year I recall about 2-3 incidents similar to this, and they don't always look to have ended so well. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭karbonkoncepts

trust me there are an awful lot more than 2-3 river incidents a year...its more like 30-35..
    its unfortunate but 99% of them turn out with a positive result without any loss of life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Well its good to know that most result without loss of life. Last time I saw one they had the helicopter up, lads in boats (with some camera thing that let them see down into the water, infa-red or something) out and paramedics, gardai and firemen walking along the quays searching. A lot of resources out that time, it must of cost a load!
    That river bloody terrifies me! its so sinister looking. :eek:

Advertisement