Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 2x02 "Aftermath"

Options
  • 06-10-2010 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭

What did you think of "Aftermath"? 53 votes

Excellent
    0% 0 votes
    Good
    26% 14 votes
    Ok
    50% 27 votes
    Bad
    18% 10 votes
    Terribad
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yay, they have control of the ship.

But this episode felt kinda incohesive. This would have been the sort of story that would have worked very well in SG-1 but I think the problem/difference is that it's being told from way more perspectives. Where SG-1 had 1 perspective almost all of the time, we had about 4 here and it felt a little unfullfilling in places. It's hard to stay interested when you can see every angle, there was no suspense. I think it would have been a better episode if Rush's discovery was left unrevealed until the end of the episode.

Didn't want to see that guy go. He was an alright character. But I've never seen it quite done like that and it will probably have a carry on effect.

So now Destiny has no Shuttles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Fantastic unbelievable as always SGU
    Going to miss Riley, was always a good support character with comments in the Show. I like how they boosted his character morals up before he was injurer with the whole POW situation

I just love the small parts that they have in the show that is down to detail, such as Eli worrying about the explosion, it just emphasis that they are out by themselves, experienced still learning the technology of the Stargates again.

From watching the Season 2 trailer I wounder what is out there. Yargh cant wait for next week

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Cant wait to find out what this mission is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Mediocre episode should have been more about
    the picking of the Lucian alliance people they could trust than about reilly dying, but Rush gaining control and ****ing up was interesting. Been waiting for some characters to die as there has been an influx of newbies and whatever about there being to many charcters its more important not to have too many actors budget wise
    Now the object from watching the season trailer it looked be some kind of dock designed for the destiny but there was only a few ****ty frames to see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Now thats what SGU should be like all the time, little bit of destiny tech , progression in terms of exploring destiny / the mission, really deep character development, real consequences etc. Reminded me of the very first few episodes with Rushes sneakiness / cowardliness and the sense of responsibility portrayed by Young.

I can see Young really taking a turn for the worse out of this, it seemed to effect him pretty deeply. I would imagine the direction they will go now is seeing him go off the rails somewhat and Telford having to pick up the slack.
    The object they are headed for is one of Destinys gate seeding ships, will more than likely find out more about the ships mission there seeing as its the entire theme of this season as I understand from gateworld. If so the premise of the next ep will be continuation of that theme and HOPEFULLY will look to keep up the pace seen here. Not breakneck , but definitely moving nicely and fitting for the show. Looks like there will be more aliens aboard the seeder ship and not ones we have seen already as per the pic below fr the heading on the like below...
    http://www.gateworld.net/universe/s2/203.shtml

A

Loved that scene with Young and Reid, Justin Louise really impressed in that and afterwards. Looking forward to more of the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I thought it was boring. The only part that interested me was rush getting control of the ship and the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I can't find this episode anywhere this week! :o:(

Edit: actually... nevermind, found it somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

solid solid episode, threw it entirely differently to what i was expecting, i was expecting this episode to be LA focused,

it was good to see the some of the LA story sorted with a load being left go, so i saw the old-doll stayed, t-bag stayed, and the leader that was kicked off the ship stayed,

im a bit dissapointed reilly died, he was a good caracter and was fun in the kino episodes, (btw are they still doing them), i was half expecting one the LA to have one of those hand healing devices, but it was not to be,

the bridge is cool, when its activated and it raises up from part of the ship, cant wait to see it fully staffed, it makes me wonder what else raises up from the ship, what other secrets are there,

season 2 is off to a better start than season 1 i think, i was gonna leave this episode till tommorow and watch 2 other shows, but im happy i changed my mind, and this will be top of my list next week,

don ramo wrote: »
    the bridge is cool, when its activated and it raises up from part of the ship
    And I can't help but wonder: what if someone has to pee? What if you need to summon Wesley Crusher to the bridge in the middle of a dogfight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

I like how Young stepped up at the end. Gave him a chance to show he can act when necessary. He's definitely going off the deep end though.

Some new tech at last. Rush's visions are interesting, a blend of hallucination and the ship?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thought this was very good.

Rush being such a control freak was done well - he can't trust anyone to delegate too. That includes Eli. It seems the only people he can be honest with are his visions... or are they visions. Hmmm....

I do agree though that Young is mentally unbalanced. I think Scott would be a far better choice for command - he's always been level headed in his decisions (well mostly), although Telford with the IOA is who we will get. As to Young - he nearly bashes someone's head in here, and then suffocates someone else (and Riley is the first person to be killed who's appeared in a good number of episodes... even if he didn't have a huge part to play).

I do like how they didn't go totally down the Maquis route and instead chucked the lot of them onto a planet with few supplies. We're left with the obvious few but the IOA angle could be interesting

Some nice scenes here too - I like the bridge and the shuttle crash scene was handled well. Good idea of having a cliffhanger ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

I don't understand why they didn't dig the guy out from under the rocks. He was going to die either way.

It seems the only people he can be honest with are his visions... or are they visions. Hmmm....
    I like the people on this forum, and the angles they speculate on:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I was thinking the wife was an ascended ancient too, but it kind of makes more sense that it would be Dr. Franklin. Could also just be in his head of course. I found it funny that he was having a conversation with his dead wife about how Rush was mentally unbalanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Overheal wrote: »
    I like the people on this forum, and the angles they speculate on:

Good theory but im putting my money on the ship leaving some kind of signature or connection in his brain and it is interacting with him thatway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

Peace wrote: »
    I don't understand why they didn't dig the guy out from under the rocks. He was going to die either way.

...bit pointless! No point in digging him out at all by your logic!

Was a good episode overall. The lack of Chloe, barring five seconds at the end, is worrying me about how Chloe-heavy the next episode will be....

Would have liked more LA vs Earth clashes regarding their situation as prisoners. Just sending most off the ship seems like a waste of what could have been quite an interesting story arc. Although, I do think we've had enough of Young v Wray for a little while!

Felt the end could've given away just a little hint as to what the object is. Kind of a lacking cliffhanger I felt.
    Unfortunately I got this spoiled for myself on Gateworld by accident, and they could have done it much better. I'll say no more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

SGU - RIP:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 1.070 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49

VinLieger wrote: »
    Good theory but im putting my money on the ship leaving some kind of signature or connection in his brain and it is interacting with him thatway
    Like a hypothetical cylon implant?
    SGU - RIP:

Stargate Universe (9pm)
    - 1.070 million viewers
    - 0.7/1 HH
    - 0.5/1 A18-49
    /ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

I thought it was great. Young is in a very dark place, Rush is bat-shit crazy and Riley is no more. Can't wait for next week and the new found possibilities the bridge will bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭token56

I can only imagine they thought it would have caused a lot more pain and stress to dig him out, it was also limiting the bleeding, and if he was going to die anyway, why subject him to that. What Young did was the most humane in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

token56 wrote: »
    I can only imagine they thought it would have caused a lot more pain and stress to dig him out, it was also limiting the bleeding, and if he was going to die anyway, why subject him to that. What Young did was the most humane in the end.

For future reference if i'm caught in the same spot then i'd appreciate being dug out and given a proper burial. Just incase lads... take note.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Average ep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

If they dug him out it would have only hastened his death and served no real purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

would it not have been worth the attempt at amputation?
    id rather die on the 'table' (floor) taking the chance than just surrender. aron ralston style ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

mawk wrote: »
    would it not have been worth the attempt at amputation?
    id rather die on the 'table' (floor) taking the chance than just surrender. aron ralston style ftw!

Should have just injected him with Miraculous Healing Girl's (aka Whiny Girl) blood, would have been worth the risk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Should have just injected him with Miraculous Healing Girl's (aka Whiny Girl) blood, would have been worth the risk.
    Feeling indebted to Chloe for the rest of your life is worth it? Hell no. I imagine that's why Riley really asked to be despatched - he was afraid someone would think to bring Chloe and try a blood transfusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

thought it was a good episode. not brilliant but good nonetheless. kinda shocked that Riley died :eek: didn't expect a main character(ish) to die. usually it's "we all made through despite the odds". think it's shaping up to be a good series of SGU. it seems like they have a goal now, not just episodic survival as per Season 1.
    ixoy wrote: »
    Feeling indebted to Chloe for the rest of your life is worth it? Hell no. I imagine that's why Riley really asked to be despatched - he was afraid someone would think to bring Chloe and try a blood transfusion.
    can you imagine the horribleness of owing chloe? :eek: she might tell you to actually listen to her whinge on and on :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭GarethWA

whiteman19 wrote: »

can you imagine the horribleness of owing chloe? :eek: she might tell you to actually listen to her whinge on and on :P

Poor Scott! :eek:
    Still...he is one of the very few getting some on board! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

IMO this episode was OK at best. I'm very sick of the whole Rush not trusting people storyline and adding the Lucian guys to the whole military vs civilian storyline is stupid.

The thing that really strikes me now is that any show that starts pointlessly killing off good characters is taking it's death gasps IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

OisinT wrote: »
    IMO this episode was OK at best. I'm very sick of the whole Rush not trusting people storyline and adding the Lucian guys to the whole military vs civilian storyline is stupid.

The thing that really strikes me now is that any show that starts pointlessly killing off good characters is taking it's death gasps IMO.

Six eights of the episode was questionable at best. But thats the same with every single thing broadcast since John Logie Baird got wise. From the time the transwarp dinosaurs left earth I would surmise that we have not seen an episode of any series of anything that has fully satisfied the masses.

From my perspective what it did do was open the possibilty of some fantastic questions; is Rush going insane, was he maybe always unstable, is the ship more interactive that we thought, is Franklin now apart of the A.I, what in the holy bejaysus is the purpose of ye ole' destiny. The mission!! Why did the "Aincents abandon the mission", was it because they ascended and corporeal matters didnt affect them anymore. If that was true why did Merdin not board the ship then?? How does Destiny know when a gate in not active anymore, is there a subspace link? If so does this subspace link allow all the gates to simultaneously connect and eventually allow the weary crew return home? So many more questions in my mind from a single episode :(

Advertisement