Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work on Wolfe Tone Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Word. You see private contrators doing work at night all over the place, so why not the council?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

clived2 wrote: »
    You make some good points.I never said doing both roads at the same time
    was a good idea, just the need to do the bridge, at this time of year and those times.

His reasons make dont any sense, yet he probaby would never admit he was wrong,

If you read his posts, he is just eager to critize gcityc and will probaby jump on your valid post, in retort to my post while ignoring how wrong he actually was

no, i'd rather jump on your nonsensical post - and while I am at it, what makes you think i am a "he". what part of your brain worked that out from my post? better luck next time. :rolleyes:

while I have you, can you elaborate on "which reasons don't make any sense" - don't understand that at all, or are you just posting for the sake of post - I wait, in anticipation for your reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

churchview wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply, but I can't see that he's wrong.

The Council are using the excuse of the tides. The tides run in 6 hour cycles, so the work they're doing now could be done at night with little traffic inconvenience.

Even if that was the case, It would be a health and safety issue at any rate,
    with preference given to lives of the people working on that bridge. Health & Safety laws are very strict and even gcc would have to abide to them. And
    before you mention artificial lighting, no matter what, it is not as safe as natural light.There are other reasons also

with preference given to lives of the people working on that bridge. Health & Safety laws are very strict and even gcc would have to abide to them. And
    before you mention artificial lighting, no matter what, it is not safe as natural light.There are other reasons also

LOL - so the ONLY time they can work on the bridge now for health and safety reasons is THIS WEEK, when another major artery is being worked on - give up now clived or they'll be hiring yourself to dig a big hole. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

before you mention artificial lighting, no matter what, it is not safe as natural light.There are other reasons also

Sorry, but that sounds daft to me. Applying that logic, no roadworks or building work would ever take place at night. Just because the work is near water doesn't make it inherently more dangerous to use natural light.
    There are other reasons also

Such as?..and which justify starting this work at the same time as the Quirke road works?

• Advertisement

no, i'd rather jump on your nonsensical post - and while I am at it, what makes you think i am a "he". what part of your brain worked that out from my post? better luck next time. :rolleyes:
    I apologize for calling you a man. I am able to apologize when I make a mistake.

while I have you, can you elaborate on "which reasons don't make any sense" - don't understand that at all, or are you just posting for the sake of post - I wait, in anticipation for your reply....
    The work on the bridge is being carried out now to coincide with seasonal Spring/Low Tides which allows access to the under-side of the Wolfe Tone Bridge.
    So you want to do the work when?

Sorry, but that sounds daft to me. Applying that logic, no roadworks or building work would ever take place at night. Just because the work is near water doesn't make it inherently more dangerous to use natural light.

Such as?..and which justify starting this work at the same time as the Quirke road works?

I am not defending starting the Quirke roads at the same time which I have made clear already. I am not defending gcc;)

Working in the middle of the night would cost nearly twice the price is one.
    which as we all know cannot be underlooked in todays climate

If a worker fell in the water, the chances of survival are a lot lower

LOL - so the ONLY time they can work on the bridge now for health and safety reasons is THIS WEEK, when another major artery is being worked on - give up now clived or they'll be hiring yourself to dig a big hole. :D:D

As i expected, you jumped on another posters point,(which is exactly what I said you would do) which I have stated I am not defending already.

Why dont you argue your orginal point:D:D:D oh yeah ....

I apologize for calling you a man. I am able to apologize when I make a mistake.

The work on the bridge is being carried out now to coincide with seasonal Spring/Low Tides which allows access to the under-side of the Wolfe Tone Bridge.
    So you want to do the work when?

spring tides or low tides have absolutely nothing to do with the season or time of year - it has to do with the moon being full - are you trying to now say that this week is the only time there is a full moon?

it gets worse :D

I am not defending starting the Quirke roads at the same time which I have made clear already. I am not defending gcc;)

Working in the middle of the night would cost nearly twice the price is one.
    which as we all know cannot be underlooked in todays climate

If a worker fell in the water, the chances of survival are a lot lower

have you ever heard of lighting??? give it up - you walked yourself into a hole and you keep digging and digging - trying to defend the idiots with the timetables.

• Advertisement

spring tides or low tides have absolutely nothing to do with the season or time of year - it has to do with the moon being full - are you trying to now say that this week is the only time there is a full moon?

it gets worse :D

That is the quote from GCC website, when do you propose to do the works.

have you ever heard of lighting??? give it up - you walked yourself into a hole and you keep digging and digging - trying to defend the idiots with the timetables.

zzzzzzz as expected your not reading anything but whats in your head
    You are not reading my posts, I mentioned lighting earlier and already gave my reasons why I thought they couldn`t use it. Go back and read it.

which I have stated I am not defending already.

So what are you defending?

It's really unclear what you're saying here other than personally attacking dolphin city for some reason.

if you read my posts you will actually see on more than one occasion when I suggest they might have thought to do the work. but then again, you are not interested in reading posts - you are more interesting in insulting other posters and defending the idiots running this place - enjoy it - next time, read up on something before you attack.

regarding your silly post re. they can't work using lighting - does that apply to all the council jobs or just to people working on the wolfe tone bridge - can they go up poles in the dark using lights, or can they do other things in the dark using lights, or are you trying to say that they can only work during hours of the day when the sun is shining and no artificial lighting will do - maybe it is the artificial lights you have a problem with - gawd help us all.

So what are you defending?

It's really unclear what you're saying here other than personally attacking dolphin city for some reason.

I am defending the gcc decesion to perform the works on wolfe tone bridge only at this time, which although might be highly unpopoular due the amount of people caught up in traffic on this bridge

can you show me where this is a quote from the GCC website?

I am defending the gcc decesion to perform the works on wolfe tone bridge only at this time, which although might be highly unpopoular due the amount of people caught up in traffic on this bridge

only at what time? You need to elaborate on this so that people don't think you are a troll -

specifically, what time are you talking about???

Thanks.

Now ignore dolphin city* for a second and explain why:

1. It's a good idea to start at this time, the same day the another 25% capacity across the river is blocked, meaning that 50% will be blocked in total. Could it not have been done at an earlier spring tide, if that is indeed a valid reason?

2. If water height is the reason, would it not be a better idea to do this in Summer when the water coming from the lake is more controllable?

3. Why not do this at night? - and the lighting thing is a red herring.

4. Why do this when primary, secondary and University traffic has just returned a few weeks ago?

The only valid excuse is that without the work being done now, the bridge would collapse, and that couldn't be the case or it would be completely closed.

* Nothing personal against Dolphin City but I'm just interested to see if you've a point

Last time
    probably get the same old gem of an answer - I don't know,not my department. ;)
    This is an insult, to every working member of GCC, Infact they are very helpfull if you know what your looking for no i dont work there

summer low tides don't work for them either.
    so your saying summer
    :D:D

or maybe they just have VERY low IQ's up there :P
    Another insult,
    oh please snubblest - were you actually IN Galway during the summer - its a long time since the town was over-run with tourists and tour buses - people have more sense than to come here and you will be hard pressed to find a tour in on two consecutive days anymore.

also shouldn't it be tourist EURO'S - not tourist DOLLARS. WE ARE living in Europe you know -
    Nice condscending reply there, maybe snubblest was refering to dollars, as in tourist money,
    ah so you agree there was plenty of tailbacks in the summer - this is the time when the schools are off the road, and as you say yourself no tour buses exclusively, and no colleges , and you think that NOW is still a better time to do it than in the Summer

Summer is when you want to do this
    if you read my posts you will actually see on more than one occasion when I suggest they might have thought to do the work. but then again, you are not interested in reading posts - you are more interesting in insulting other posters and defending the idiots running this place - enjoy it - next time, read up on something before you attack.

No I read them, You want summer

Last time

This is an insult, to every working member of GCC, Infact they are very helpfull if you know what your looking for no i dont work there

so your saying summer

Another insult,

Nice condscending reply there, maybe snubblest was refering to dollars, as in tourist money,

But what's your opinion, other than just attacking dolphin city?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would assume that seasonal tides have to do with the axis of the planet.
    Now can we get back onto the bridge please?

biko wrote: »
    I would assume that seasonal tides have to do with the axis of the planet.
    Now can we get back onto the bridge please?

Spring tides are not seasonal. It's nothing to do with Spring, the season. They're named for the Springing effect i.e. they spring much higher.

Their effect usually only lasts at most about a week (not the two weeks this work is scheduled to take), which makes the Galway City Council claim just another example of the nonsense/crap that this august body comes out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Even Spring tides vary with the time of the year based on how close the full moon is. Spring tide = full moon, but if you'd continued reading wikipedia you'd have found out there's also the perigean spring tide which is when the full moon is closest to the earth and has the most effect. This varies on a complicated, multi-year scale.

This is the point that I, and others in this thread have been trying to make: even if the pope himself was in town this week, the tides would be best place to carry out the work.

Frankly, get on yer bike and quit yer bitchin'. Or else stop trolling.

Thanks.

Now ignore dolphin city* for a second and explain why:

I intend to
    1. It's a good idea to start at this time, the same day the another 25% capacity across the river is blocked, meaning that 50% will be blocked in total. Could it not have been done at an earlier spring tide, if that is indeed a valid reason?

If you can start A at any time, and B at one time only. and starting A&B together would cause choas, start B at one time and A another.Now I have already said I am not defending them opening up both roads at the same time, infact I am getting tired at writing the same thing over and over
    2. If water height is the reason, would it not be a better idea to do this in Summer when the water coming from the lake is more controllable?

I do not have the knowledge of our lake to ascertain water levels throughout the year, I have taken the GCC word as from their website. I am assuming* they did a detailed reported to establish safest/low tides
    * might be my downfall
    3. Why not do this at night? - and the lighting thing is a red herring.

It is not a red herring, anyone who compares working on a new motorway at night to working on the Lough Corrib, is obvious they have no idea of Health & Safety matters.
    4. Why do this when primary, secondary and University traffic has just returned a few weeks ago?
    For the reason stated on their website
    seasonal Spring/Low Tides

Is that directed at me?

I'm trying to get someone to address points and you're directly insulting me? Anything I know about tides and the river and lake comes from sailing and generally messing in boats since I was a kid

Edit to add this is in reply to xiney

Last time

so your saying summer

Another insult,

clived
    you seem to be an expert at pointing out what you perceive to be insults. If you notice however, these are not directed at anyone on this forum. However it is YOU AND YOU ALONE that decided to insult people on this forum - what does that say about you?

I am getting the feeling you are nothing but a troll - you have an excuse for everything yet you say nothing. enjoy yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I am getting the feeling you are nothing but a troll - you have an excuse for everything yet you say nothing. enjoy yourself

Maybe the 2 of you should get together and make little trolls then. :D

Is that directed at me?

I'm trying to get someone to address points and you're directly insulting me? Anything I know about tides and the river and lake comes from sailing and generally messing in boats since I was a kid

Edit to add this is in reply to xiney

(it was directed at dolphin city)

Xiney wrote: »
    (it was directed at dolphin city)

Sound, thanks. Think I was feeling sensitive today :p

• Advertisement

Sound, thanks. Think I was feeling sensitive today :p

it's cool :) Looking back at it, I can imagine the confusion!

Advertisement