Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Piano/Violin/shoelace - strings on a guitar?

• 06-10-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭

I've got an old acoustic that I'd like to have a bit of fun with.
    I was thinking that I could put some violin strings on the thing,
    or some piano strings, what do you think? The most experimental
    I've gotten with it is to put electric guitar strings on the thing
    and it sounds nice, cleaner compared to acoustic guitar strings.
    Is it a possibility, are there options? I could take the balls on
    the end of normal strings and attach them to whatever I
    choose, I'm just looking for a bit of input on this - perhaps
    somebody would give me a better suggestion or how to go
    about what I've written in an intelligent way? Thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Violin strings are generally too short for Guitar. They are also often flat/tapewound.
    Regarding other strings such as those on Piano, be careful of tension - you could damage the Guitar. We do carry a Guitar string that uses Piano wire for its cores though.

If you are after experimenting why not try some really different Guitar strings.
    There are lots of different types to give you a different sound/feel. Flatwound, silverwound, silk wrapped and so on. Lots of choice from standard Guitar strings to experiment with ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Lol, perfect username for this post! :D Silk wrapped strings??? Is there much
    of a difference? I wouldn't use silk (vegetarian) but I suppose I'll have a look
    in town tomorrow at the standard guitar strings, am I really only confined
    to g-tar strings or is there any room for creativity with this concept? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

Lol, perfect username for this post! :D Silk wrapped strings??? Is there much
    of a difference? I wouldn't use silk (vegetarian) but I suppose I'll have a look
    in town tomorrow at the standard guitar strings, am I really only confined
    to g-tar strings or is there any room for creativity with this concept? :cool:

Well if you watch your tensions you can put rope wire on there if that's your thing :D

Generally though you have plain strings (just wire) and then wrapped strings (wire with a wrap around it such as bronze, nickel etc). Additional things such as silk can been thrown into the mixture. Then further things can be done such as grinding the surface down (flatwound) or variations such as Dean Markley's new oval winding Helix strings.
    At the end of the day, strings are strings so if you put Mandolin strings on a Guitar they really are not any different from Guitar strings, just different gauges on minor variations.

We have a new double wound string due in later this month which I'm told gives the same sound as a flatwound but for acoustic.
    If you were not a Vegetarian, gut strings is another option.

We have some options to have custom sets manufactured if you design some radical thing that none of the big string makers offer. As you probably guessed, strings is our thing :)

Advertisement