Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debate

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭

Please see details of a debate this Thursday. This is been aimed at an anti-hunting debate. Green Members Dan Boyle and James Hope are attending. Any one free to attend, please do. Your countrysports need you.

Country Sports Debate at National University of Ireland Galway

The Literary and Debating Society within the National University of Ireland, Galway is hosting a debate on Thursday 7th October. The motion under debate is; "This House Believes that the Green Party is at War with the Irish Countryside".

There will be representatives there from the Irish Council Against Blood Sports and the Green Party, along with other animal rights groups. It is imperative that the rural community in Ireland show their support for this event and the continuation of country sports.

Politicians deal in the commodity of numbers, therefore we need to stand united and demonstrate that those who support country sports and rural activities are a much bigger group than those who oppose them.

The Green Party has already succeeded in interrupting rural traditions in Ireland and with the threat of their proposal to ban hunting with dogs in Northern Ireland, it is vital they understand that as a community we will fight all the way. To demonstrate the strength of support for country sports and our rural way of life, join the debate.

The debate will be held in the Kirwan Theatre at 7pm on Thursday 7th October 2010. Show your support and bring your friends

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Stickying the thread for a day or two...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭primavera85

all that can attend should.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Here are the details from the NUI Galway Literary & Debating Society Website:
    Where: Kirwan Theatre
    When: Thursday 7th October
    Time: 7pm - 9.30pm
    Motion: This House Believes the Green Party are at War with the Countryside.

It must be a tough life being a Green Party member at the moment.

Not only do they face the impending doom caused by climate change, GM crops and oil spills but they are currently about as popular as a toothache. However, one of the most recent sticks with which the Greens have been beaten with is their apparent hate of the countryside.

Bans on stag hunting and the new legislation regarding the regulationof dog breeding have been interpreted as a direct blow to rural employment. It's not only rural groups who feel the Greens are attacking the countryside, the environmentalists aren't happy either. Many people now question whether the Greens have sold their political soul for a slice of power in government.

However, this being said, the Green party continues to stay strong behind a raft of green policies and initiatives. These include the introduction of a carbon tax and their pledge to phase out fur farmingwithin 3 years. But, at the moment, it seems they just can't win!

Thus, Lit and Deb asks 'Is the Green Party at war with the countryside?'
    There will be representatives there from the Irish Council Against Blood Sports and the Green Party, along with other animal rights groups.

No mention on the UCG website of this - but, has anyone from the pro-countryside / pro-countrysports side been invited to attend/address this debate? If not, then it's going to be a pretty one-sided affair TBH. So anyone in the Galway / Western area with a good and well-reasoned case to put forward in support of country-sports, should high-tail it down to UCG for this one IMO. And Best of Luck! Keep the Faith!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I e-mailed the N.A.R.G.C. about this debate, and asked would they put in on their main page so as people could see this was happening, I got NO REPLY!I thought e-mail's were instant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I e-mailed a pal of mine in RISE ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I e-mailed a pal of mine in RISE ;)
    Well hopefully you will be listened to,the N.A.R.G.C. can put up a lost notice for a pointer on their front page (I don't mind that) but don't seem to have their finger on the pulce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Ah they should have told des and co there was a free meal and photo op in it, would be there faster than gormley out of a coursing meeting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

So, did anyone from here make it along to this debate in UCG? And if so, how was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Unsticking thread since the debate's now over...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Sparks wrote: »
    Unsticking thread since the debate's now over...

and..................................?

tac

• Advertisement
Advertisement