Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SALARY

• 06-10-2010 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Sorry if this did not need a new thread, but can anyone confirm what the starting salary is once you join? as in the minute you start GV? and then if successful once you complete training etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

This can be found on PSNI website - I think it is 17k (ish) to start wit and 22k on completion of training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭pma1983

Do you not start on £22,680 on commencing GV, or is that after initial training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 officerdibble

hmmm... 17k seems very low!!! appreciate whilst in training it may differ however didnt see it on any paperwork received and didnt think to even ask. I found £22k online somewhere however not sure if this is correct. If its the lower then its a paycut of dire proportions for the training period which is a real inconvenience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭stillhopful

hmmm... 17k seems very low!!! appreciate whilst in training it may differ however didnt see it on any paperwork received and didnt think to even ask. I found £22k online somewhere however not sure if this is correct. If its the lower then its a paycut of dire proportions for the training period which is a real inconvenience!

The salary on starting training is £22630, this rises to £25k on completion of training and to £26k on completion of 2 years service

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭wanadrum

Yes - sorry about my post earlier - I had the 17K in my head, but I have no idea why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 officerdibble

Much appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭jclegs

You also get an allowance of £227 per month and the basic salary is now just over £23000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

jclegs wrote: »
    You also get an allowance of £227 per month and the basic salary is now just over £23000.

What do you mean by an allowance? Is this on top of your salary and what is it for?

Lucky23 wrote: »
    What do you mean by an allowance? Is this on top of your salary and what is it for?

It's the Northern Ireland transitional allowance. You get it on top of your pay and I think it's tax free.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

It's the Northern Ireland transitional allowance. You get it on top of your pay and I think it's tax free.
    Check your payslip. It's taxable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

psni wrote: »
    Check your payslip. It's taxable.

Has that always been the case ? I was told by folks in GV the allowance was Tax Free :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,810 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Just studying my most recent payslip and it most defintiely appears to be be taxable! I think people are forgetting to deduct their pension contributions from the "taxable pay" end figure and that's where the confusion lies. Open to correction of course...?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭BoutYe

Just studying my most recent payslip and it most defintiely appears to be be taxable! I think people are forgetting to deduct their pension contributions from the "taxable pay" end figure and that's where the confusion lies. Open to correction of course...?

Hmmmm..... I'll have to look at that. I always thought it was tax free too as when you look at the total pay and the total pay for tax purposes there is the difference. Never thought that would be because of pension.

Checked my payslip today and PSNI is right. If you deduct the pension contributions from your gross pay, then you get your taxable pay so the allowance must be taxed.

Checked my payslip today and PSNI is right. If you deduct the pension contributions from your gross pay, then you get your taxable pay so the allowance must be taxed.

Trust psni to be correct about , and first , with the bad news :D

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

NI allowance is definately taxable. i hate checking my payslip, my deductions at the minute are equivalent to what i earned in my previous life. horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

In simple terms- average student monthly salary £1400-£1500, after training £1600-1700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

In simple terms- average student monthly salary £1400-£1500, after training £1600-1700

Glad I'm not in it for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭gigity gigity

Same here Shampon (not that i earn a lot in my job at the minute). PYG is that before or after tax?

Same here Shampon (not that i earn a lot in my job at the minute). PYG is that before or after tax?

It's your take home after tax, pension and any schemes (e.g. Police Federation) you have signed up for have been taken off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭PapaYankeeGirl

What Jc says. Thats cash in hand!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭Cashflow

Bear in mind that once you hit station, and start doing overtime and stuff, you're hauling in around 2 grand a month.

Cashflow wrote: »
    Bear in mind that once you hit station, and start doing overtime and stuff, you're hauling in around 2 grand a month.

Is overtime not very dependent on your station/district ? I've heard some areas offer good opportunities for overtime but others very little ?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bc84

its very inconsistent. ones in my section and some family have said they used to average 70 hours a month and are now down to under 30. it also depends on your ops planner, some of whom are great, others are far from it. without OT and after deductions im on around 1500 a month. but it generally is a tad higher, and would be even higher if i could be bothered going to the hassle of binning all the totally unnecessary stuff like Athletics Association - Grrr

Sounds like someone was raped by "Payroll Giving" during their first week!
    bc84 wrote: »
    ...would be even higher if i could be bothered going to the hassle of binning all the totally unnecessary stuff like Athletics Association - Grrr

Sounds like someone was raped by "Payroll Giving" during their first week!

Is that when new students sign up for absolutely everything because it all seems a good cause/worthwhile and only realise when they get a payslip just how much the deductions amount to ?

Social pressure subtly applied at an apparently relaxing event, and nobody wants to appear to be a tightwad, means most people end up giving away too much money to "worthy causes". The problem is that every cause is "worthy"!
    delancey42 wrote: »
    Is that when new students sign up for absolutely everything because it all seems a good cause/worthwhile and only realise when they get a payslip just how much the deductions amount to ?

Well , if it's any consolation I believe AGS do exactly the same - several warnings appear in the Garda Recruitment forum about the danger of signing up to every association/fund/savings scheme there is . Apparently that sort of stuff can clean you out :rolleyes:

No - I'm actually referring to the fact that someone from Payroll Giving accosts you at a predetermined event during your training and applies peer pressure on you to give to a list of worthy causes.

Because everyone is new, they're all on their best behaviour and usually everyone caves in and signs up to something just to get them to go away. Nothing stopping you from cancelling the direct debit the next day though! ;)

• Advertisement

Ah , a fine example of ' chugging ' ( Charity Mugging ).

delancey42 wrote: »
    Is overtime not very dependent on your station/district ? I've heard some areas offer good opportunities for overtime but others very little ?

Exactly. My district is sh*t for o/t. The next one over cant give out enough!!

nobody wants to appear to be a tightwad!

I didn't mind :D

BoutYe wrote: »
    I didn't mind cancelling my direct debit the next day :D
    Fixed your post big lad.

Fixed your post big lad.

Har har har!!

Superior_Kitty.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement