Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

size of ESB cable to metering cabinet

Options
  • 06-10-2010 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

what is the standard size cable that ESB will install from the pillar to the metering cabinet in a 12kVA standard connection ?

I'm considering installing a 25 sq from the metering cabinet to the DB but this would only be worthwhile if the ESB cable is 25 sq or greater.

- Its 20 metres from the cabinet to the DB

- Its 25 meters from the pillar to the metering cabinet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

-the only difference 25sq tails make on a 12kva supply is improving 'tolerance' or 'voltage drop' slightly
    -it's still a 63amp supply

i use 25sq tails for the 16kva or 'enhanced' domestic with an 80amp mcb

-it's a better supply where there's 'disturbing loads' such as heat pumps and light welding

the larger 'service' cable and tails make a difference then

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Usually will be 25sq to the cutout, and 16sq from the cutout to the meter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well the aluminium centre live core is 25 square, the outer neutral copper is 16 square in the concentric supply cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

As far as i know this is determinded by the esb on the lenght of there run from there last pole or transformer etc, i connected a house today and esb cable was a 35/70 concentric cable (long run) for a 12kva supply, if you apply for a 12kva supply thats what you will get ,by upgrading your cable to 25sq you will have little effect unless the esb supply is matching your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

As far as i know this is determinded by the esb on the lenght of there run from there last pole or transformer etc, i connected a house today and esb cable was a 35/70 concentric cable (long run) for a 12kva supply, if you apply for a 12kva supply thats what you will get ,by upgrading your cable to 25sq you will have little effect unless the esb supply is matching your needs.

True although the OP was asking what the standard size from a mini-pillar to a domestic cutout at 12kva which i think is 25/16 but its a long time since i had anything to do with any of that stuff at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

As far as i know this is determinded by the esb on the lenght of there run from there last pole or transformer etc, i connected a house today and esb cable was a 35/70 concentric cable (long run) for a 12kva supply,

Would be 70/50, or 35/25. If it was 70m or more I think 70/50 is used.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Correct my mistake 70/50

Advertisement