Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking price vs Offers

Options
  • 06-10-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Listening to the radio yesterday and the reports on the housing market. Prices dropped again in 3rd Q and are expected to continue to drop with things like the budget, new property tax, nama properties hitting the market etc. I was wondering are people getting offers accepted on houses for much lower than the asking price.

I've read somewhere that your opening offer should be about 72% of the asking price.

Have they made a decision about when nama will start to sell off properties?

Is now really the wrong time to buy unless you can get a lot off the asking price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭TheCityManager

We just accepted first offer on our house .. we got 96% of asking price !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Looks like City was either competitively priced or the buyer bid too high. Either way result City.

There are lots of houses which seem to be priced for such a reduction and there are those that are actively dropping their prices from what I have seen. We will have to wait for the Price database to have a clear picture of how close houses have sold in the last year or so.

I don't think my first offer on a property would be at 96% though even if it was competitively priced.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Looks like City was either competitively priced or the buyer bid too high. Either way result City.

There are lots of houses which seem to be priced for such a reduction and there are those that are actively dropping their prices from what I have seen. We will have to wait for the Price database to have a clear picture of how close houses have sold in the last year or so.

I don't think my first offer on a property would be at 96% though even if it was competitively priced.

House was priced at 295k... nearby one was up at 315k so was priced well..

I honestly thought first offer would be about 260k...but yo and behold someone bid 285k straight off....really surprised...

Mind you contacts havent been signed as yet....

nearby house dropped to 295 from 315 after our sale agreed but still sits there - I know they previously had a 290 offer but refused....tut tut ;)

All that being said so way I bid near asking on a property these days...Four MAD budgets to go? I'd be bidding wayyyyyyyy down low :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Percentages are completely irrelevant.
    If two houses on the same road with the exact same spec were priced at 100K and 1million would you think 10% off the first is better than 20% off the second?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I honestly thought first offer would be about 260k...but yo and behold someone bid 285k straight off....really surprised...

Mind you contacts havent been signed as yet....

You'd nearly want to be hoping that the buyer is not a boards.ie user who looks at the accommodation and propetry forum from time to time! They might deduce they are the buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

We just accepted first offer on our house .. we got 96% of asking price !! :)

you my friend are a BIG BULLSH*TTER

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055941780

You have been caught out big style
    I sold my last in Oct 2006..just before crash and have been waiting ever since...Im a cash buyer ..no mortgage required ..

or how about this post about 2 months ago. So where has this magic house that you sold come from ??

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66415588#post66415588
    Just been watching prices in general in Dublin (sold me last house 3.5 years ago and have been sitting happily on the fence ever since )

A few houses that have gone up in last few weeks have already been discounted....

Its happy dayz..going to view a house this eve,,€350k..started out I believe at over 600k...might offer 250k or maybe I'll wait longer.....................

ah yes and then of course the cherry on top . Proof your renting
    I rented a 3 bed semi on a 6 month lease..3 months gone.....It's FREEZIN...have heat up FULL all day and still need coat and hat on in house or sit on top of radiators...my daughter refuses to stay and I had to move out over xmas as I just couldn't stick the cold..girlfriend kinda doesnt like staying either so I seem to spend most of my time at hers or friends....

What can I do ?

Can I get rent reduced due to excess gas bills and fact I cant really stay here ????

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

well that sure shut him up, no comeback or nuttin....meh:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Nice investigation work there :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Kenevil

Ha ha ha ha pmsl good work D3PO :):D

Nice investigation work there :cool:

I didnt even need to investigate i remember reading he was renting. tooting his horn that he sold in 06 (if you believe it) implying near or at the peak so i searched till i found the evidence that he is full of it.

Not a post out of him since....I'd say he's created another username and will be back with vengeance :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

there is no coming back from that:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Qwerty27

Excellent work detective!

Damie wrote: »
    Not a post out of him since....I'd say he's created another username and will be back with vengeance :p

hes probably on the gambling forum aftertiming on 100/1 shots :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

My new favourite thread - nice work D3PO nice......

Come on city manager lets hear from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Amazing the lows Estate Agents will stoop to keep up the apparation!

Re: thecitymanager uncovering:D

Well he's back posting anyway, not a word in defense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Come back citymanager. It's no fun here without you

• Advertisement

LOL What have I missed :rolleyes:

Yes all I have said in previous posts is true:P....I've been a bit of a rambler last few years..lived here with gfs, rented there on my own, put a deposit on that house , withdrew, rented again..... etc etc ...all since I sold house in Oct 2006.

Have been living with gf since earlier this year...was intending buying house and when she was ready (complicated) she would sell up and move in and happy days...

Plans changed and she has sold her house (well sale agreed on first offer) and we are off renting for a year (at least)
    When properties have reached as near rock bottom as possible we will buy together..

So sorry no mystery....;)

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭turbobaby

I am trying to sell my house at the moment and have changed EAs three times. Two of these failed to tell me about bids received on my house. Horrid.

LOL What have I missed :rolleyes:

Yes all I have said in previous posts is true:P....I've been a bit of a rambler last few years..lived here with gfs, rented there on my own, put a deposit on that house , withdrew, rented again..... etc etc ...all since I sold house in Oct 2006.

Have been living with gf since earlier this year...was intending buying house and when she was ready (complicated) she would sell up and move in and happy days...

Plans changed and she has sold her house (well sale agreed on first offer) and we are off renting for a year (at least)
    When properties have reached as near rock bottom as possible we will buy together..

So sorry no mystery....;)

:p

BULLSH*T cant beleive it took you so long to come up with that excuse :rolleyes:

Let me refresh your memory you said WE sold OUR house. Not my GF sold her house.

Really after 2 weeks you think you would have had long enough to try and cover your lies a bit better

D3PO wrote: »
    BULLSH*T cant beleive it took you so long to come up with that excuse :rolleyes:

Let me refresh your memory you said WE sold OUR house. Not my GF sold her house.

Really after 2 weeks you think you would have had long enough to try and cover your lies a bit better

It feels like WE cos I've been imersed with her in it all ..........so although it's not MINE it feels liek it's WE that sold ...hopefully...and if you dont understand that well then there is little else I can do :)

and we (ok She ;)) are waiting fingers crossed that buyers will sign contracts tomorrow...

and as for the two weeks thing how would I have known ye were all getting excited in this thread except by looking in here..........:D

Anyhow believe it or not there you are :p

nah, don't believe that tbh.....could have come up with some lame excuse more interesting than that in 2 weeks....
    In fairness we kept this post on the 1st page for weeks in case you were missing your merking:D

dissappointed with reply:(

losers :P

:rolleyes:

I'm a loser :P

:rolleyes:

Fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

turbobaby wrote: »
    I am trying to sell my house at the moment and have changed EAs three times. Two of these failed to tell me about bids received on my house. Horrid.

How did you find out they hadnt told you about bids?

I went to see a house couple of weeks back and EA told me they had a good offer of 210k on asking price of 230k but its still listed for sale. EA also said they turned down 240k couple of months back when it was listed 249k. Dont believe that for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭matsy1

Very funny. City Manager, can ya just admit it, Walter Mitty.

Anyway, I viewed a show house in Heathfield, Cappagh the other day. The house was priced at around €250k I think, when I asked the agent what are they 'really' going for he laughed and said he would love to tell me but cant, and that I should just make an offer and see what happens... I wonder how low they would go for? I didn't put in an offer as I haven't even got mortgage clearance yet, I'm just looking around researching for buying next year, and was seeing if they were doing rent to buy, which they aren't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'd advise to move onto another estate matsy1, I would never live across the road from a former dump.(thats behind the Cappagh Hospital) nevermind other issues down that way.

If you see a rake of unsold houses in an estate, they are unsold for a multitude of reasons where one of those reasons would be the price.

Advertisement