Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SKY TV + NTL Broadband

• 06-10-2010 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi Guys,

Just moved onto a new house, there's Sky TV + British Broadband(DSL) using Eircom line. BT is struggling to get 4Mb/s (most of the time gets only about 0.7-1.2 Mb/s). I had 30Mb/s NTL(UPC) in my previous location, so now I'm feeling desperate to get back to NTL BB.

My Landlord insists on keeping SKY for TV(cause he got used to menus, remote etc), my question is: Can I keep SKY for TV and get Broadband from NTL(UPC) at the same time?

Just to clarify: I'm based in Ireland.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes. UPC sell Broadband without TV (NTL & Chorus are gone, bought by UPC)

But Sky don't do Broadband in Ireland. Only in UK. Virgin Media, not UPC are the UK cable company (NTL only exist as Arqiva in UK, the NTL cable is gone). AFAIK they also sell cable Broadband without TV.

You need to clarify if you are in Ireland or UK. Either way the post doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MrT123

Thanks, I know NTL does separate BB, I'm just wondering if SKY TV and NTL BB can coexist together, I'm not sure if they use same wire or not ? PS I'm based in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭stanley1

SKY is via satellite, NTL is via cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Different cables required to feed each, but yes the can exist in the same house. UPC is not available everywhere, so keep this in mind. Also, if you are not using their TV services broadband with UPC is an additional €8/month on top of your broadband package price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MrT123

Thanks, GUYS , (it's in my area cause my Neighbours got it ), finally I'll be back to normal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i'm living proof, i have sky tv and upc broadband living happily together in perfect harmony. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm living proof, i have sky tv and upc broadband living happily together in perfect harmony. :)

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I used to have UPC Broadband + UPC TV and then ditched UPC's TV for Sky HD. The only problem I had was I couldn't activate the Sky HD box over my Blueface voip telephone line. Sky don't support voip lines.

So I Sky support and told them that it wouldn't activate over my Eircom line ;) so they activated it over the air for me. That was 2 years ago. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

+1

Advertisement