Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pinball

• 06-10-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd mention to anybody who's a fan that Dr. Quirkies in Dublin have now have Iron Man (very pretty table), Avatar and Big Buck Hunter. They're only there a couple of weeks so they work really nicely unlike the ones they replaced which needed some serious maintenance.

They've also gotten in a Dr. Who in the New Bar in UCC in Cork. It wasn't on when I was there a couple of weeks ago but I heard it had only just been installed and would be up and running soon. I used to play this on holiday about 15 years ago and it was great fun.

The only other place I know with pins is Sea Point in Salthill in Galway. I think they've a Spiderman, Pirates of the Carribean and Indiana Jones if memory serves correctly.

Anybody know any other good locations to play a few games?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,886 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wish I knew more places and wish that the nearest place wasn't Dr. Quirkeys. I have a dream of when I get my own place and having a Twilight Zone or Addams Family pinball machine or one of the Pinball 2000 tables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

There's a couple of tables in the small arcade beside cineworld, a Gilligan's Island one (that swallowed my money on the two occassions I tried to play it) and a Williams but not sure what one...Fish Tales maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

The only other place I know with pins is Sea Point in Salthill in Galway. I think they've a Spiderman, Pirates of the Carribean and Indiana Jones if memory serves correctly.

was in seapoint lately, Spiderman, lord of the rings and family guy. Spiderman ok but multiball non functional. Lord of the rings has probs and family guy not working at all.
    Spiderman the best even with issues, replay score is quite low so replays are not a big problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

You're right. I couldn't remember for the life of me what Sea Point had again. I remember getting a rake of replays on the Spiderman machine though.

I really like Big Buck Hunter, the meese trundle out onto the middle of the table and you have to shoot them. It seems relatively easy to play and there aren't any really nasty surprises.

Iron Man and Avatar have gotten on my nerves a bit initially as I had 3/4 of my balls go down the sides (the term has just gone out of my head can't fecking think of it) instead of losing them through my own cack handedness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Batman: Dark Knight in Thunder Road Cafe

• Advertisement

Been meaning to go in there. They've got the new Sega Harley Davidson game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

That Gilligans Island is very good, but there are problems with the table, my ball got stuck and no amount of nudging or the machine clicking away could get it back, so I had to just leave it.
    I would love to play an original Funhouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They have a Gilligans Island in that arcade beside Cineworld in Dublin.

I'm absolutely awful at it!

Sea Point have their games down to 50cent a play which is great but the machines are very badly maintained and have gotten unplayable in the last few months.

I find the Big Buck Hunter in Dublin got unplayable pretty quickly too. The buck that rolls out onto the playfield doesn't register hits in Dublin or Cork unless you hit it full force on the nose. Don't remember it being that tricky when I played the machines when they were new.

I really like Rolling Stones pinball in Quirkies. Iron Man is great too, the sound effects are great. Avatar doesn't float my boat though it's quite tricky to play. The balls tend to drain down the sides far too easily. I'm hoping they get Tron one of these days.

Funny was in Seapoint today, I told the man in charge about the issues with Lord of the rings the last time i was in (see post above) they never bothered to fix them. so now the left upkicker is faulty, bash the balrog doesnt register being bashed the cave upkicker is weak and the left flipper is down on power.
    Other than that it plays fine.;)
    Spiderman playing ok.
    I keep away from Big Buck Hunter so can't comment.
    @Is1ldur Andy at pinball.ie put a funhouse in his collection recently very clean example. If you ever get to Adare he may let you have a go.

• Advertisement

There's barely a thing that works on that Lord of the Rings. Flippers are so worn out you'd barely be able to hit anything even if they did. For the last year the thing that bounces the ball onto the sword has been flakey.. gets stuck there for 20 seconds every time.

with all those faults i wonder would they sell it off. i fancy a project.

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Can anyone point me in the right direction for buying a pinball machine or any thoughts about it easy/hard/costs/problems etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Is1ldur wrote: »
    I would love to play an original Funhouse!

Me too. I looked it up On IPDB to check the back glass, I remember playing this table years ago. Great memories.

I've always enjoyed pinball tables. Each table I ever came across offered something new and innovative. Tables I am particularly fond of are Terminator 2, Back To The Future and and Dr. Dude.

you could talk to Andy at pinball.ie. also mitchomagic gets the odd pinball in.
    machines can give trouble but if you are handy you will find lots of help on the net.
    a dotmatrix machine in good condition will probably be around 1000 euro or more.
    but if you drop lucky you can get something older for 4 to 500.
    watch ebay to see what they are selling for. research is always good.

Dr. Quirkies have gotten rid of Iron Man. And even more of their videogames. Gonna be all slot machines soon.

I had a look into Century City which I never knew existed till I read about it here. They've got Fish Tails and Gilligans Island pinball. Both fun tables. I haven't played any stuff from the 90's era in 15 years.

Where is Century City? would take a trip out the next time i'm up.
    Was in Dublin a couple of weekends ago and was in Dr Quirkies and they only had The Rolling Stones and Big Buck Hunter then.

It's in the mall next to Cineworld on Parnell St.

Just discovered this new table from Stern. Has anyone seen it in Ireland yet? I'm dying to give it a go.

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/tron/index4.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Holy ****! Want!!!

It better play the Daft Punk soundtrack :)

• Advertisement

You'll want the LE version too then! Only a handful of those made though. :(

http://www.pinballnews.com/games/tron/index3.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Something so classy about a pinball table like that, & its something that you can say without doubt...that emulated versions are just nowhere near the real thing.

Here is a fantastic quality video of the LE table. It's highly likely we'll never get to play the LE table but it's still nice to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

cgarrad wrote: »

I absolutely ADORED that table as a youngster. Why are you selling a dream table? If I had the room in my gaf...

I'm as much into saving them as playing them ;-)

Rebuilt this completely, works great, going to completely rebuild a Cyclone that is in BITS!

That the one I really remember...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I LOVE PINBALL!!!!!!

I have Microsofts Pinball game and play it often!

The Getaway is fantastic. I used to play it 20 times a day when I was on holiday in a place that had a table. Wish I'd a decent income I'd pick up a table or two. Not the cheapest hobby in the world.

The Rolling Stones table in Quirkies is doing my nut in. Every time you get a really good score, or sometimes just at random it resets. I was on 15m on my first ball and it just shut off. Been like that since they got it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

While going to college in Cork in the early 90's I used to work in an arcade in a seaside town there. It was a pretty decent arcade. Had a range of games and wasn't just filled with Streetfighter/MK clones and we kept them in pretty good condition. However all of the maintenance staff had a soft spot for Pinball. We used to keep them in perfect condition 'cos we all played them the most. We had a range from old Kiss and Harlem Globetrotters (Our favourite of the classics) to the great Hook, pretty good Star Wars, only average Lethal Weapon and, of course, the mighty Addams Family. We cleaned the table surfaces at least every two weeks, all rubbers and solonoids were changed at the first sign of wear or lethargy and the volume was turned WAYYYYYYY up. Especially on Addams Family. It was in a corner, slightly shaded for the light efects but not shaded enough that it made the ball hard to see. And when that "IT'S.....SHOW TIME" roared out you could hear it downstairs. It is a pity that there are so few tables out there at the moment but it's not surprising (As a matter of fact I'm surprised there are any at all) The running costs are so high. The maintenance is continuous what with constant wear and tear, the physical space they take up (And the 15,000 Spanish students that hang around them with only one player :) ) and just the sheer power used with all the solonoids and motors, lights etc. Anyone who has ever had to replace a part under the playfield can attest to the heat given off, especially the older tables.

I used to quite like that Fish Tales table (We didn't have it but I used to play it in another arcade) so I must check out that table on Parnell St. Cheers.

That and I must do some research on pinmame.... :)

• Advertisement

There's a guy on adverts.ie selling a Fish Tales pinball as well. Looking for a few quid for it mind you.

Most of the places like Quirkies or Sea Point don't really maintain the tables much at all from what I can see. They just replace them when they get worn out.

Just a heads up to say they've gotten a Tron Legacy at Sea Point in Galway. Nice fast table. You can't beat continuous Jeff Bridges quotes either.

Looks like I'm taking a road trip to Galway over the bank holiday weekend now.

Thanks for the tip off! Is it the LE table or just standard? I'm guessing it's standard as the LE run was super low.

Chances of anywhere in Ireland getting the LE version of anything is slim. Lighting could really do with a bit more pizzazz really, it's a shame they didn't throw in a bit more on the standard version it's a little bland looking.

Still, i'm just glad to have any new pinball table in the country because the way they get maintained they're often not particularly playable after they've been on site for a year.

Thanks for the heads up, was in Galway and was gonna pop in. What machine did they get rid of or is this in addition to the existing machines?

Out of curiosity, where would likely have this in Dublin?

• Advertisement

As far as I know there isn't one in Dublin. Might turn up in Dr. Quirkies at some point. They replace machines every year or two. At the moment they only have Rolling Stones and Big Buck Hunter.

I don't even know where else in the country has tables other than the places mentioned earlier in this thread. Maybe some sea side resorts.

God one tron in the whole country :(

If anyone see one please put it up on this thread.

Think Quirkeys are getting rid of all the video/pinball games, last time I was in there was pallets of poker/one arm bandits waiting to be unpacked at the back of the room they have the pinball's in.

It's a sad state of affairs really that the business is just not seen as profitable any more. Replacing video games and pinball with boring, money-sapping slot machines is disappointing and to a degree somewhat saddening.

I hope Tron pinball comes to Dublin, I would definitely head to wherever it is located armed with stacks of coins to play it. I'm certainly considering a beano to Galway over the bank holiday period. :)

Surprised they've even lasted that long in there. The slot machines almost all in use every time I go in there and there are hardly any people on the arcade machines.

Certainly not set and forget but they really are works of art ;)

• Advertisement

Was into seapoint today, we got Tron at the expense of both Lord of the rings and spiderman, That said the LOTR was a bit knackered.
    The Tron is cool although its a euro a game compared to the previous machines being half that.
    Oh Well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Anyone here played Medieval Madness, what did they think of it? I'd love to play it.

Playted MM last week, great game, loads to do, fast and interesting, played it at the Pinball Museum in Vegas. Great place, most Williams, Bally and Stern machines are represented although CV and Bandai Run were off ;-(

http://www.pinballmuseum.org/

Med Mad

Ratings

Has anyone got the definitive list of Pinball machines playable in ireland? (I know it is gonna be a very short list!)

the Irish pinball meet is on over the weekend, the most machines you will see in one place in Ireland. You will have to head to Adare though.

Damn, I have college all weekend otherwise I'd love to go. There is a Funhouse down there I believe... :(

Yep he has a funhouse, have played it and it is in top condition, also the classic monster bash was added to his collection a while ago.
    this may be the last time its on as well, shame to miss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I would LOVE playing on a good Pinball machine again!! (Like i did in the 80s in arcades)

Do these folks have regular meetings? I'd genuinely love to play some pinball again. It would be amazing if the Tron table came to Dublin. Is it still in Galway?

Tron still in Galway, its only been in about a month so i imagine it will be there a while yet. The Irish pinball meet is an annual event and as said this may be the last.
    I suppose if you were passing Adare you could give the organiser a shout and see will he let you have a go on the machines.

• Advertisement
Advertisement