Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Bay FM News

Options
  • 06-10-2010 12:37pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭

I've just listened to the midday news bulletin on Galway Bay FM.
    There were four items relating to the health service today.

This is about average for them.
    What is their obsession with the HSE ?

Do they have a researcher working fulltime on health issues and nothing else?
    I know such items are important and of interest to listeners but I often wonder if other (non HSE) news reports are being sacrificed to make room for them.

Every news bulletin on Galway Bay FM has at least one story relating to the HSE. Its all a bit over the top in my opinion.

Why not give the HSE items their own designated slot after the main news? They could fit them in between the sports news and the list of dead people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

don't get me started. I listen to them for the traffic reports, but the news always send me into a flying rage - what's their obsession with irrelevant soundbites? Is this 'real' news just because someone somewhere feels competent to comment on something completely pointless?

(like that piece of 'news' about women this morning (can't even remember what it was) - they had some random English woman commenting for no good reason. Or that bit about the Connemara woman who *almost* got refused entry into the US, and a neighbour on the news saying how nice she was or something - like, WTF? How is that news? with no info on why she would have been refused entry...)

I'm sure there's more relevant stuff going on around the world, or at least provide some proper information about the 'news' they're reporting, no harm in a bit of background info, for example, on any topic....

Lazy reporting...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

"And, now the death notices brought to you by Lackagh Furnishings"

I HATE gbfm news. The report writing style, their voices..and their obsession with the HSE and some art local credit union art competition.

Saying that, I hate GBFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

It's saying something when I'd rather listen to i102-104 than GBFM

If I could get Rascal consistently I'd listen to that, traffic news or not (most of the time when I get the traffic news it's too late and I'm already stuck in it)

"It was such a wonderful day today, ha ha ha, beautiful and lovely and the sun was shining, ha ha ha. And now for the death notices for Galway City and County"

Gah. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for that goddamn awful voice change to total seriousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I notice also that they pick up a lot of their news from the papers etc and foreign news from sky, why bother with foreign news its well covered in the other stations like RTE, Newstalk, Today FM, I wish they would just keep it local news and stop going to the HSE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,900 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Those f*cking jingles. For that alone, I don't listen to GBFM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"It was such a wonderful day today, ha ha ha, beautiful and lovely and the sun was shining, ha ha ha. And now for the death notices for Galway City and County"

Gah. It wouldn't be too bad if it wasn't for that goddamn awful voice change to total seriousness.

Very true.
    I often get the feeling that they are about to fall into the grave themselves when they read out the list of the newlydeads.

A minute earlier they are all chirpy and happy when they give those of us still living the weather rain forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭paulhannon

Dont see the point for traffic reports in a city this small. It's the same delays, at the same times, in the same places, with RARE exceptions.

That station is so out of touch it needs a complete overhaul.

And when is rascal on air? ive yet to pick it up.

well, if they hadnt reported the Parkmore accident this morning, I would have been stuck for a good while...

So I think it does make sense, and is the only reason for listening to GBFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

you're up to date with Galway Bay FMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Purely in the interests of research, I listened to the 11am bulletin, first four items are local news
    1. Flood mitigation works in Galway East
    2. Trial of man for assault
    3. Leak on a road in Tuam
    4. Temperatures to rise this weekend
    - And now for the national news
    5. Carlow cannabis find
    6. HSE and Siptu expenses
    7. BoI forecasts economic growth
    8. Argos seek temporary workers
    9. NI Fraud investigating housing dept
    10. Ireland needs to sort out its budgetary finances
    11. FG says they don't have to agree with budgetary measures
    12. Ryan commission
    13. High Court grants Michelle Rocca permission to appeal case
    You are up to date with GalwayBayfm

Only one HSE story that is covered by all the other stations as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

snubbleste wrote: »
    Purely in the interests of research, I listened to the 11am bulletin.................
    Only one HSE story
    Lapin wrote: »

Every news bulletin on Galway Bay FM has at least one story relating to the HSE.

So as I was saying..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I'm so going to find a gbfm news bulletin that does not mention the Hse or any illnesses or diseases or trolley waits or painting of waiting room murals.

Meantime, the best news is over on RnaG - local news for local folk

If one could understand but a word...

(last time I tried to listen to their news, I got two words out of the entrie news bulletin: 'Toyota' and 'Mitsubishi'.) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

'It's Jimmy Normin in the Mornin, on GBay FM' the home of sh!te music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

I have to laugh when I hear the death notices - not because its funny but because of the ridiculous voice and the slow reading of the announcments. I always wonder does the read put a black mantala on her head whilst reading - and at the end, the big happy jingle announcing "youre up to date with gbFm"
    hilarious

as for annoying voices I have yet to come across anything more annoying than the TV3 continuity reader - is she holding her nose, or underwater or something - turns me right off - usually flip to UTV so I don't have to hear her. although on thinking about it there is a woman on Galway Bay FM that does the night shift who is hilarious - used to listen to her to just laugh but that was about ten years ago - anyone know if she got her sinuses fixed yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Wasn't she the one that did the looooooove hour? Gawd, she was ghastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I have to laugh when I hear the death notices - not because its funny but because of the ridiculous voice and the slow reading of the announcments.

+1

It's not just GBFM that do this.
    I remember years ago when Clare FM started doing Death Notices, yer man used to occasionally say at the end:
    "Thanks be to God, tis nobody we know" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ya thats her the lurvve hour - we used to kill ourselves laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,492 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Terrible station tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I have to laugh when I hear the death notices - not because its funny but because of the ridiculous voice and the slow reading of the announcments. I always wonder does the read put a black mantala on her head whilst reading - and at the end, the big happy jingle announcing "youre up to date with gbFm"
    hilarious

I am not Irish and I am always surprised by this section. Never heard that in any radio before. It make sense though as you can find the notices in any newspaper and also it can reach isolated people.

Advertisement