Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thigh Tattoo

Options
  • 06-10-2010 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'd like to get a tattoo around my thigh in a band. It would be fairly big I think. Why do so few men seem to have thigh tattoos? Is it regarded as a bit girly? I don't really mind anyway I think it would look cool.

Problem is I can't see many examples on men on google images, so does anyone have some pics of tattoo ideas relating to this? I need to see some more examples of what they look like if possible.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I have a sizeable tattoo on my thigh, its an asian style tattoo. Though what you have described sounds girly as it brings to mind a garter belt like a bride would wear or possibly a brothel worker from the old west......:p
    I'll hazard a guess that you're thinking like a polynesian / maori / neo-tribal garter style tattoo, I would advise against this, firstly because I think it will look poor and secondly because no one will see it, not that that is a major point in the grand scheme of things.

Upon further consideration, if you were a dark skinned possibly Maori looking dude weighing about 6ft 5" 300lbs and already had some groovy tribal tats then the "garter" would fit in, if on the other hand your a pale skinned non-muscled barely tattooed irish dude it will just look a bit out of place. That is my honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Lol. I'm definitly the latter there! I wouldn't be getting anything tribal, it would be an arty piece tho. Jesus I'd hate for it to look like a garter or something!

Ok, maybe it would be girly, anyone have any other advice? Pics of these tattoos? Thanks again

Maybe I shouldn't get it in a band so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on having a quirkily placed tattoo just do enough research into the style you'd really like.

Most people start off loving tribal, then get really impressed with Black and Grey, then colour tats and lastly old school (thats my experiences anyway).
    Research which artist is right for your style and travel to them, dont just jam up a "recommend me an artist in X-county" thread, go to whoever is the best in their field (within reason), I'm not suggesting you have to travel to Japan to get a decent Japanese tattoo, just that your local guy may not be the most experienced at it, if you get what I'm saying.
    Placement of your tattoo is important, as it may be the building block for an overall piece down the line so dont forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I have a large piece on my thigh. Its a Black and Grey Gandalf, so girlie, no way! I needed a large canvas and since I have a back piece, my thigh was the next obvious place. It does help being 240 lbs and having 26inch thighs. Once I get around to it there will be a band added above it, although not looking like a garter, I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Darkdream

I think on the calf would look good!
    :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement