Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap Year?

Options
  • 06-10-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this would be the best forum to post in, but the general "College" forum doesn't seem too populated....

Basically, I absolutely hate my course. I've tried and tried to like it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop out today. I was going to do a transfer at Christmas, but I don't think I could stick my course until then, and to be honest, I REALLY don't know what I want to do anymore.

What can I do for a year? Anyone got any interesting adventure links? Working abroad, volunteering etc....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Why would you post in a college forum asking about everything but college?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

I'm pretty sure 90% of the student population actually doesn't like what they study.

I just bit the bullet and got through with it.

Was so tempted to take my third year as a gap. Didn't go through with it though! And actually did another year after that!

It gets better. But I wouldn't shun taking a year out. Could do you some good (maybe learn a new language in a different country?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Healium wrote: »
    Basically, I absolutely hate my course. I've tried and tried to like it, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to drop out today. I was going to do a transfer at Christmas, but I don't think I could stick my course until then, and to be honest, I REALLY don't know what I want to do anymore.

What can I do for a year? Anyone got any interesting adventure links? Working abroad, volunteering etc....

I would assume that if you don't like your course at all, you won't like any job which is closely related to it either so it would make sense to throw in the towel for that reason. But there is a lot more to university than just your course so I'd consider my options before leaving.

If you detest whatever you're doing now, perhaps there is a possibility that you can still transfer now to some other course, as it is still early enough in the year, and remain in college instead of leaving altogether/waiting until Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Be a man, see the thing through. You're into what, your second month and you're already thinking of bailing out? How do you know you'll like the other course that you talk about transferring into? Op, it's all hard work and generally something that is worth doing is rarely ever easy. So I reiterate, be a fucking man and see the thing out till at least Christmas before you transfer.

And yes, gap years for English twats with too much money. If you want to volunteer etc... consider joining the St. Vincent de Paul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

The Agogo wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure 90% of the student population actually doesn't like what they study.

Why would you study something you have no interest in? That seems like a rather bad way of wasting what should be some of the most fun 3 or 4 years of your life (nevermind further degrees or work relating to your degree...).

Gap year ideas:
    - Get a random job, work for 6 months and save every cent, go travelling around South East Asia for a few months off that and party your ass off
    - Move to somewhere random in the EU and get a job there. Be a barman in an Irish pub and youll earn a livable wage and have great craic.
    - Become obsessed with fitness and spend 6 days a week working out until you have the body of a professional athlete (then enjoy the attention that this results in on nights out!).

I've had different friends do all of the above and none of them seem to regret it, all seem like good options to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 The_Mermaid

I took time out of my course because I hated it and it was the best thing I could have done! I think most people are totally unprepared when they enter college and sometimes a break is required. Don't drop out, but take a leave of absence and if come February you can think of a better thing to study, reapply to CAO.
    Anyone who says to "just do it" hasn't really experienced the hatred of a course :P It's not worth a year of suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

The Agogo wrote: »

I just bit the bullet and got through with it.

Was so tempted to take my third year as a gap. Didn't go through with it though! And actually did another year after that!

It gets better. But I wouldn't shun taking a year out. Could do you some good (maybe learn a new language in a different country?)
    I've tried and tried to stick with it, but it just manages to get worse :p It just REALLY isn't for me. I plan to do something beneficial during the year!
    I would assume that if you don't like your course at all, you won't like any job which is closely related to it either so it would make sense to throw in the towel for that reason. But there is a lot more to university than just your course so I'd consider my options before leaving.

If you detest whatever you're doing now, perhaps there is a possibility that you can still transfer now to some other course, as it is still early enough in the year, and remain in college instead of leaving altogether/waiting until Christmas?
    The thing is, I really don't know what I want to do anymore. Switching to another course could just leave me in the same position. I need some experience to evaluate things
    El Siglo wrote: »
    Be a man, see the thing through. You're into what, your second month and you're already thinking of bailing out? How do you know you'll like the other course that you talk about transferring into? Op, it's all hard work and generally something that is worth doing is rarely ever easy. So I reiterate, be a fucking man and see the thing out till at least Christmas before you transfer.

And yes, gap years for English twats with too much money. If you want to volunteer etc... consider joining the St. Vincent de Paul.
    I'm not transferring into another course, that's my point! I genuinely don't see the point in shelling out tons of more money until Christmas, when I know in my gut that I'll never finish the course. I'm just gonna take the loss, and learn my lesson
    Blut2 wrote: »
    Why would you study something you have no interest in? That seems like a rather bad way of wasting what should be some of the most fun 3 or 4 years of your life (nevermind further degrees or work relating to your degree...).

Gap year ideas:
    - Get a random job, work for 6 months and save every cent, go travelling around South East Asia for a few months off that and party your ass off
    - Move to somewhere random in the EU and get a job there. Be a barman in an Irish pub and youll earn a livable wage and have great craic.
    - Become obsessed with fitness and spend 6 days a week working out until you have the body of a professional athlete (then enjoy the attention that this results in on nights out!).

I've had different friends do all of the above and none of them seem to regret it, all seem like good options to me.
    I thought I'd like it! Damn you, time I should have put into my CAO... *shakes fist*
    I took time out of my course because I hated it and it was the best thing I could have done! I think most people are totally unprepared when they enter college and sometimes a break is required. Don't drop out, but take a leave of absence and if come February you can think of a better thing to study, reapply to CAO.
    Anyone who says to "just do it" hasn't really experienced the hatred of a course :P It's not worth a year of suffering.
    Don't you need substantial reasoning for taking a leave of absence?

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/pol_loa.pdf

It's not been worth the 3 weeks of suffering so far :p

Advertisement