Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free to air tv

Options
  • 06-10-2010 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Anyone get it and can you install it yourself or did you get someone local to do it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I know someone who used one of the Free-to-Air Satellite Recievers from Lidl after setting it up himself.

It worked pretty good, got a good few general channels but obviously the major commerical ones were locked.

Don't know much about the technical side of things, you should try the Satellite TV forum for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I bought a DIY freesat kit with everything I needed from www.satellite.ie; the proprietor, Tony posts over on that forum. The kit cost less than €100 delivered to my door and I was very happy with the excellent service and advice from Tony. Lots of great advice and tips on that forum too; I never realised there was so much to TV nowadays!

PS: I've no connection with satellite.ie, just a very satisfied customer. And for what its worth the dish I got is far superior in build quality terms than anything from Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ILA

I bought a DIY freesat kit with everything I needed from www.satellite.ie; the proprietor, Tony posts over on that forum. The kit cost less than €100 delivered to my door and I was very happy with the excellent service and advice from Tony. Lots of great advice and tips on that forum too; I never realised there was so much to TV nowadays!

PS: I've no connection with satellite.ie, just a very satisfied customer. And for what its worth the dish I got is far superior in build quality terms than anything from Lidl.
    There you go, OP. That's something to look into.

The Lidl ones are only about 70 quid but I would have my doubts about some of there electronic stuff, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭kizzyf

Thanks for that. I've seen some other one's advertised in electrical stores too for around €80. There seems to be some local people who can come and install it for you but is it easy to install yourself. I mean do you have to get up on the roof and set up a dish, is it very techie?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Plug for a local business

www.tvtrade.ie

PS I've no Affiliation with this business and I know nothing about these systems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

You'll need to attach the dish to a wall, facing the right direction (roughly south south east), run the cables back through your house to ur box & tv.
    You'll need to finely position the dish then too. Needs to be exactly poiting in the right location.

Once you've done that it's easy going, most of the boxes autotune and pick up all the free channels for you. You might just need to sift through them to organise them.

and you probably don't get rte 1,2 tv3 or tg4 with the dish so you need to connect a normal aerial to your tv for that aswell.

If ur happy with the channel selection and can live without sky 1, living, etc etc Sports, sky Movies, discovery, geographic.... then it makes sense, no monthly bills to deal with, just the one off setup.

Advertisement