Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What help I can receive with college tuition fees?

• 06-10-2010 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,

I was unemployed the last year and receiving the job seekers allowance, because off this I qualified for the back to education allowance. I decided to go back to college and have paid my registration fee, but Im just after getting another letter now saying I also have to pay tuition fees.

I really cant afford them and if Id have known before i paid registration I may not have gone back to college at all.

Is their any help that I can receive financially?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Had you previously completed a college course? as you should only have to pay for registration fees if you haven't.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaphas

I have previously completed 3 years in a lvl 7 course. I was told that if I went back, as long as the course was a level 8 that I wouldnt have to pay tuition fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭nudist

Ciaphas wrote: »
    I have previously completed 3 years in a lvl 7 course. I was told that if I went back, as long as the course was a level 8 that I wouldnt have to pay tuition fees.

Correct me if im wrong but a level 7 is a ordinary bachelors degree according to fetac right? if so then this level 7 counts a third level qualification. And since you can only get btea for a third level course the first time round for free, this might be why you have to pay now. Does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ciaphas

You are correct it does count as a third level qualification, but as I am going from a level 7 to a level 8 I qualified for the BTEA(I am currently receiving this).

What I dont understand is how I can receive this and yet I still have to pay the tuition fees? Surely if you qualify for BTEA you shouldnt have to pay tuition fees? Im just wondering what are my entitlements? Can the social welfare be of any help in regards to the tuition fee?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

You should have used the usual maintenance grant application forms of the relevant VEC/Local Authority to apply to get them to pay the fees part of your course only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

If you were doing an add-on year to go from level 7 to level 8, then you wouldn't have to pay tuition fees for that extra year. If you are doing any year at a level you have already achieved, then you have to pay the tuition fees for doing these years again. The only exception is if you are a 'second-chance' student which I believe means you would have been out of college for the past 5 years.

Advertisement