Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just want to rant!

Options
  • 06-10-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm a 23 student and due to a disability I'm entitled to rent allowance as I'm claiming D.A.

For the last few weeks I haven't stopped looking for somewhere to rent, I'v been searching the areas of Santry, Drumcondra, Whitehall, Artane, Beaumont and I can't find anyone thats willing to accept rent allowance, any nice spot I see it says "rent allowance not accepted". I'd be willing to put additional money to the rent (I know this is not allowed but I'm so desperate).

Maybe I'm looking too much for 700euro? All I want is a nice clean studio, apartment or flat. I don't want to share, I need my own place.

Im just sick and tired now of searching and just want to find my perfect place!

anyway I just wanted to get this off my chest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

There's no harm in ringing them anyway and explain the rent allowance is related to DA, and you may find some landlords are accommodating.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

definitely do, once you find somewhere you like, go for a viewing and when you meet the landlord / agent explain your situation, you'll find the perfect place in no time!!

Most places tick the 'no rent allowance' box automatically because of the reputation that comes with it, but once they get to know you their shouldnt be a ploblem!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Definitelty mention that you're in receipt of rent allowance because of DA. It may make a difference to the landlord. If it's not too far out of your way, I'd go and view the places and explain the situation to the landlord face to face rather than over the phone or via email - you never know, until you try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    I just want to rent!

fyp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

fyp

• Advertisement

thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated

I'v had 2 open heart surgeries so that entitles me to disability due to my heart condition.

I'm well capable of going to view these places an all but when I see the "rent allowance not accepted" I automatically rule it out. I;v tried explaining myself but they just dont want to know when they hear social welfare which is shame cause I'd be a good tenant.

I only have my life back on track now with going back to college etc and I'm just trying to find myself a little place for myself but no joy so far!

thanks again guys:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

RA isn't attractive to Landlords for a variety of reasons. Its paid in arrears, and the HSE are pain to deal with if theres any hassle. Blood out a stone would be easier. As others have said you might have better success if you could explain the situation.

Are there rules about offering a bigger deposit?

Im not sure!

if anyone knows of anyone that has an apartment could do they pls pm me.

thank u very much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Would it be an option for you to have a deposit and first month's rent saved up yourself?
    Landlords probably wouldn't like to have a tenant in their property for a month or more before they see any rent and deposit being paid, but if you could get the cash together yourself to hand over when moving in (maybe someone - a friend, family member - could help you out and you could pay them back when the allowance comes through) that would probably go a long way to securing a place for yourself, especially since the RA is tied into a DA payment.

I know of some landlords who are happy to take on a RA tenant once they agree to pay the deposit and first month's rent themselves while they are waiting on the RA to come through (and once you are sure you will be approved, i.e. the rent is within RA limits etc).

Good luck with finding a place :)

Hi

yes I can get the money no problem.
    It's just finding a place, I'm finding it very difficult to find anywhere!

• Advertisement

just a quick question

if i find somewhere at say 700euro, the RA is 520 so could I top it up to 700euro? thanks

on a side note some of the letting agents are so horrible to deal with, they really need to learn some customer service skills!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 johnnysexsmith

just a quick question

if i find somewhere at say 700euro, the RA is 520 so could I top it up to 700euro? thanks

on a side note some of the letting agents are so horrible to deal with, they really need to learn some customer service skills!!

As a landlord who accepta RA I would have a problem doing this. No matter how honest the tennant is the landlord has to declare the rent amount on the HSE form and provide a copy of the lease.

Should there be an agreement to top up the rent the landlord has no recourse at all if its not paid as all of the documentation would say €520 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

OP , PM me and I can give you the no of my landlord. He's the best landlord I've ever had in Dublin , his properties are generally cheaper than the norm. He doesn't have any issues with signing up for RA. He may or may not be able to help you depending on your needs, but I'll give you his details anyway if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

You can put an ad on daft ie , flat wanted, i,m a student ,on disability allowance i can pay x amount ,also you can get help from threshold, or crosscare cathedral st re finding a place.Some People in private houses take 1 tenant on ra ,under rent a room scheme ,crosscare, focuspoint put out a list everyday,11am, flats that take ra,taken from ads in papers etc.better to get a flat soon, the corpo will offer you a flat after about 2 years,rent 30euro approx per week.they reserve x amount of flats for people on ra.theres much more flats that take ra in the city centre, there are good landlords out there that take ra,look at north circular road etc to get a flat you need to be ringing up every day mondayto saturday,in the morning before 1pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055997019

:rolleyes: im confused..are you going to bring the pool table with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Jaysoose wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055997019

:rolleyes: im confused..are you going to bring the pool table with you?

Whats confusing about that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Distorted

Danbo! wrote: »
    Whats confusing about that?

The fact that in August you had a budget of 4k to build a shed to put a pool table in. Surely you can't have had the shed built already and thus must still have some of it for deposit and first month's rent, thus putting you in a stronger position to rent?

my need to move out is more important than my need to build a shed for a pool table.

i already said i had enough for the deposit and 1st month.

I just found the perfect little apt in the perfect area but on the add it says "rent allowance not accepted" will i just rule it out? or will I approach this and see if they take R.A?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Johnny Bitte

I just found the perfect little apt in the perfect area but on the add it says "rent allowance not accepted" will i just rule it out? or will I approach this and see if they take R.A?

thanks

Call and explain. They worst they can say is no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Theres no harm in ringing and asking. Worst case scenario you lose a few cent on phone credit.

I went around to view the place, perfect for myself, I really got on well with the landlord but sadly she wouldnt accept rent allowance:(

Advertisement