Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term renting in Galway

Options
  • 06-10-2010 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I've just been offered work which will involve spending some time living in Galway. After one month I could be sent to another part of the Country for a period of time before returning to Galway for another term. Anyways my problem is that because of this I cant afford to sign a 12 month lease since I may only be in Galway 5 months of the year. Is it possible to rent rooms for a month at a time at a reasonable rate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

JohnP199 wrote: »
    I've just been offered work which will involve spending some time living in Galway. After one month I could be sent to another part of the Country for a period of time before returning to Galway for another term. Anyways my problem is that because of this I cant afford to sign a 12 month lease since I may only be in Galway 5 months of the year. Is it possible to rent rooms for a month at a time at a reasonable rate?

Yes you can in many cases. If there is an office you need to reach in Galway on a daily basis and if so where is it roughly and will you be driving there or relying on public transport?

One important thing, make sure you get an apartment in the right location or you'll spend 8h working, 2h (not always but quite possible return journey) driving, your evening complaining about traffic here in this forum and then you'll spend the night having nightmares about traffic jams, roundabouts and upcoming road works :-)

If you tell me what area your office is in I can tell you where to look for places. You'll love it here if you get a good setup, they'll have to drag you away.

Oh, and bring a raincoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JohnP199

My work will invole travelling between the city centre/Headford rd area and Oranmore so Im open to suggestions of accommodation anywhere between these two localities! I know the traffic can be terrible at times but I wouldnt mind sitting in a traffic jam that bit longer if it meant getting a place at a lower rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

JohnP199 wrote: »
    My work will invole travelling between the city centre/Headford rd area and Oranmore so Im open to suggestions of accommodation anywhere between these two localities! I know the traffic can be terrible at times but I wouldnt mind sitting in a traffic jam that bit longer if it meant getting a place at a lower rate.

Depends on what kind of "lifestyle" you are after then but Doughiska is smack bang in the middle of the 2. I lived there, not the most exciting place but ok. 10 mins/€10 to town in a taxi and quite frequent bus i think.

Example - this says 1yr lease but i'd say it is negotiable in most cases
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=908137

Ballybane is another area

Example - think price must be wrong here - it ain't the nicest area though
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=922638

If you scroll down on daft you'll see on the map where it is and then you can googlemaps Oranmore - Doughiska, Doughiska - Oranmore etc

I live in Oranmore and I like the place but not sure i'd live there if I was in your situation. Maybe if you lived around here you'd be ok, it's on the "edge" of Oranmore towards town like 300m from dual carriageway

French park
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=960644

Costa Na Mara - there's always places going here for some reason you can probably haggle on rent
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=957015

Actually always haggle on rent

Advertisement