Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New puppy owner needs advice!!

Options
  • 06-10-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there ive had a look around and cant really find anything to answer my question on this if ive missed it somewhere my apologies!

anyway we got our 10week old springer spaniel 4 days ago all going well so far except we noticed yesterday that after he had been exploring down the back of our shed he now has little bugs crawling on his tummy.

I dont know whether to call them fleas,ticks,lice,mites but whatever they are they seem to be making him scratch alot. Im assuming they are just on his tummy as this is where he has thinner white fur and although i cant see any in the brown patches on his back they may be there too.
    We went to the pet shop to get a flea collar and some kind of shampoo or treatment for him but the assistant in the shop said we could kill him with the collar:eek::eek::eek::eek:so we decided against that and just got a puppy shampoo which we washed him with last night.this did kill some of whatever they are but again today im spotting some more on his tummy.

Can anybody tell me is there anything i can do to get rid and prevent them that is safe to use on a 10wk old??????? He has had all his puppy shots and is going back in 6 weeks for boosters.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

if i was you cos your not sure would take pup to the vet. id say its fleas alright and the best thing is a spot on from your vets. This needs to be applied every month in the summer and i do it once or twice in the winter

If he has had his vac at 8 weeks he should be going back at between 10 and 12 weeks for his booster. if you wait till another 6 weeks you will have to start the vac programme all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Phone the vets office and ask what can be used on a 10 week old pup, they will tell you.(I think flea powder but better ask)
    Its probably fleas, and if you've only had him 4 days and he's crawling with them, he probably had them when you got him.
    You also need to treat the house(sprays and powder are suitable for this), and wash his bedding and any fabric he's in contact with. Otherwise any fleas on the carpets or his bedding will just re-infect him again.

Not sure but think some spot on treatments are from 4 months and up. Vet will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It sounds like fleas but as the other person said, i would bring the pup to the vet for proper treatment.

The stuff sold in pet shops is crap really and anything like wormers, flea treatment etc should be bought or prescribed from a vet.

Also i dont think those fleas collars are any good. He will need a proper flea and tick treamtent like Drontal or Advocate but you need to get this from the vets.

Also, just a query in relation to what you said about his vaccines. 6 weeks sounds very long to wait for next vaccines, its usually 2-4 weeks, so are you sure you have it right?

Either way i would go back as soon as you can to get proper flea treatment as they can be hard to treat unless you get the right stuff from the vets.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

thanks for all the replies guys will give the vet a bell and see what they say. to answer about the shots im only going by what i was told from the breeder he told me to take him back in 6 weeks.might give him a bell too to be sure though!!:ohes very experienced with gun dogs though so it was probably me picking it up wrong:o

Advertisement