Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Didn't know the D5000 had it too, you can say better than me in that case, was it really beneficial or just more a gimmick?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Old Perry wrote: »
    +1, a camera with the inbuild motor will be a lot faster and it also allows you to by cheaper lenses as opposed to more expensive newer lenses with inbuild motors.

Actually in almost all cases the AFS lenses will focus faster and more accurately than their AFD counterparts, AFS has some other advantages as well, most AFS lenses allow you to disengage the AF for example by just moving the focus ring, the AFD lenses have a little switch. AFS lenses focus more quietly than AFD lenses.
    The one blip was the 50mm AFS from a couple of years back which people were surprised to find was fractionally slower than the AFD version, but not significantly so.
    There are tradeoffs in terms of buying older gear, but AFS has been around long enough now that there's a fair amount available second hand, and Nikon is apparently commited to it going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Thinking of buying myself a little present for myself over the next few weeks, with a Canon fit 70-300mm lens top of the list. I've had a go at the Sigma version which a friend let me use, but I've seen the Canon IS USM version which is tempting, though more expensive by a bit. Has anyone used both and have any insight to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

Does anyone have any views on how good the HD video is on the likes of the Canon EOS 550 or 500. I'm going to get a new camera and would like one with good video to record some music gigs. I read that all Autofocus on DSLR's is poor and that there is poor sound/picture synchronisation. Has anyone got any views on it's usability?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭little bess

Hi guys,

Thinking of upgrading from my 450 d to something a little better. I'd like full frame, better iso capabilty but not sure at the moment what to go for .I've been out of the loop for awhile gadget wise. I have the kit lens and 50 mm 1.8 , would consider switching to nikon if something turned my head, budget 1000 euro ish :) Any recommendations?

• Advertisement

Is your budget inclusive of what you'll fetch for your current equipment? If not, a switch to Nikon might be an idea as the new D7000 is a bit of a savage camera [Though not full frame]. Body only goes for around €1100 but if you sold your gear you'll have enough for the extra plus VR kit lens and maybe a 50mm f/1.8 Nikkor

For full frame have a look around for used canon 5D body only maybe, sell your current body and keep the lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Valcin wrote: »
    Does anyone have any views on how good the HD video is on the likes of the Canon EOS 550 or 500. I'm going to get a new camera and would like one with good video to record some music gigs. I read that all Autofocus on DSLR's is poor and that there is poor sound/picture synchronisation. Has anyone got any views on it's usability?

A hacked Panasonic GH1 or standard GH2 will give you better footage than the Canons. Most Canon models suffer from fairly bad moire and aliasing issues.
    The Panasonics are nicer to use for video too, more compact and no nonsense with flipping a mirror down to use the screen for video.

If you'll be shooting gigs you'll need fast lenses, f/2.8 or better really.
    At the moment autofocus is a waste of time for video on DSLRs. You can't really trust it to get the focus right. With the limited DOF this could mean your footage will be well out of focus.

Not aware of any DSLRs with sound/picture synchronisation issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Spotted a used 7D (not full frame) with only 500 actuations or so on adverts last night. Asking price was €1200 but in the thread he/she had already dropped to ~€1000

I also seen a used original 5D (full frame) on the sales section of a UK forum for £500 stg. You might get a similar deal via ebay

Hadn't really thought of selling my current stuff but could be an option! That is a nice looking camera , where are you seeing that price ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hadn't really thought of selling my current stuff but could be an option! That is a nice looking camera , where are you seeing that price ?

http://www.adverts.ie/digital-cameras/canon-7d-body-only-mint/348392

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Why are you upgrading? If you don't know what you want, then there isn't much anyone else can do for you.

I was recommending based on this:
    Hi guys,

I'd like full frame, better iso capabilty

I was recommending based on this:

Yep, thanks for that cageyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

I have a few sub-compact cameras and having seen a Powershot G12 in action I was very impressed by the quality.

I am now in the market for a premium quality compact camera. The shortlist at the moment is the following 2 cameras: Canon Powershot G12 and Lumix dmc-gf2.

Is there any other cameras I should be considering and what would people recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i just got a (lovely) new canon 550d - can any one suggest which type of memory card i should get? is there any clear advantage of one over the other?
    The 3 types that are supported are SD, SDHC and SDXC

shop4memory seem to have a good selection of these, at pretty reasonable prices
    (http://www.shop4memory.com/configurator/?system=35639)

I'm thinking of getting 2 x 8GB cards

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Valcin

RichyX wrote: »
    A hacked Panasonic GH1 or standard GH2 will give you better footage than the Canons. Most Canon models suffer from fairly bad moire and aliasing issues.
    The Panasonics are nicer to use for video too, more compact and no nonsense with flipping a mirror down to use the screen for video.

If you'll be shooting gigs you'll need fast lenses, f/2.8 or better really.
    At the moment autofocus is a waste of time for video on DSLRs. You can't really trust it to get the focus right. With the limited DOF this could mean your footage will be well out of focus.

Not aware of any DSLRs with sound/picture synchronisation issues.

Thanks for the advice Richy, I'll have a look at those Panasonic ones although they look pricier than the Canon's which may rule them out for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Hi all,
    The gf has hinted at this camera for christmas, and can't find a decent review apart from the Argos main site.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594748/Trail/searchtext%3ECAMERA+OLYMPUS.htm

Any anyone shed some light on whether it is a good model?

FG

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    The gf has hinted at this camera for christmas, and can't find a decent review apart from the Argos main site.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5594748/Trail/searchtext%3ECAMERA+OLYMPUS.htm

Any anyone shed some light on whether it is a good model?

FG

That many pixels on that size sensor is going to give some hideous noise or muddy noise removal artifacts.

But then again that's par for the course for compacts...

It's hard to call compacts good cameras, or even cameras at all. They suck all the life out of photography by replacing everything with scene modes and face detection.

I would nearly say that camera's on smartphones are better because apps let people actually tinker with what can be achieved.

Sorry, I'm sick and cranky. :(

If your OH wants it get it for her. There isn't one compact amazingly better than the other and it'll take adequate photos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cycling_mad

looking at buying my gf a digital slr for xmas , she's into photography having travelled around diff countries and took some lovely pictures that now hang on our walls at home , plus were expecting our first child in Feb , so its pretty much for them types of things , she's not a professional , she has an old slr but wants a new digital one

any ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

looking at buying my gf a digital slr for xmas , she's into photography having travelled around diff countries and took some lovely pictures that now hang on our walls at home , plus were expecting our first child in Feb , so its pretty much for them types of things , she's not a professional , she has an old slr but wants a new digital one

any ideas

The Pentax K-x is good value at €419.99 from Argos. Some of the Sony
    models are also in your price range.

What type of SLR has she got? Maybe some of her lenses would
    work with a DSLR of the same brand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

What lenses does she have. If they can be used on newer models that will heavily influence your choices. €500 is probably going to limit you to the secondhand market.

Have a look at adverts.ie. Plenty of Canon 40Ds there for around your budget,

hbr wrote: »
    The Pentax K-x is good value at €419.99 from Argos. Some of the Sony
    models are also in your price range.

What type of SLR has she got? Maybe some of her lenses would
    work with a DSLR of the same brand.

yeah she has a pentax at the min , must have a look later and post the model and see if the lenses work on a new one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

yeah she has a pentax at the min , must have a look later and post the model and see if the lenses work on a new one

They will. :pac:

They will. :pac:

how sure are you

ok so she has a MZ-50 Pentax

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

how sure are you

oh he's very sure ;) From 1975, Pentax used a lens mount system known as K-Mount, and you can use any lens which is a K-mount produced since then on pentax k-mount camera bodies. The only challenge (which you won't be facing) is when you try put one on a older body then you need to be a little more careful as to the particular type of k-mount (K, KA, KAF, etc.). But putting it onto a modern pentax body will not pose difficulties. Functionality will vary depending on the actual lens - for example if it isn't an autofocus lens then it won't magically start to autofocus on a modern body. But they should work.

In addition most of those older lens (particularly older manual "M" or "A" lens) are of excellent build and optical quality. I have a number of them and while autofocus is a nice to have, the older lens are great to be able to use.
    ok so she has a MZ-50 Pentax

Yup. MZ-50 is a K-Mount body - above applies

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

Hi all,

Im getting a camera for xmas, one with a good widelens...

ive had a look around but dont really know what im looking at...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-compact-cameras/

Any advice? upto say e350 or so..

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you dont know what you are looking at - how are we supposed to help you ?

What do you want to use the camera for .....just out and about in town, taking pics for facebook ...or do you want to get something to use with a view to learning more about photography (aperture, ISO, etc etc)

Hey, I like taking pics of arcitecture and thats what i want it for mainly
    I also wanna use it on holidays and nights out ect :)

Tks

• Advertisement

Fujifilm FinePix F300EXR
    Panasonic FX75

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement