Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice/Questions on buying Cameras & Accessories. **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I've been flicking through adorama.com looking at used bodies etc, as i'm looking for a new camera, and noticed a couple of used 1D MkII going for near enough the same price as the 40D, although only rated as 'Good condition' compared to the 'Excellent' for the 40D.

I know the 40D's more of a pro-consumer body compared to the pro-style of the MkII, but which one would be better for gigs and sports?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to canon :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭woody_2000

jetski wrote: »
    Hi all,

Im getting a camera for xmas, one with a good widelens...

ive had a look around but dont really know what im looking at...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-compact-cameras/

Any advice? upto say e350 or so..

Tks

If you want RAW images, comprehensive control and an enthusiast/professional level feature set in a compact and pocketable format then the Canon S95 might be worth checking out... It's a virtual "Swiss Army Knife" of photography, and the smallest and most compact camera of it's type available... Amazon have it available for approx. €350 at the moment, and if you need its combination of format and functionality then it's a good value... I got the earlier S90 a few months back and am very happy with it. I wanted to dabble with some *proper* photography and considered a DSLR, but ultimately decided on the S90 as it is a camera that can be conveniently taken anywhere, with the feature set I needed... I may get a DSLR at a later stage, if required, but the S90 will still be my carry anywhere camera... The S95 is basically a minor revision/update of the S90 (possibly based on user and review feedback), but is basically the same camera... A lot of professional photographers apparently use the S90/S95 as a convenient and pocketable take anywhere camera... The lens zoom range is 28 - 105 mm (35mm film equivalent), and low light performance is very good for a compact. It comes bundled with the same advanced image processing software as Canon's DSLR range. Reading some comprehensive and in depth reviews might be worthwhile if considering this camera... The Panasonic Lumix LX3/LX5 has a similar feature set, but is a bit larger in size and a bit more expensive... Just my 2c. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

No comparision between the 1dmk2 and 40d, the 1dmk2 is a pro body thats fully weather sealed (when used with the correct lens) it will focus quicker and more accurately and shoot faster than the 40d. It might be let down slightly with high iso handling but on the converse the metering will be on the money. I recently advised another pro to go from the 7d to the 1dmk3 and they couldnt get over the focus speed/build quality/metering/handling/accuracy and sold the 7d

Seen a 1dmk2 up in Cash Converters in Navan for €1250 (to high of a price but room to go down)
    Lots of error 99 problems with the 40d too, 10 instances of it that I can remember of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

1D mk2 ...... but I would check the shutter count first !!

or if you can find it .... a 1D mk2n.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

woody_2000 wrote: »
    If you want RAW images, comprehensive control and an enthusiast/professional level feature set in a compact and pocketable format then the Canon S95 might be worth checking out... It's a virtual "Swiss Army Knife" of photography, and the smallest and most compact camera of it's type available... Amazon have it available for approx. €350 at the moment, and if you need its combination of format and functionality then it's a good value... I got the earlier S90 a few months back and am very happy with it. I wanted to dabble with some *proper* photography and considered a DSLR, but ultimately decided on the S90 as it is a camera that can be conveniently taken anywhere, with the feature set I needed... I may get a DSLR at a later stage, if required, but the S90 will still be my carry anywhere camera... The S95 is basically a minor revision/update of the S90 (possibly based on user and review feedback), but is basically the same camera... A lot of professional photographers apparently use the S90/S95 as a convenient and pocketable take anywhere camera... The lens zoom range is 28 - 105 mm (35mm film equivalent), and low light performance is very good for a compact. It comes bundled with the same advanced image processing software as Canon's DSLR range. Reading some comprehensive and in depth reviews might be worthwhile if considering this camera... The Panasonic Lumix LX3/LX5 has a similar feature set, but is a bit larger in size and a bit more expensive... Just my 2c. Cheers.

Thats for that - what do u think about the Panasonic Lumix ZS7

• Advertisement

the only thing I was worried about was the fact there was no shutter count or anything displayed on either, and the price was cheap as chips. between 550-700 usd for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just as you mentioned that shop in Navan, I've seen a few lenses and cameras in their window, way over priced. They really don't know what they're selling either, they had a lens in the window a while back and I inquired about it. They couldn't tell me if it was Nikon fit or not, so i just walked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

can you not ask ?

remember - if a deal sounds too good to be true...it probably is !!

1D mk2 are supposed to last approx 200,000 actuations (I have a body which was on over 400,000 last time I used it - havent used it in a few months)

Actually - if you want to try either 40D or 1D mk2 .... let me know - I have both just sitting there !!

EDIT: if you are not intent on using the camera for sport - I would also suggest the 5D

I might call them tomorrow evening, it'll be a killer on the phone bill but if it's a true deal it'll be worth it.

I'd be getting it shipped to a friend in the states before it arrives here, so if I decide to go for it, I'll have him give it a good thorough going over

Wouldnt cost too much to get the shutter replaced

• Advertisement

Borderfox wrote: »
    Wouldnt cost too much to get the shutter replaced

roughly how much? I'm really getting tempted now..... surely they wouldn't sell a body marked as "Looks Ugly but works fine
    Appears to have been used very heavily with multiple dings, scrapes, scratches and heavy brassing. Glass may have fungus, excessive dust and/or scratches that can affect picture quality." if it was broken or almost at the end of the road?

Zerohamster will give you a more accurate quote but I think around the €300 mark, this is very cheap in comparision with the life of the camera

The Panasonic ZS7/TZ10 advantages compared to the S95 would possibly be a much longer telephoto lens, GPS, Full HD video, a higher resolution sensor and faster continuous frame rate. It also costs a good bit less. That's good if these advantages are an important consideration. In every other way, I would guess the S95 is probably better. It has a more robust enthusiast/advanced level feature set, including RAW imaging capability, etc. It has much better low light performance (which is a specific part of its design), which might be important for dull/evening and night time shooting. This is due to the combination of a more light sensitive sensor and faster (larger aperture) lens. The sensor and lens are probably at least twice as sensitive each to light as those of the ZS7 - which would make the S95 at least four times more light sensitive, or approx. two f-stops. This should also mean a greater and more flexible dynamic range, and better and faster shutter speed capability in lower light and duller daytime conditions. The Lumix LX5 would have comparable light sensitivity to the S95... Basically, I personally think the S95 is the better choice - unless the ZS7's particular features/advantages are an important consideration... Once again, just my own 2c...:)

Borderfox wrote: »
    Zerohamster will give you a more accurate quote but I think around the €300 mark, this is very cheap in comparision with the life of the camera

May be a silly question but, does replacing the shutter bring the camera's actuations back to 0?

I know most cameras have built-in obsolescence, so just curious.

A new shutter mechanism would be similar to a new engine so yes in a way it would reset the actuations but the body still has an amount of wear, but being a 1 series the build of the body can handle it

Thinking of getting a camera from the states, just wondering if anybody has experience with the voltage. Is the camera running at 110v and will I need a step-down transformer? It's a Canon Mk II I'm looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The camera works on a battery, not on mains.

Your battery charger (for the camera) will be fine once it has the right plug/connection.

Most devices are now 110/220/240v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Thinking of getting a camera from the states, just wondering if anybody has experience with the voltage. Is the camera running at 110v and will I need a step-down transformer? It's a Canon Mk II I'm looking at.

Any charger I have for anything works from about 100v to 250v, including my Canon 40d, you'll just need that physical 3 pin adapter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

Anyone have thoughts on an ideal size camera bag for a canon 550d with 2 lens?
    I really like the 5 Million Dollar Home bag from crumpler

but these versions of these bags seem to be Australia only

Any one suggest anything similar?

Just looked through my previous post again this morning -- it was late at night when posting. I just thought I'd post further to elaborate on the faster lens and low light sensitivity point.

The S95 lens is mainly faster at the widest angle, but then goes down quickly throughout the zoom range - i.e. the main light advantage of the S95 is at the wider angles, and offers no real advantage at longer zooms. However, the option of the faster lens is there - if required. The ZS7 is no worse than most other compacts or superzooms, it's just that this is a particular strength of the S95 - and Lumix LX5. On duller days, though, the ZS7 may not work well at longer zoom ranges due to the lower light sensitivity of its sensor - and the need for faster shutter speeds to counter the effects of more apparent/magnified camera shake at longer focal lengths. You do have a brighter 10MP resolution with the S95 to play with, however, and there may some scope for cropping images to get a greater "zoom", if required - with maybe even some moderate upsampling/sharpening of the cropped image... It just depends on what your output requirments are... The S95 also has a special low light mode which employs "pixel binning" for even greater light sensitivity, but the overall image quality and resolution (2.5MP) are lower. The low light mode is handy where a flash is not feasable/workable, and it also runs at a higher continuous frame rate. This adds to the S95's advantages in low light... The ZS7 is probably a good camera for its particular class, but its relative strenghs and weaknesses need to be understood when taking your own particular requirements into account... You only get "one bite of the cherry", as they say... ;) HTH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jaybeeveedub

if you want full-frame then your question really is answered above...

A 5d is the only camera in your price range and 1000 should get you a minter with a battery grip, then sell your 450d and invest in some better glass, cause the 5d is going to to embarrass your current selection!! Not as picky as the mk II or the 1ds mk II and III, but the sensor deserves better glass, also your kit lens will be ef-s so wont work with a full-frame....

You wont believe the difference though, the view finder is big and bright...
    JB

:) thanks for that, seems like the s95 is the better one specially with the wider lense although the Zs7 has the HD video which i quite and as im planning on making a video for my website ive gone with the zs7 although i was close to the s95 tbh. i got a decent price on it too 239 sterling compared to peats e420! Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

:) thanks for that, seems like the s95 is the better one specially with the wider lense although the Zs7 has the HD video which i quite and as im planning on making a video for my website ive gone with the zs7 although i was close to the s95 tbh. i got a decent price on it too 239 sterling compared to peats e420! Thanks again

Best of luck with your purchase. The S95 actually does have HD video (it's just 720 compared to Full HD 1080 on the ZS7). This was an upgrade feature compared to the S90. Depending on your particular requirements, 720 HD video might use maybe up to half the bandwidth of 1080 Full HD - as it is half the resolution (not taking sound into account). Depending on what your intended output is, 720 might be actually better and more efficient. An average laptop, for example, will not display above 720 - and full 1080 resolution laptops are very rare, and expensive. Higher bandwidth may also be a concern for someone concerned with that, and may not bother to download 1080 content. I know 720 is the most I would personally consider downloading. 1080 desktop monitors may be more common, as would Full HD televisions. I don't know what the comparable overall video performance of each camera might be, as I'm not into video, but best of luck with your ultimate choice. The ZS7 should have 720 HD video also. Technology is now at quite an exciting stage, and going forward...

Actually the ZS7 has a slightly wider lens: 25mm compared to 28mm (35mm film equivalent). It's just that the S95 is much brighter at wider angles...

Cheers :)

Post edited to reflect the fact that the ZS7 doesn't have Full HD video...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

I got one of my Cameras from America. Didn't have a problem at all. I just went to Power city and got an adapter plug, worker perfectly, and 2 years later is still working without a hitch.

Granted, that if i had have had a problem within the first year ( covered under warranty, i would have be hosed, because the US warranty is obviously for the US only, and does not include Europe. But i'd say you'll be taking out insurance on it, considering the camera you are looking at.

Just don't get caught out by customs, they'll slap duties on it rather easily if they find receipts/packaging.

cheers woody... im looking forward to getting it :) @ theVoodoo - i bought it in the uk :) 5 year warrenty

cheers woody... im looking forward to getting it :) @ theVoodoo - i bought it in the uk :) 5 year warrenty

Good luck with you purchase, jetski :)

Actually I was just looking at the ZS7 again, and it appears that it just has 720 HD video. Go Figure... I briefly looked down through a review late last night and thought I saw Full HD mentioned. I guess I wasn't alert enough. Sorry about that. Reviews look ok though...

Have to be more careful in the future. Just editing previous posts now to reflect this fact... Just to keep the records straight ;)

Your original thread was also merged in with this thread, while I was originally replying, which added to the confusion a bit - and made the subject a bit more difficult to follow... I might not have jumped in if your query was already merged with this thread. The US model number confused matters a bit also - i.e. ZS7 in North America, and TZ10 everywhere else...

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JTER

Hi Folks, looking to purchase a canon 550 D very soon. I will be buying it in Ireland for various reasons. prices I have seen are around the 850- 900 mark.

Would you expect this camera to be significantly cheaper in the january sales, do such sales exist for cameras etc?. Or would it more be a case of getting a few extras thrown in with the sale?

All replies greatly appreciated , thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Hi mate, I wouldn't expect much of a discount, as the 550d is a recent model. The 500d is more likely to be discounted, if it hasn't been already. I was originally looking for a 550d, but got a good deal on a 500d so went for that, and it's a great camera.

JTER wrote: »
    Hi Folks, looking to purchase a canon 550 D very soon. I will be buying it in Ireland for various reasons. prices I have seen are around the 850- 900 mark.

Would you expect this camera to be significantly cheaper in the january sales, do such sales exist for cameras etc?. Or would it more be a case of getting a few extras thrown in with the sale?

All replies greatly appreciated , thanks

• Advertisement

€35 cashback offer available on the Canon 500D until January 13th.

It could be an idea to check online for cashback offers before purchasing a camera.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement